675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

BikeSafe course

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by Tally, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Tally

Tally

Yesterday I went to the police HQ at Colwyn Bay for the Bike Safe Course. North wales (infact I think its throughout wales) are only charging £10 for the one day course.
    Ive already done the IAM course and volunteered as an IAM observer but still found the class room session useful. No bad thing to revisit IPSGA and I found it sharpened my hazard awareness. The afternoon session was what Id really gone for and that was spending the afternoon, in the sun, on the moors of North Wales with a police officer. Got some superb advice and to watch him ride was cool. So smooth and planning so far in advance. Well worth it even if youve been riding a while and or done other training.
    Safe riding
    Chris

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. StephenP

StephenP

I went and it was crap, got paired with a woman who didn't go above 50mph, it's embarrassing on a dual carriageway with cars overtaking.

The copper was nice, said my riding was fine, except I found myself going slower and having to stop meant I'd hang around at junctions so the little Dorris could catch up.

Then he had the cheek to say her riding was smooth like mine and that I could of gone at junctions or overtaken down the lanes when I didn't. Figured at 25 or slower in the bends it would be smooth. She's in more danger of falling off from going too slow.

Would of been fine if I'd been paired with my cousin as we were the only two on sports bikes, everyone else was on a touring bike.

Good information but the second part was spoiled for me, took his advice and went on a ride with an IAM rider, won't be doing that again as the guy said I'm fairly up to speed on my riding.

My cousin said on his that the woman told him to put his right foot down when stopping, always thought that was to cover your back brake.

3. Stu675

Stu675

That's a shame you didn't have a good experience of bike safe. The copper should have told you to ride your own ride and forget about the other one you were riding with.
    As regards the IAM yes you are subject to volunteers who can be a bit shit but we are trying to be more consistent with our advice, and not apply silly rules.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. StephenP

StephenP

Oh he did say to ride to my own pace, but we would of lost her at the first junction/roundabout. And then ended up going back to find her, I knew this the moment we hit the first bit of road and she dropped off the pace.

5. Red675

Red675

I know this is goes against everything we were taught on the direct access but I think that’s a load of shit. I always have my foot on the gears (ready to engage) and use my right foot as the grounded one. We were told it had to be the other way round in case your hand slipped off the front brake lever. WTF? How on earth would that happen? Decided to go with what I felt comfortable with and it turns out in 6 years my hand's never slipped once.

6. Tally

Tally

I can understand your pain. That sounds like a poor job of matching experience and ability. I was definitely lucky to get a police officer and get him 1-1. He was rapid but so so smooth. It was class. advanced training has got itself, and rightly so for some part, a bad reputation for being dogmatic stuffy and up its own arse. I was lucky never to get observers who were like that. We always cracked on and it was all about the system, hazard awareness and being smooth. I can understand people's bad experiences and teaching people about feet and pedals isn't very advanced but I still personally can't get enough training. I'll never be good enough. Like Stu675 says its definitely getting better in regards to silly rules etc

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tally

Tally

Police man told me to get on track and get off road. Who am I to argue with an officer of the law ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Red675

Red675

thats where we'd have parted company i think

9. Scottyjm675

Scottyjm675

Hey guys sorry to bring a thread back from last year, but what is to be expected on a bike safe or IAM course? Are they worth the money? Also, riding with a police officer what's to be expected ? Speed limits or riding with spirit ;) ?

Cheers

10. I enjoyed it on the whole. Only thing I was picked up on was "not anticipating corners and having to brake instead of rolling off well in advance".
    Yeah right then.....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. StephenP

StephenP

Waste of a day when I did a bikesafe. Firstly got paired with a woman who couldn't ride and nearly cried cause she didn't like being followed.

Had to wait every single time I led, never changed gear when I was following, seriously so slow.

Then during the review the policeman had the cheek to tell me I was slow at overtaking and pulling into round abouts, no shit sherlock, did you want to lose the slow ass bitch at the back.

Funny comment was my cornering was smooth and so was hers, I'm amazed she stayed upright at walking pace speed.

Maybe if I'd been paired with my cousin who was the only other sports bike rider the day would of gone better, otherwise it was pointless.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Ntecuk

Ntecuk

Your definitely pot luck with who your paird with.
    I did mine with essex fire bike.
    I did the follow bit .
    Instructor asked me what I though .
    Chipped in with some comments.

