675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

2016 Daytona 675 - Extreme vibrations on the right footpeg.

Discussion in 'General' started by Zigoron, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Zigoron

Zigoron

Hi guys,

I have been experiencing a high frequency vibration on my right footpeg while riding. It just makes my feet numb within 20-30mins of riding. Upon inspecting, the vibration seems to be getting transferred from the engine via arrow slip-on exhaust onto the footpeg as the exhaust mounts on the right footpeg. However when I touch the mid-pipe I don't feel any sort of vibration but then when I touch the end can, I can feel it vibrating at a very high frequency something like a resonance vibration. Also, when I coast the bike by pulling the clutch in I can feel the engine working vibration on the footpeg clearly. Left footpeg is butter smooth, can't feel a thing. To understand this better I have attached a picture.

So, to sort it out, I loosed and tightened all the mounting bolts, it never worked. Then I had some vibration damping pads, so I put it on the mounting bolt and tightened it. The vibration transfer reduced like about 70%, it felt good to ride again. However I took out the bike for a ride today and the vibration is back again and it's driving me nuts!! Why is this happening all of a sudden and how do I fix this?[​IMG]

2. I know you say you've tried adding damping pads but I wonder if it was assembled correctly in the first place with the original rubber bushes and sleeved flange's, because the silencer and midpipe should be rubber isolated from the mountings.
    https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596069/daytona-675r-from-vin-564948/exhaust-system
    A couple of pics showing mine.
    IMGP1310.JPG IMGP1309.JPG

Maybe try tightening them slightly less, not sure what the original torque spec is, obviously you don't on them falling off.
    Although from memory I think mine are pretty tight.

3. Zigoron

Zigoron

Yeah, I just checked my mounts with reference to the pictures you uploaded. It's correct. This footpeg buzzing is getting on my nerves now. The mid pipe seems to have no vibration/buzzing. Only the end can is having lots of high frequency vibrations/buzzing. I do not even feel like taking out my bike now. ugh!

4. Do you have the baffle in or out?
    Maybe part of the silencer has come adrift inside the end can, have you tried revving the bike with the mounting unbolted to prove 100% that's where the vibrations coming from?

5. Zigoron

Zigoron

Baffle out!

I will check tomorrow by removing the mounting bolt to confirm.

6. StMarks

StMarks PTG

I realise that you've identified the source as being the slip-on, but.....

... Have you checked the final drive chain & sprockets recently.??

7. Zigoron

Zigoron

I actually removed my exhaust to inspect and refit. What I found was quite disturbing. Cracks have been formed around the exhaust mounts. The day couldn't get any worse. I have no idea how is that even possible. Couple of my friend's told me that we could gas weld it and see if it sorts out the issue. Sadly, I won't be able to do it immediately because of the Covid-19 lockdown situation in my country.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Zigoron

Zigoron

Yes I did check, however I have found out the issue.
    As posted above, the exhaust end can has formed cracks. :(

9. StephenP

StephenP

Maybe worth contacting triumph and play on the fact the bike isn't that old being a 16 plate.

Never know your luck

10. Zigoron

Zigoron

I wish I could but in my case it wouldn't be possible because I did not get the exhaust from the dealership as it was all sold out and not under production anymore. I got it last year from a person who had a sealed arrow box laying around. However, I could send an e-Mail to Triumph India and see if they could possibly do anything at all.

11. Wasn't expecting that, it must have been leaking as well.
    Hope you can get it repaired, think it's titanium, assume they'll have to remove the packing before welding.
    Just wondering if it was misaligned slightly when it was fitted putting strain on the mounting bracket, I'm going to have a look at mine now to double check there's no cracks starting.

12. StephenP

StephenP

Or maybe contact arrow as it's made by them as I'm sure they'd be interested in why that bracket has failed.

13. Wow lol, I’d double check the manifold/downpipe is on nice and tight first
    And same with the engine mounts
    Then as said the chain and sprockets could be vibrating the engine too

14. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Fwiw the image that @wobblybiker99 posted up for you shows isolating rubber cushion washers on that silencer support bracket, and the image suggests (to me) that it is softly suspended by all that rubber (as the washers don't appear crushed).
    However the image you've posted of the failed silencer shows the indents from a star washer, embedded into the back of the bracket. That suggests the fixing may have been very tight indeed.? (certainly too tight for cushioning rubber to serve it's purpose).
    Your original symptom seems to reinforce that as being the case, and the crux of the issue.

Fwiw I would be reluctant to have someone attempt to weld that. -It's a very thin & temperamental material. If you look at the construction you will see that even the manufacturer prefers to rivet it.
    So would you not be better advised to follow their lead ? - Have a thin sheet formed that can patch over and round the damage. Then drill out the rivets on the support bracket, rivet the formed patch sheet & bracket into place to cover the cracks & return structural integrity to the silencer. Because of where it has failed, a well conceived repair of that approach may hardly detract from the look of your can.
    When you re-fit it, plenty of bushing & rubber washers to avoid that vibration that did this & that you found so uncomfortable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. scaramanga

scaramanga

many years ago when I was 17 my 125 kept fracturing exhaust brackets until I rubber mounted it
    now if its done that there is stress somewhere or just weak metal as others don't seam to have voiced concerns id say its been fitted with a little stress on the exhaust and found the weakest part to twist and eventually split
    as already said id try contact arrow themselves

16. Zigoron

Zigoron

Yeah, I have sent an email to Arrow with the pictures for reference. Hope they reply, I am interested to know what's their view on this.

17. Zigoron

Zigoron

Wow, that's a great observation. Yes, regarding the welding, I have told my welder about it, thanks for the tip! Hopefully, I should be able to fix it.

Is there anyway arrow could make another exhaust.? God! I wish arrow didn't stop the production of the Daytona exhaust, there is still a demand for it. Not to mention, it's considered a replacement part as per my dealer. So if anything should go wrong, we could be in a position to order again just like your regular OEM spares even though the bike has been discontinued.

18. Arrow probably stopped producing it because it’s a terrible exhaust on this model, I had 2 on warranty because the end caps burnt out, it’s just not up to the standard of the normal arrow products and especially the shark mouth on the earlier bikes, they were stunning. Hope you get it sorted

19. That shape arrow exhaust has always been junk, the titanium race system they did for that model however was a work of art

20. Zigoron

Zigoron

Yeah, quality seems a bit off, but the exhaust just makes the bike howl! Too good, quite a unique sound.

Do you have any idea how the Zard Slip-on sounds like on the Daytona? Is it similar to the arrow?