675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Costly service delays at Youles Triumph

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by wobblybiker99, Jun 7, 2016.

1. wobblybiker99

wobblybiker99

The Daytona was booked in for a 12,000m service today, i took the bike in last thing yesterday so it could cool overnight (valve clearance's) and they could start first thing today. The first surprise is that a courtesy bike now costs £15 per day even if your having a major service, now ive rung them and they say it won't be ready today because it needs parts they haven't got , the guys guessing shims.
    So i'm without the bike for another sunny day plus i'm down another £15 because they don't have a full set of shims in the workshop!!
    I wish i'd have used Muddysump now, its not even a full 12,000m service as it had coolant and brake fluid last year.
    I only usually have good things to say about Youles Blackburn but i'm amazed they can't service a bike in a full day:mad:

2. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

That's crap, you'd have thought they'd have the parts before taking the job on knowing that it's going to need them, I know shims come in various thicknesses but it's not like they only fit one model.
    I also got charged £15 for a courtesy bike with the Manchester dealership after being told when I bought the 675 that it was free of charge.
    Even though I'd lose the lifetime warranty they offer I decided to vote with my feet and switched to Staffordshire Triumph, better service in general and a bit cheaper too

3. Stu675

Stu675

Local dealer (Bramley nr Guildford) has charged £10 or £15 a day for a while now.
    I would definitely only be paying for one day @wobblybiker99 esp. for that lame excuse.

Muddysump FTW

4. Rossgo

Rossgo

Don't think I'd want to pay 15quid for a bike if getting a full service, can understand minor services etc. As for the work personal I generally say keep it until the jobs finished but if I wanted a quick job think I'd be pretty pissed. Hope it gets finished soon

5. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

£15 is a joke, I'd rather get the bus home . . .or go shopping in town . . .i best check my dealer as the RX is in soon for its 1yr 6k

6. £15 is not that bad. Come on its wear and tear tyres miles clocking up etc. They don't have to give u a bike. Everyone wants the cheapest service around and the bells and whistles that go with it. I'd pay it might question way I'd have to pay for 2nd day but for the first day I'd be happy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I think you will find the reason for the charge is that more and more motor traders are no longer insuring courtesy bikes under their main motor trade policy, due to the claims losses increasing their premiums. So they sign up to use a daily rate insurance scheme operated bike the likes of Cooper Solutions. Whilst out on loan the bike or car is insured under this separate scheme and claims are dealt under this not the clients motor trade policy. The garage is charged a rate by the loan company and this will vary depending on the volume of business.

Benefits to motor trader are, less claims on motor trade policy which keeps premiums down and they can charge more than the cost to them so use it as a revenue stream. Advantage to customer is that more and more insurers are looking to put higher excesses on to the motor trade policy which usually the garage apply to you as a customer. Under the daily rate system the excesses are lower at usually £250.

Think about it, you write off their brand new loan bike results in say £8k claim under their main policy. The potential increase in the overall insurance policy would far out way the profit made on your service. Therefore hive it off elsewhere keep claims down and profits up which in turn stops them going bust, as we know that selling motorbikes is not a huge money maker. Just look at how many bike shops go out of business. Biking is still fairly niche in the UK.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

It may only be £15 but if you're told something is free you'd expect them to honour that, not go yeh it's free then charge you, even after I challenged them on reviving the bill they charged me, said it was a change in policy, wouldn't mind if they'd told me before dropping the bike off, anyway they can stick the charge, won't be going back

And thinking about it if £15 is nothing then Youles shouldn't charge you for having to hold onto the bike another day and drop the charge, but they don't because their greedy shithouses, fuck them, wankers

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. D41

D41

No-one forced you to pay for the loaner.....it's $20....next to nowt. And they ARE allowed to change their policy....it's a perk of owning your own business....you get to do what you want, and it's cool as feck.

If someone else brought a wrecked bike in for them to fix they'd want a loaner too...do Youles give them another bike to crash??....Lowest common denominator & all that...