Then my go.through tothe Dunmow lanes
    Stop instructor asked the other geza.
    " I was at least two corners behind"
    Best join an advanced group 1-2-1 road skills .
    Or track day school if you don't want to keep getting a bolicking about speeding.

13. Ff6022

Ff6022

^^^^^^ its unfortunate your experiences were like this. Initially the instructors should pair you with someone of similar ability, their fault not yours but you can put the suggestion forth as they should be approachable as they are there to teach you how to be safe. Again pace is instructors discretion but normally it is quick, they know why people have bikes, to get places quick and to have a Sunday blast (they are bikers).
    On my bike safe day I turned up with a clearly illegal exhaust and number plate and not an eye was battled. AGAIN they want to teach you to be SAFE while progressing.
    Also it's not track day lines, it's different.
    Finally Bike safe is a stepping stone course. It's designed to give you further techniques but to encourage people to further their skills via IAM etc.......
    Also if you your with a class 1 rider for the Police you won't keep up safely if they are on it.
    Also not bashing guys above but that is what the course should be like, it's a shame their experiences were different.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Ntecuk

Ntecuk

I've learnt a lot from CADAM.
    Yes I have got an ear bending over speeding etc.
    But it's made me a safer idiot lol

15. RICH675

RICH675

Clare and I both did our IAM course.
    It gave her tons more confidence in her own and bikes abilities.
    Think she needs a refresher tho
    It was a good course imho.
    Safer,progressive riding.anticipation,
    Just a few words you here on the course.
    Most instructors are very experienced riders who are flipping quick. NOT all police or ex police. BUT do keep to within the parameters of the law whilst "teaching" or observing as they call it. All my observed rides were on a 1 to 1 basis with s short lecture/study session. You have to join the IAM to do it. But it's a life long skill to reduce insurance costs.
    But from personal experience, they remove the hi viz vests once a session is complete and certainly don't mind going back out for a "proper play".
    Do the course as you will pick something up and that won't be a bad thing if it makes you quicker or safer.
    there are also discounts/freebies the IAM provide. I got 12months FULL RAC cover when I joined up. Look at the cost of that compared to the £65 I think I paid.
    We used to give the observer fuel money for the mornings ride (9am - 12pm) and buy a coffee too.
    Hope this helps you decide.

• Like Like x 3
  16. treesr

treesr

Do the IAM course. Concentrate on seeing the bigger picture.. that is: looking far enough ahead and making a riding plan, so that you can be in the right position, in the right gear, at the right speed, for whatever hazard you need to negotiate. It is a constantly changing road and you need to be able to observe, anticipate, and prioritise, in double quick time. Once you have learnt 'the system' it will improve your ride, however you ride. Don't get caught up in the stupid minutae that some observers obsess about. You'll need to take note of the detail to pass your test, but the real thing youre gaining is the skill, not the badge. Learning the system has saved my life. I know it.
    Dont be put off by the sea of grey that'll meet you at many clubs.. they're all teenagers in their brains (well no, some are boring old farts, avoid at all costs) and there are endless tweaks and tips to help you improve and enjoy your riding every time you get on your bike.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Stu675

Stu675

The Policeman should have made it clear to you before you went out that it is your responsibility to demonstrate your riding to the best of your ability and his responsibility to ensure that no one gets lost.
    It's a shame that you were so badly paired up, I would like to think it would be worth going back to try it again, or take it further by trying IAM.

18. StephenP

StephenP

As much as you try to believe him saying its his job not to lose anyone, I knew the second I take off we'll be going back to find her. Bit pointless then.

19. Ntecuk

Ntecuk

Just to add to joining Rospa or the IAM.
    We also did a skill's day .
    Going through the cones . figure of 8 .
    Locking the from wheel.A swerve test.
    Ok I know that the CBT does this kind of thing.
    But then again I had never done a CBT (I'm 55 after all).
    And it's been a lot of water under the bridge since I did my "Star Rider" on my FS1E.
    I taught me alot.
    I'm glade I did it on my ZX6 f2 basic old fashioned no abs..
    I'd definitely do it again because you just don't use those skills very often.
    And it can now do a "U" ie without feet everywhere. Ok not as smooth as I'd like but then I need to practice more.
    It's definitely worth joining up.