675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Charging circuit replacement

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by SW73, Dec 30, 2019.

1. SW73

SW73

So...as we all know...the charging circuit is weak on these and it seems mine is goosed...again. Triumph replaced the first two...FOC...but at ten years old, I guess it falls to me!
    eBay bargains galore from dealers. £100 for the rectifier, bracket and loom. (One still available on eBay) and £220 for the stator. Triumph have a new supplier....i know it looks like a bogus chinesium special but this is what the new, genuine ones look like!
    While I'm on, suspension linkages to grease, exhaust to dismantle and repack along with some much needed deep cleaning.
    I'll post some pics as I go. And no doubt seek some advice along the way!
    Here's hoping it all goes to plan and I can start on the front forks IMG_20191230_193316.jpg  

• Like Like x 1
  2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Excellent mate, I'll look forward to following this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SW73

SW73

And so it begins. With tonnes of cleaning! It's amazing how dirt gets everywhere on a bike used in all weather's.
    IMG_20200101_191434.jpg The finish has stood up really well. Off to the bath with that lot for some TLC.
    Mind, it appears that the 'factory toolkit' is made of chinesium
    IMG_20200101_192515.jpg No corrosion on the exhaust but it's filthy. I'm splashing out on a new gasket and clamp! No wonder the poor girl was blowing a bit. IMG_20200101_194449.jpg

4. StephenP

StephenP

Have fun, not long had mine in bits and I've vowed never to ride in rain again. Ruins a bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SW73

SW73

I wouldn't disagree but I use it to tour...so I have to take the weather as it comes! Always been looked after but time for a refresh of fasteners and a deep clean while fixing the bloody thing.
    First port of call....a bath!
    IMG_20200101_202930.jpg

6. Spray stuff with ACF and it keeps it corrosion free mainly
    Used on aircraft

• Like Like x 1
  7. SW73

SW73

So....rear of the bike completely dismantled and all the bearings cleaned and greased etc. All going well. Until I noticed I've misplaced an o ring from the shock mount. No bother...nitron will sell them. OMFG....in packs of 4 with a little rubber grease for £17 delivered. Stupidity does have a price it seems! I don't suppose anyone has a spare they could part with? Apart from that...all good. IMG_20200104_174814.jpg

8. SW73

SW73

My adult's jigsaw coming apart nicely. It's absolutely filthy once you get into it. I promise I'll get to the charging circuit....but gawd it needs a clean before I pull the cover off. Ten years of chain lube and cack to remove. Anyone able to recommend a degreaser that won't melt bearing seals/connectors etc? I wouldn't describe this as fun...but it's strangely satisfying. What is odd is after 39k miles there is absolutely no wear on the chain rubbing strip. Hey ho...saves a few bucks.
    IMG_20200105_133637.jpg

9. StMarks

StMarks PTG

I've used the usual Gunk etc products.. -horrible messy job imho. As far as I'm aware they are all safe in respect of the engine components?
    However be warned, apparently there have been studies that have indicated a link between engine degreaser & the type of nerve damage seen in Parkinson's etc...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Just wondering about the condition of your bearings on the rear suspension linkage, my 2013 Daytona has done just over 20000 miles nearly all in dry weather, I did the major service last year but missed out the rear linkage because I didn't have any way of jacking up the bike.

11. SW73

SW73

The dealers never service these as it's hard to do, even though it's part of the 12000 mile service. You'll be able to tell if it's ever been done as I'd say it's impossible to remove the bolts without marking the heads.
    Clive Wood had a look at mine 3 years ago. Before he saw the bike he said the bearings would be knackered as they wouldn't have been greased by the dealer.
    He was right! And 3 of the needle bearings needed replacement.
    Mine are fine now as I grease them myself every two years. Clive reckons every year if the bike is used in all weather's.
    The sleeves sometimes corrode but are easily dressed with Emery paper.
    I'd say it's probably worth pulling them.and having a look. If they're not greased they corrode and fall apart. Mine were all rusty and dry as sticks. The bearings are a few bob so worth preventing I'd say. HTH

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. StephenP

StephenP

Word of advise when you out the linkages back, turn the bolt round.

The link pipe gets in the way of one when it's fitted at the factory and you get better access from the other side

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. SW73

SW73

Cheers Stephen. It's interesting that the workshop manual specifically says bolts from the RHS. Like you say...it makes it awkward. I can't see how it makes any real difference other than the bolt will get sprayed from the chain fling. Maybe it is just extra coin for the dealer!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  14. I use lamp oil in a spray bottle with a paint brush quite a lot as that's kind to seals etc

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GazST

GazST

I use paraffin and a toothbrush for degreasing. It does a great job, it's cheap and a 4litre bottle will probably outlast the bike since you can filter the old stuff and reuse it a couple of times too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SW73

SW73

Slow progress...but getting there. Couple of questions.
    Some of the coating appears to have worn from the rear axle. It's still fairly smooth. Does this matter? Should I dress it with Emery paper or is the coating important?
    I've found the rear pad pin has grooves worn in it from the pads. I'm guessing it needs to be smooth...time for a new one?
    I'm starting to enjoy this... though I'll be happier once it's back together! IMG_20200108_110519.jpg IMG_20200108_110511.jpg IMG_20200108_110501.jpg

17. StMarks

StMarks PTG

The axle coating is a protection against corrosion, so as little damage as possible is best. Fwiw I always clean any corrosion off, then wipe the axle over with ACF50 (or grease, before I had ACF50 ) to avoid corrosion.
    Brake pad pins always wear, replacing them would be ideal but probably not necessary (unless anyone can better advise).

• Like Like x 1
  18. SW73

SW73

Thanks @StMarks I've ordered some ACF fiddy after previous advice and today, a new pad pin. May as well do it properly. Getting there.... slowly!

• Like Like x 1
  19. SW73

SW73

Everything now dismantled. Just the area around the front sprocket and swingarm to clean. Waiting for a couple of bits from the dealer...then time to lay it all out and reassemble. Being tight for space makes this so much harder. Roll on getting a proper garage...

IMG_20200109_004130.jpg

IMG_20200109_003144.jpg

IMG_20200108_224744.jpg

View attachment 50625

IMG_20200108_232400.jpg

20. SW73

SW73

Duplicate post