675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

can you split the callipers on a 2009 daytona?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by ads, Jul 28, 2016.

1. ads

ads

here's another one! can anyone that's serviced their callipers tell me if you can split them or not? i've had a look and am pretty sure they're monoblocks but may well be wrong. any hep will be greatly appreciated.

cheers
    ad

2. cpszx

cpszx

if they are monoblocks, then i think the design means you have to remove the calipers to change pads as the retaining pin section is replaced by a bridge, whereas if they are standard calipers, you have the retaining pin?
    just an easy way to identify them? afaik?

not sure why monoblocks have been specifically designed that way though?

3. hi,
    you are correct, they are monoblock, so no spliting.

i could do you a swap for some nice gold calipers from an earlier daytona that are splitable.

mono blocks are cast (or cnc'd on posh ones) as one part to stop flex where the 2 halves would normally have joined.

4. midgey46

midgey46

Early Daytona calipers are a down grade.

5. shhhhhhhhh!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. ads

ads

lol yeah thanks for the offer steve but think i'll stick with my monoblocks! ;)

so has anyone rebuilt their mono blocks before? and did you use a tool to get the pistons out or did you do it the messy way and just pump them out whilst hooked up to the lines and master cylinder?

cheers

7. Best Answer
    Stick a screwdriver in the middle with the pads out. That means all 4 will come out together then stop before they splurge all over the place. Take out the screwdriver then wiggle each piston out....it should give you enough to get a purchase on each piston then. If they're off the bike you can do the same thing but use an air compressor on the banjo bolt.....mind your fingers!

Photo 26-02-2015 15 26 24.jpg

8. -LG-

-LG-

Do yourself a favour and get your hands on a caliper piston removal tool. Relatively cheap and make the job a breeze.

ho-4253.jpg

9. ads

ads

awesome, thanks fella. that's just the ticket! do the pistons come out ok with the facing one sticking out so much? did you replace your seals too? any other tips would be greatly appreciated! i've stripped callipers before but only on a hornet which was a doddle as they're splittable!

10. ads

ads

thanks for the post mate. i've seen these but have heard they're only any good for turning the piston and not great for pulling out. i've found another tool which may be better for monoblocks...

7220606_L.jpg

11. Yeah they should come out fine from there. If you don't put the screwdriver in you'll get 1 pop out (the one that moves easiest will come all the way out before the others even move) then you'll have no way of getting the others out without a special tool (see above post from @-LG-....oh and yours now:D). Just make sure the first one doesn't come all the way out before the other start to move and you'll be fine.

I didn't replace the seals as they were in good condition. Just flip them out and give them a look over. If they're pitted or disintegrating pop some new ones in, otherwise just a bit of brake/clutch cleaner and give the calipers a good clean before putting the seals back in. For the cost of the seals it might be worth replacing anyway tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ads

ads

cool. cheers dude. i've bought all the new seals already so will def replace them whilst i'm there. wanna give them a good lube up with red rubber grease too.

cheers for this dude :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. -LG-

-LG-

The basic one I put a pic up of is the same unit I used to recently rebuild my mononlocks. Works well at getting the pistons out with ease. Best to find the thinnest one you can as there isn't much room to move.

14. ads

ads

so they held up ok LG? there's a lot of people saying they're useless but guess it depends how seized your pistons are...

15. -LG-

-LG-

They held up fine. Mine are decent quality though. I think they are T&E Tools.

16. ads

ads

cool. think i might give the ones i posted a go. will post up up how i get on when i'm all done

17. I prefer some compressor air to pop out the pistons. Place a wooden block between the pistons. And get them out 1 by 1. Easy and fast. But please be careful (really careful). The pistons pop out at light speed. Don't ask how I know.

18. ads

ads

yeah was tempted to buy an air compressor but those pliers were cheaper! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. ads

ads

Got the brakes done yesterday. The tool I posted worked really well, I'd recommend. They're a bit like mole grips and once you've got a good grip on the inside of the piston you can just rotate and pull out. It's funny coz the hard bit was easy and the easy bit (refilling the lines) was a pain in the arse! Why nissin decided a good place for the bleeder screws was the inside of the calliper I do not know!

20. StMarks

StMarks PTG

That is a useful looking bit of kit @ads , do you have a link to the supplier.?