675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

ARGG!!... Insurance

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Craig, Jan 19, 2011.

1. My misses works for NIG group and I used to work for one of their sister companies. NIG have stopped doing all personal lines insurance (cars, Bikes and home insurance). NIG and Devit are all owned by RBS and as we know they fooked right up on the banking side so making cuts on their other divisions.

2. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

Mmm, any tips on getting the best deal? I need to sort mine next week really.

3. Bikesure were by far the best for me. BE realistic with your mileage, make sure kept in garage overnight if at all possible, don't worry about having an excess of around £500 as you wouldn't claim for anything but major damage as loss of any no claims would make future premiums stupid. Don't carry a pillion as a discount often applies for excluding this cover, say no to their legal expenses cover. They will charge around £20 for this and 90% will be going in brokers pocket, this is on top of their small commission (around 7.5%) and their admin fee of between £25 to £40. Don't just accept 1st price say you have cheaper but be reasonable. No good saying you can get it £100 cheaper when its quite obvious you can't as they will just walk away.

Also avoid their direct debit schemes (usually via Premium Credit or CLose Premium Finance). They will be charging this at a flat rate of around 12% for 10 instalments. They get is at around 5% to 7% and then add their over rider. Because of small commissions on M/cycle insurance this is how they make more money, hence they will always be looking to put you on DD scheme.

4. Captain Steffydog

Great thanks, I did low but reasonable miles, same as this year, no pillion, garage, I can reduce my premium if I up the xcess, maybe your right, I wouldn't claim for a small knock, mmm, I guess then I'm at 296 with a 500 excess, do you think I can haggle it to £250 ish and get £275? I'll pay on my card in one hit. And you get free help if you need a claim generally. And breakdown is covered on my AA.

Thanks again, appreciate your post.

5. Anything under£300 for comp cover on group 16 bike (the 675 is generally 1 group higher than other 600's) is good. Also postcode has major effect on premiums, just by moving a couple of miles can make premiums go up or down. I would try the if you can do £270 I'll pay over phone now. They may have something in it. Otherwise ask them what their admin fee is (they have to tell you under FSA rules) and ask them if they can knock this off from 1st years premium. Good luck (oh how I love insurance, only another 24 hours and I will be back in work) :?

6. Captain Steffydog

Cool, I'll try it, they have said I'm getting 15% off for doing it on line rather than calling, I'm sure that's pants, I'll ring on Monday and see if I can close it out

7. I have just used tesco compare and Devitt comes up the cheapest at £137 with £400 excess or £154 with £250 excess. that is them using aviva.

I will phone them up now as I have a bike safe certificate to bring that price down.

8. Captain Steffydog

Blimey, must be your big NCB and postcode. I'll try Tesco today.

9. Guys watch tesco I know 2 people who got screwed by them. My sisters boyfriend had his Bonnie through them and when he phoned to change his address they spouted some shut about he had the wrong license and they could no longer insure him and they cancelled his policy. He has a full uk motorcycle license!!! He's started a formal complaint against them.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

11. Captain Steffydog

Im a bit confused, because Tesco are just doing the search, i just did mine with them and its the same deal as with MCN from yesterday, but its through Motorcycle Direct and supplied by Aviva, so why would you call Tesco? Id call Aviva or the broker MCDirect? am i missing something?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

13. Captain Steffydog

Ah I see, Stu quoted the comparison one, not direct. Ok, I'll steer clear as it's the same as the MCN one. Ta! Makes sense now.

14. yeah steffy do beware

sisters boyfriend has a full uk motorcycle and car license, has done for years.

he went through tesco compare, which ended up being with motorcycle direct through aviva !

they decided that his license is'nt the correct license for their policies. how they fookin came up with this is a complete mystery. he's lost 7 months no claims but is going to the insurance ombudsman about it.

15. All Tesco's compare is, is a comparsion site like Go Compare etc. Insurers and brokers sign up to these sites, you enter your details and each company quotes. The big game with this is that each insurer is trying to be No1 on the list so you will often find the cheapest quote is not providing the actual cover you require (massive excess, no protected NCD etc etc.) These sites rely on you interpretting their questions correctly and it can be very easy to fall foul and end up with a policy which is not worth the paper its written on. Mod's will be prime example as even putting a double bubble screen on is a mod and if you don't declare and they find out they can void the insurance. Buyer beware

16. Captain Steffydog

I can't protect my NCB as i only have 2 years, and i've checked the Exc, incl' the volurary.

I went with the £296 and £500Exc, also got cover to ride other bikes, hope my mates will lend me therr R1's to have a go on and European cover, never no, all included...My AA covers breakdown, so im happy..

My present company wanted £521 with £500 Ex thats a whopping £225 saved!

17. Davetona

Davetona Moderator Staff Member

Just renewed mine again with Footman James. Fully Comp. 4 yrs NCB, £400 excess, Unlimited mileage, Any other M/c, Uk & European breakdown, Euro travel insurance, Arrow, Gilles, Pazzos listed...................£260 :D

18. Captain Steffydog

Dave, do the extra add much to the price?

19. Davetona

Davetona Moderator Staff Member

Nothing! She checked for me because I said I wanted them listed.

20. Captain Steffydog