675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Advice on sheep attack by dog

Discussion in 'General' started by Gremlin, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Gremlin

Gremlin

So I'm riding on one of my favourite routes between Hawes and Kirby Stephen when, as I'm approaching a farm, I see sheep in the road coming towards me. They're running scared and I slow right down to a stop, right next to a dog on my left thats attacking a sheep. The sheep is either dead or in shock and the smallish dog is trying to tear a piece out of it..

Just as I'm getting off my bike to try to get the dog off the animal a farmer arrives on his quad and tells me in no uncertain terms to 'f*ck off now'. He's obviously very angry and I do as he says...
    Anyway, did a bit of Googling and was wondering if I need to report this to the Police or do I just leave it as the farmer arrived?

Gotta say, the dog had totally lost it, it wasn't even aware I was there...not sure what I would have done either if the Farmer hadn't shown up but it wasn't a pretty sight!

2. SW73

SW73

No need to report or legal requirement to do so. Farmer will deal. Standby for lots of, 'has anyone seen my dog posters'

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. StMarks

StMarks PTG

+1.
    My next door neighbours had two dogs about 15 years ago. They used to let their dogs run free (we live in a fairly rural location) & I would often see the pair of them miles away from home roaming the bridleways.
    One of my other neighbours is a farmer. He has sheep. One day next door's dogs didn't come home, and all their furtive enquires pointed at the last sighting of the pair on a footpath that lead alongside a field of his sheep that were lambing.
    Needless to say my next door neighbours have since taken a much more restrictive attitude to their subsequent hounds.
    Tough lesson learnt imho, and to the cost of their poor dogs entirely due to their owner's failings.

4. scaramanga

scaramanga

now if the dog was in field id have a different view
    but as the sheep were on the road im on the fence a bit 1 the dog should have been on a lead 2 the farmer should have had his sheep in secure field
    if the farmer has harmed the dog then he is as guilty as the dog owner
    and the farmer im fairly sure had no right to tell you to leave he wont have owned the roads around the field

5. Red675

Red675

Dogs wander off occasionally, it happens, doesnt give any fucker the right to touch someones dogs (and i wouldnt be responsible for my actions if they did.)
    As for killing a dog for attacking a poxy sheep??
    Words fail me. I would be beside myself with rage and it would probably end up like for like.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. TripleJimmy

TripleJimmy Moderator Staff Member

It's called sheep worrying and it is actually an offence

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-46799918

I love dogs and couldn't be without one, it's the owners responsibility to keep there dog under controll. The sheep are the farmers living. Unfortunately under law animals are only considered to be property despite how we feel about them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Red675

Red675

Ever touch my dog and ill do more than worry their sheep, its not even close to being up for debate as far as im concerned.

Dogs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>People>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sheep

8. Bigmac

Bigmac

How do you feel about cats si?

9. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

Are we still talking dogging? If so I’m in hehe

One flash for watch,
    Two for join in

That kinda thing?

• Like Like x 1
  10. StMarks

StMarks PTG

All very valid points imho
    Like TJ, I love my dogs mate, & I have to admit that (like yourself) rate their company above many humans.
    However they are OUR responsibility.: A good responsible dog owner is very unlikely to have an issue with their pet attacking sheep. That is simply because (despite every dog's core programming telling it to chase down & attack prey) a caring owner would avoid letting their dog get into the situation. The dog needs humans to perform that role for them, they are incapable doing so for themselves.
    Lastly, every sheep farmer I have ever known has been a dog lover. Collies are their No1 most valuable and valued asset, also their closest friend in some cases. So I would expect that having to shoot a rouge dog, even if it is ravaging their sheep, would probably be very distressing for most sheep farmers.?

:runningdog:

11. Red675

Red675

Bastard little things ;))

12. Red675

Red675

Farmers dont shoot stray dogs, only arseholes do mate.
    If my dog is causing mischief, speak to me and i will make sure it doesnt happen again.
    Just my 2p worth.:)

13. D41

D41

Causing mischief is one thing...costing someone money is something else entirely.
    It'd be Doggie-Heaven-Time as far as I'm concerned.

14. Red675

Red675

As bigmac said what about cats that shit over everyones gardens and vegetables?

OK to shoot them too?

Whats stopping someone saying "im terribly sorry my dog cost you a sheep mr farmer, here let me recompence you and make sure it never happens again". Instead of someone taking the law into their own hands.

As far as im aware no fucker has a god given right to shoot anything in the UK. Weve seen what a completely grotesque mess others have made of that particular piece of legislation.

15. farmer1

farmer1

Cant see any farmer shooting a dog for a one off incident.
    Most dog owners are responsible and keep their pets under control/on a lead when near farm animals.
    Some owners however just dont care, I have had to have a polite word with a local man who let's his dog run off the lead near my livestock causing them considerable stress, he told me in no uncertain terms with several expletives thrown in for good measure that I had no right to tell him to put his dog on the lead, I politely explained that if I saw his dog out of control like that again I would shoot it, and I meant it!
    Most farmers will see/know all the dogs/owners who regularly walk across their land and would only take serious action against repeat offenders.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Red675

Red675

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Lol.
    However, two wrongs don't make a right do they mate.? ;))

• Like Like x 1
  18. farmer1

farmer1

Youd get a few steaks out of him lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. D41

D41

You don't shoot him, you terminate him.

And by the way...who names a bull Arnold?? Douche.