675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Bike failed to start

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by LeeB, Jul 20, 2017.

1. LeeB

LeeB

Went to my bike last night to go home after work, and it wouldn't start. Dead as a Dodo!

Battery was measuring 11.6v before starting, then once it was jumped, dropped to 11.4ish while running. So it looks like it's not getting charged. I guess this suggests the old reg/rec issue? The battery isn't 2 years old yet.

This is the first sign of any issues, I've had no other symptoms at all.

I actually had my reg/rec replaced FOC in the recall about 4/5 years ago too :-(

So does anyone have any advice / experience of what make to replace it with, OEM, Elected etc, and how have they lasted since?

2. cpszx

cpszx

check the stator output separately to the reg/rec output, as the problem could be either of those.

no point shelling out for another reg/rec when it might be ok.

3. StMarks

StMarks PTG

^^ This.!

Also check all main connectors, especially the connectors that connect the stator to the loom (under the rear of the tank) and the ones on the Regulator/Rectifier. Also, some of the earliest replacement R&Rs that Triumph installed were the old type, rather than the later upgraded MOSFET one.. -chck which one you have.

4. Electric kid

Electric kid

So this might be unusual, but had a problem with a mates bike. Turned out to be corrosion on the main earth at the back of the engine.