675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Bike handed back after service with faulty brakes!

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by wobblybiker99, Jun 8, 2016.

1. wobblybiker99

wobblybiker99

Thought i'd start a new thread to the one about the time delays as this is a more serious issue.
    Picked the bike up today after the 12,000mls service, the "technician" did a handover and went through the jobs they'd done, removing the front calipers for cleaning was the final job.
    As soon as i pulled away i could tell something wasn't right with the front brakes, the lever felt really soft. At first i thought maybe the pistons aren't fully out but when i stopped in traffic after only 100m i noticed the span adjuster had been moved from my normal midway setting of 3, to fully out 6, when i put it back to my normal setting the lever went back to the bars, i turned around and went straight back.
    I showed him the problem and he said they only removed the calipers and hadn't changed the fluid as it was done last year, he did a quick bleed while i waited and the lever was back to normal.
    Firstly i can't believe the bike was test ridden in that condition and they were happy with it, and second and more worrying, somebody purposely moved the span adjuster out to its max setting to try and get some brakes instead of realizing that the brake lever coming back to the bars is the sign of a fault and should be investigated.
    I didn't bring it up with the manager at the time as i just wanted to get home (there was a thunderstorm looming:p) but they usually do a follow up call in a few days, plus they mentioned a triumph survey.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. Get them told. Now. That's not fuckin good enough. It's a safety critical item and they've gaffed it off. Or made a mistake but I'd think that adjusting the lever kinda gives the impression that they were aware of a problem.
    Leaving it gives the impression that you're 'not that bothered'. So get on the phone or better get back in there and tell them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Shocking service from them. As above, escalate it. Just read your other thread about not having any spark plugs in stock. What a joke! Hope you get a satisfactory resolution from this, though in my experience they will probably fob you off with a lame excuse.

4. 23Dark

23Dark

Name and shame?

Cancel my last just read your other thread

5. StephenP

StephenP

I'd be fucking fuming if they left my brakes like that, thats not good enough. If they worked when you went in, they undid something and let air in, it doesn't get into the system without help. Fucking idiots.

6. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Have you identified what is actually causing the sponginess mate.? Have they fitted new brake pads as well.? Or perhaps the calipers have been refitted incorrectly.?

7. wobblybiker99

wobblybiker99

The brakes were spot on when i dropped it off, It must have got air in somehow, they've definitely had the calipers off because i paint mark the bolts when i work on them but they shouldn't have any reason to break the lines. It not so much that it happened its the fact they didn't notice or thought it was acceptable and adjusted the span adjuster to try and bodge it.

8. He's prob right about not taking them off but I bet one of the Pistons came out to far when they cleaned them hence problem

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. W_esty

W_esty

Would you like Phillips or Robs email addresses?

10. wobblybiker99

wobblybiker99

Thanks W_esty, are they service manager or Youles Blackburn manager?
    You can PM me the email addresses if you like:smileup:

11. W_esty

W_esty

Will PM you now with addresses
    Phillip is the owner of both BBurn & Manchester branches
    Rob is the manager of Blackburn but I think also senior to the guy who runs Manchester

My family have had only good service (probably by the dint of 3x new bikes in 6 months)

12. That's seems strange. Surly they should of taken another look if it didn't feel right. Did the technician have an off day, tired, maybe he questioned himself on what he felt, felt rushed etc. Which ever one he should of investigated again.

After the bleed they were fine??

13. Stu675

Stu675

Don't suppose you saw him bleed them? If you did, did you see air being removed from the system?

14. Certainly a question mark about their test ride; if the span adjuster was initially left at its original setting :eek. Fwiw when I got my bike back after its 12k service the throttle was really snatchy at 5-6k rpm making the bike virtually unrideable. It turned out a new map had been loaded that was the wrong one - so much for their test ride eh. This makes me think it's work checking mileage before taking a bike in and after picking it up; albeit checking the mileage probably wouldn't have helped in your case though as its possible they knew there was full travel and then adjusted the setting.

15. wobblybiker99

wobblybiker99

Found another example of Youles poor standards today, NO, the bike definitely has not been back there:mad:

Doing oil and filter change myself after the winter storage, found a coolant hose not fully on and the jubilee clip fitted crooked and just on the edge of the hose, i presume they had this off during the coolant change in 2015. Its definitely been off at some point as there is another witness mark further along the hose.
    clip before.jpg
    You can see in the next picture how little of the hose was under the clip, in fact as soon as i touched it with a socket to undo it slipped off the end of the hose.
    clip.jpg
    Here it is after i pushed the hose on fully and tightened the jubilee clip.
    fixed.jpg

Oil filter was a pig to undo, filter wrench nearly split it before it finally moved, i wouldn't be surprised if they overtightened that as well, its only been on 2000miles. :wall:

16. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Good thing you found that mate.
    Best spanner man for any bike IMHO, is always going to be yourself. ;))

17. SW73

SW73

I'm going to give Clive Wood a go. Gets a good write up and people rave about his attention to detail. @StMarks is probably correct but I simply haven't the knowledge. Clive apparently lets you watch so I may pick up enough to do a minor service. Hope there's nothing else loose. It really gets my goat when you've paid top dollar to have someone leave things in a mess.

18. RICH675

RICH675

Who is Clive Wood?