675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Resetting The TPS Guide

Discussion in 'How To's' started by SiW, Sep 2, 2011.

1. SiW

SiW

This is a very common problem with the 675s. So thought it was about time I wrote a how to guide.
    The TPS or 'Adaptives' should be reset every service or everytime the bike has a different map loaded into the ECU.
    Symptoms of needing the TPS resetting are a hesitation on the throttle between 4000 to 6000rpm. This makes the bike really horrible to ride out of slow corners on the roads.

To do the TPS reset you will need a laptop, TuneECU (any version) and an ODBII to USB cable.
    TuneECU can be downloaded from here http://www.tuneecu.com/
    ODBII cables can be bought from ebay :eek:

To reset the TPS:

1. Connect the ODBII cable to the laptop and the ODBII connector on the bike. This is the multi pin connector under the seat.

2. Turn on the bike (including kill switch). Wait for the bike to go through its checks, about 10 seconds.

3. Now start the TuneECU software.

4. Select "Map Edit" from the top right hand side of the TuneECU screen.
    Wait till the little flickering light in the bottom right of the screen turns green to indicate the software is talking to the ECU.

5. Now from the drop down 'ECU' menu, select 'Reset TPS' or on later versions of TuneECU, select 'Reset Adaption'.

6. Click 'OK' to the next two pop up boxes.

7. Without touching the throttle, start the bike and allow to idle.
    In the bottom left of the TuneECU screen there are three little symbols. The first is battery voltage, a good check for Reg/Rec problems. The second is 'Closed Loop' lambda sensor operating and the third is TPS.
    After a few minutes the 'Closed Loop' symbols should start to light (this may not always happen).
    Then after between five and ten minutes the 'TPS' symbol on the bottom should turn green.

8. When the "TPS' light turns green, job done. Stop the engine and turn the bike off.

9. Disconnect cable.

10. End of procedure.

Don't forget to click the Thanks Button :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Thanks Si,

Pity its only for windows. Apple are lying when they say theres an app for everything.

3. nila

nila Elite Ninja

Thanks Si - You could have saved yourself 6 phone calls if you'd written this a week ago :D lol

4. SiW

SiW

Thought it was 12 calls lol

5. nila

nila Elite Ninja

I was trying to pretend not to be a total spastic!!!!
    ssshhhH!

I've been playing with TuneECU a lot more last couple of days and a load of extra features in there I'm starting to discover. Now I just need to find a cop with a speed gun so I can test my Speedo then see if I need to adjust the speed.

6. Just reading this and I bet you wish had not said that. Good luck with the case.

7. nila

nila Elite Ninja

On the plus side I got to test it lol

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710 using Tapatalk 2

8. Leisky

Leisky

Been having problems with this for a bit now. Tried 4 - 5 times using the TuneEcu manual, wait 10 second method, the youtube video, from the test page. Was waiting over 30 min with no green light. Not sure what diference is as I could hear the electronics working every time I clicked "Reset Adaption" but this is the only way that's worked for me. Cheers SiW.

9. ads

ads

I’ve done this quite a few times successfully now, also a few times unsuccessfully so thought I’d ask... do you HAVE to do the TPS reset from a completely cold engine?

10. Prodigy2Fast4U

Prodigy2Fast4U

11. Prodigy2Fast4U

Prodigy2Fast4U

I had this but still would not clear found the air filter was completely blocked! But its good to do after new filter!