675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Bloody pothole

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by JohnnyPS4, Mar 30, 2015.

1. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

So yesterday while heading through hazel grove to Manchester bike show I managed to ping my car wheel in one of the biggest potholes known to man. Put a dint in the car wheel and a flat tyre.
    Then to add insult to injury I couldn't get the pissing locking but off because the garage monkeys had tightened it with an air gun (we think) so had to get it recovered by a different garage thankfully.

This

Has resulted in this

Safe to say the bills going to be huge, another wheel, new tyre, recovery charge and labor

So if anyone is riding through hazel grove/Stockport please take care, the roads are shagged, this beauty is near the mcdonalds nearby, I'd hate to find out a bikes hit it.

Attached Files:

2. Holy shit, that's a bloody crater not pot hole! Send these pics to the local council asking them to pay for the damage.

3. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

I am doing mate, I've sent them one already telling them about it and saying that if a bike hits it that it could throw them off and kill someone, only takes a car to run over you. What gets me is it's a main road not a backroad.

I've taken these photos and a couple more, and going to collect all the receipts for the work, has anyone else had to deal with something like this at all? anything else I'd need to do?

4. Bigmac

Bigmac

I think it is advised to take a photo of the pothole with a lampost in view as that is how they locate them and with a paper in it. They have apparently got a habit of filling them and then denying it was there when you had your incident so you need to prove the day.

5. I'll ask my workmate in the mornin, he hit 1 near home in Staffordshire last year.
    As I recall he sent in photos of the damage & the pothole, they paid up promptly but he's got more jam than Hartley's so carnt be sure yours will be so quick

6. mush

mush Yam Black Country Lad

Council are responsible mate also if poss go check the pothole in the morning if I remember correct they have a 8 hour window to get the road temporary repaired (may have changed now)if not goes even better for you..

But my knowledge is a few years out of date but should still stand...

7. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

Thanks for the advice gents! I was hoping to go back with a tape and measure it. Good thinking about the newspaper, I'll do that.

8. cloughie

cloughie

As said take pictures of lamppost etc they advise that but then lie about when its been filled !! Well they did when I smash into one on the Mille I used to own !! Hope you have a different outcome than I did with the council !!

9. That's rough and bloody dangerous.

I wonder how long the pothole has been there before being reported to council.

With all the revenue being generated from the parking and speed enforcement jockeys then there should be eff all excuse for poor roading.

10. Rossgo

Rossgo

Blinking heck that's massive damage. Council best pay up, it's their bloody fault at the end of the day, they should be looking after our roads that we pay for.

Good luck with this and please let us know what goes on. I'm sure there will be a fair few who would like the information for future reference

11. That's 'austerity' for you.

12. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

I'll keep you guys updated with how I get on. Not had a reply to the email I sent yet, just waiting for an invoice from the garage for recovery and labor charge etc
    The advice is appreciated, thanks guys

13. Alonso92

Alonso92

Let us know how it goes, I tried claiming for damages after hitting a pothole two years back in London. After a lot of chasing and a couple of back and fourth email the council (can't remember if it was City or Islington) kept putting the blame on other people and if I remember correctly I gave up chasing them after the blamed the road maintenance people and sent me their work log which was very hard to understand

14. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

Quick update on this, revived the invoice for repair work on Friday, £240 ouch! Add 85 for another front wheel and were talking arrow end can money :(

Managed to have an online chat with someone from Stockport council who's sending out a form for me to complete, fingers are tightly crossed!

Also to note there was a bust water pipe nearby, hummm....and the crater has now been filled in

15. You have the proof and dated evidence mate they have to pay out.

I've had this on my Gsxr Srad, rode in one at night was 58mm deep shattered my wheel I came off and wrote bike off. Pitch black side street because of the failure to fix anything in derby.

The policy is if it's deeper then 40mm they repair the hole and replace items damaged.

If not take them to court, you have proof bills of repair and do NOT get it fixed until they pay.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 23Dark

23Dark

• Like Like x 1
  17. ubik

ubik

18. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

That's handy to know, sadly I've had to get the repairs done because of work.

Dark that had me in stitches!

19. emma-lou

emma-lou

Damn dark you beat me to it! ;) I'll have to use it on the politics thread!

20. Rossgo

Rossgo

Dark that is brilliant haha!! We need wanksy on all our roads