675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Anybody got an alarm fitted, that's not a Datatool. (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'General' started by Sulaco161, May 15, 2018.

1. Sulaco161

Sulaco161

I've been wanting to fit an alarm, not for insurance purposes(not paying £300 for a tenner a year off!!!) but for my piece of mind. I've done my research into the factory fit Datatool, most agree it's a piece of s**t. Although some have no problems. I like the idea of plug'n'play. Found this on E-bay:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-...152990?hash=item2c9ab5971e:g:B6gAAOSwMYRaV2sw
    They also have various alarms that you can connect to it, really cheap compared to big brand alarms, have good feedback, think I might give them a punt, unless you know better. Do you have something else fitted?

2. Stu675

Stu675

3. ads

ads

Never had a problem with my datatool if that helps

4. Sulaco161

Sulaco161

Yeah cheers I spotted that, I did ring them and they said that alarm is for French market!!! why sell it here then? I was told this one is the one I would need: http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_part_number_lookup?partdes=pfkl1191504. I have ordered one, but I'm still half expecting it to be the fitting kit only, if it is they can expect a return, but the nice lady did say it was the alarm. The pic below the item also shows an alarm. Fingers crossed.

5. Sulaco161

Sulaco161

Yeah have ordered one, I think some people moan about them, because they don't understand how to operate it properly. Anyway it's on it's way.

6. ads

ads

Yeah and maybe how it’s been fitted. Suppose you’ll find out anyway! Like I say mine has been as good as gold over the past 6 years

7. Rawhide

Rawhide

Mine was fitted fine and I knew exactly how to use it. Still packed up on me!!! Like most things they work fine until they don’t!
    Also had one on my old zx636 and that packed up too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sulaco161

Sulaco161

Well it's arrived, gonna fit it myself, not worried about the certificate for insurance, it's for my own piece of mind (and my local Triumph dealer wanted between £125-£165 to fit it!!!). Have got full fitting instructions, and user manual supplied. I can't believe they are/were knocking them out for less than £70. I'm planning on fitting it on my next day off, dealer reckons an hour to an hour and a half for fitting extra for set-up, having looked at the instructions, I reckon <45 mins to fit, 15-20 mins to set-up. Cost: FREE.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Billy1mate

Billy1mate

I've used one on my last 2 bikes with no trouble. I am the same as you, it's just a bit of extra piece of mind.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sulaco161

Sulaco161

It's done! 47 mins from start to finish (I even impressed myself). Took longer to program the pin number than anything else. Tested it worked properly by taking it off it's stand and pushing it away, it's nice and loud!!!! Took a few mins to try various modes will take a while to remember them, but it's not rocket science. Well here's to looking a numpty when the alarm goes off during re-fueling, and forgetting to disarm it before I get on it and attempt to ride away. But we live and learn. I'm happy with my purchase for now, but at least by fitting it myself I get to keep the bypass plug thingy, so its easy enough to swap back if it becomes a pain. Oh and I saved a fortune, think I'll get me that quickshifter now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stu675

Stu675

Excellent news! Was it easy enough following the instructions then?

12. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Have you got an Optimiser yet Sulaco161 ?

13. Sulaco161

Sulaco161

Really easy to fit, entering pin etc a bit more taxing but overall a nice simple job.

14. Sulaco161

Sulaco161

I have a solar jobbie, fortunate to get lots of sun here in Cornwall, I'm sure the battery will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sulaco161

Sulaco161

Well the alarm has been fitted for just over a month now, No issues, easy to use, no dead battery, no false alarms, no accidental alarm triggers when refueling. All good, glad I decided to take the chance.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kayot1k

Kayot1k

Mate, just purchased a 14' 675R and was keen on getting the factory alarm installed also. Have you looked into how easy they are to disable/bypass? I was reading around and a bunch of people saying how easy it was to disable the alarm using some kind of plug or something.
    keen to know what your thoughts, triumph showing them for 400 RRP through their online shop.
    https://shop.triumphmotorcycles.com/various/id-A9808064/Alarm_Immobilizer

17. Sulaco161

Sulaco161

Yeah did look at this, but as with all plug and play alarms, it is as simple as disconnecting the alarm and re-installing the bypass plug. But to do this you have to not trigger the movement sensor, get the seat off without triggering reed switch and then if it has been installed correctly, cut away the shrink wrap around the plug, then re-install the by pass plug (all this time the alarm will be screeching even once unplugged). But if someone really wants your bike then they will have it, It's about making it a pain in the ass for them. If there is a unalarmed bike parked around the corner, that then becomes the easy option. I only fitted the alarm for my own piece of mind, Triumph here were selling them for silly money at the time(£66.00 + £4.50 P&P) I don't think I would have paid full price for it. They also wanted £150 for fitting and set up. I fitted mine myself using Triumph's own installation guide they give to the technicians. I followed it to the letter, set it up myself, as per instructions, took no time at all. The only thing I don't have is the paperwork for insurance purposes, so I haven't declared it on my policy. I did get a quote for the alarm being fitted(and certified) and it came back a massive £1.99 cheaper, so not worth declaring anyway.

You should have a bypass plug fitted it looks like this: Maybe be different on newer bikes
    download.jpg
    On the under seat exhaust models, it is under the rider seat tucked in by the rear of the fuel tank, on your right as you sit on the bike.
    Triumph techs also keep this plug in the UK, so if your alarm plays up for any reason you have to take it back to a dealer. I still have mine so I can easily remove or disable my alarm when I like.