675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? 2006daytona No start 5 weeks on

Discussion in 'General' started by Danny Brooking, Jul 19, 2018.

1. StMarks

StMarks PTG

The harness plug that goes into the instruments will prevent the engine from firing if it's not completely connected (i.e. not fully inserted, or has some dodgy connector terminals that are not properly mating).
    I had an off last year that smashed my nosecone area & completely ripped the instruments off. Whilst patching her up for the next session, I discovered that unplugging my instruments would stop the engine.
    Hth.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Danny Brooking

Danny Brooking

thanks I have ordered a new instrument plug as it does look dodgy

3. 6sense

6sense

Did you mention you had the tank off? If so I swapped the D675 tank for a Street tank last year and innocently connected the breathing tubes around the wrong way. The bike will crank but would not start. After a bit of panicking and near meltdown, quick swap of the breathers and it started first time.

Hope you get it sorted, these things are sent to try us.

4. Rikki Elliott

Rikki Elliott

I pushed my bike for 5 miles to Blade in Swindon, she died on the motorway but after 10 minutes would start and run for a short while, the fuel pump connector had become displaced so she would run rough and then die. Do you hear the fuel pump kick in when you first turn her on? If not it might be the same issue, good luck.

5. Danny Brooking

Danny Brooking

Yes I have had tank off several times
    And its totally depressing now!I will post an update

6. Danny Brooking

Danny Brooking

UPDATE
    so I put a new plug on the cluster with new pins and try to start the bike.its started up ran a little rough for a minute and then seemed fine!I took it up the road came back ,then I swapped out both ,my other cluster and ECM to test them as well.Started up fine,took it for another run down the road and back.turned it off and started it maybe half a dozen times with no problem
    I go in this morning and guess what....I starts runs rough for a second and shuts down.I was like what is going on!I tried again and it cranks trys to start but won't start ,then it gets to the stage where it doesn't even sound like it wants to fire, just cranks.I swap the ECM back and still not starting ,I swap relays out ,still not starting ,I charge battery because its getting low and still not starting????
    Im starting to suspect battery and R/R ? but it seems wierd that it was running fine yesterday and I did put a multimeter on it while running ,it was about 14V or 14.4V ,is that too high?
    This thing totally messed up my good vibe today, like a kick in the nuts

7. scaramanga

scaramanga

14.4 volts is right for running and fully charging

8. Danny Brooking

Danny Brooking

ok thanks
    Im totally lost as to what is wrong with it then
    And it has no engine codes or anything
    The only other thing is the speedo doesn't work which I am guess is the sensor

9. Danny Brooking

Danny Brooking

OK so today it seems I can get the bike running by holding a bit of throttle when I crank it over??It ran very rough for about 30secs to a minute and then seems to come right.It won't start unless I hold some throttle until the bike is warmed up ,then it will start as normal
    Any ideas?

10. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Could it be a faulty temperature sensor.? (I'm thinking it may send a falsely high reading to the ECU, which is then setting injectors mixture to be normal mix rather than slightly richer for a cold start.? )

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Danny Brooking

Danny Brooking

I was reading in the manual last night that the speed sensor also send information to the ECM to determine the idle air control valve setting and I know the speed sensor might be faulty because the cluster doesn't read kmh/mph even when riding so hopefully it is that?Temp gauge seems to work fine

• Like Like x 1
  12. Danny Brooking

Danny Brooking

honestly don't think Ill ever buy a triumph again

13. scaramanga

scaramanga

ive had mine 5 years and only problem ive had is the front pipes which were replaced out of warranty

the only other problem is the british weather

14. Danny Brooking

Danny Brooking

Lucky you, you better touch wood though !
    my bike drove from the last guys house to my garage ,all of 3mins and has been there ever since apart from a ride up the road and back.My problem is we don't have a Triumph service here in the South Island of NZ ,and I don't have the money to let some random mechanic start playing around and replacing parts that I don't need.I've tested everything I can at this stage but still feel its something I've done when taking things off that has left it not able to start.I bought a new battery that was recommend got it home and then find it doesn't fit in the battery compartment ,they seemed to have increased the battery capacity somewhere along the way with the 675
    Can take it back because I already put the acid in the battery .Cant seem to win Lol

15. Get on eBay and buy the later 2009-2012 battery tray, or put up a wanted add on here, someone will have one and likely to be cheaper than another battery.

16. scaramanga

scaramanga

take the battery back as they sold you the wrong 1
    its upto them to supply the right 1 for the age of bike if you gave them correct details

17. I've seen this on more than one Daytona mine included. Won't fire unless you open the throttle slightly

18. Danny Brooking

Danny Brooking

Do you think it will bolt straight on>?

19. Danny Brooking

Danny Brooking

UPDATE <GOOD NEWS
    So don't ask me how but now its seems to be working?
    I suspect it was either the idle air stepper motor got jammed up a bit or the battery somehow .even though I am using the same original battery it seems to be starting fine now even without cracking the throttle!
    I replaced the speed sensor which was faulty and it started straight up,took it for a spin and speedo is now reading!Off and on no problem ,left it for 30mins and wouldn't start even with holding the throttle.recharged the battery ,it started and its hasn't had a problem since.I have started it at least 50 times since then on the old original battery.Took it for a good trashing for about an hour and lost all power to bike at about 150km just before a corner.Luckily I had enough time to pull it around with the clutch in.Ended up with a fried main fuse ,not really sure why but Ive replaced fuse and since theres been no problem touch wood

20. stikflote

stikflote

Have you. checked clutch switch itv won't start unless you pull clutch in
    which took a lot of head scratching before I got it