Reviving bills can be tough....CPR is a good skill to learn, whatever the patient's name/occupation is.

10. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

Yep because nobody told me I'd be paying for it lol, you'd (I'd) expect a bit of forewarning that it'd changed, it hadn't even been a year since buying the bike from them and being told it was free of charge, I don't actually recall getting a sorry from them either, but like I said £15 might be nothing to some people but not to me

11. If you were told it's free I get why you might be upset, but £15 isn't much and my experience of Youles as a dealer has been exemplary. A very personal service, everyone knows me when I go in, they remember my bike and always happy to shoot the shit. You have choice at the end of the day, if you weren't happy with the dealer or their charge for the courtesy bike you could have walked out and given Muddysump, who gets raving reviews, a call before you left the bike with them! We all have choice at the end of the day (well I don't really because I want to keep my extended warranty valid...). Not having the parts is a bummer, probably try and get the payment down to one day of courtesy bike as that definitely wasn't your problem. Just have a chat, they're usually understanding.

12. Rossgo

Rossgo

As others have said the second day would be better free of charge because it's not your fault they didn't have the parts, maybe they planned it to get more money out of you for the loaner?!

13. wobblybiker99

wobblybiker99

Just to respond to a few of the replies.
    It was my choice to go to the triumph dealer and i was told about the £15/day loaner charge which although i wasn't happy with it does look to be more common nowadays, its also 24 miles away from home so the loan bike was the easiest option to get there and back with all your bike gear.
    My only complaint is i can't believe a Triumph dealer is not willing to invest in a shim kit but instead every customer who's bike needs an adjustment has to wait a second day while they order one or two shims, and pay another £15.:confused:
    The alternative theory is they were lying about the shims and were just overbooked and couldn't finish all the jobs, again not my problem, my slot was booked weeks ago and the bike was dropped off the previous day.
    Anyway they couldn't give me a time when it would be finished today, the loan bikes going back at 4pm whatever as that's the 48hrs, if its not done they'll have to keep mine till Saturday, my next day off.

14. Red675

Red675

This is so common now its painful and I completely agree with wobbleybiker that it’s the garages responsibility to have your bike ready on time or make arrangements to suit the customer. How can you not have spares lying around for something so common? Pathetic.

Every single time I go to a dealers be that triumph or ducati they lie through their teeth too.

I took mine in for a 7k service the other week at hyside Ducati. Went to collect it at 5 oclock after receiving this message at lunchtime;

“Hello sir, its 12 oclock your bikes ready for you to collect “.

Get there at 5...

Ducati: “Hello sir do you want the good news or the bad news?”

Me : “Whys there always a fucking bad news with you lot?”

Ducati: “The good news is we filled it with oil and a new filter, the bad news is we didn’t have time to do the other stuff you booked in 3 months ago and had parts sat round waiting to fit, you know all the bits we actually said we’d do and you had to wait 3 months for so we actually had the time to fit you in. Even though we said it was ready to collect. That’ll be £350 please.”

They’re ALL bullshitters. There’s no exception as far as I can tell.

Just tell me you’re understaffed in the first place. It doesn’t reflect badly on you. What reflects badly is the lies and the feeling as a customer that you’ve been lied to and basically shat on.

In my 6 years of owning sports bikes, I’ve now come to the conclusion that they’re all a big gang of pricks who I wouldn’t believe if they told me the earth was round and the sky was blue.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Red675

Red675

i hope thats ranty enough ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Stu675

Stu675

If you hadn't gone to the dark side, the answer would be Muddysump. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. cpszx

cpszx

what the dealer/workshop "should" be doing is looking at the upcoming jobs a week in advance to make sure they have the spares available that will be needed.
    In that way, only an unexpected issue will cause the delay of having to obtain a part.

personally, i am happy with my local dealer, and very rarely feel like they are trying it on, and they mostly live up to my expectation in their customer service.
    if they will struggle to complete on time, they will warn me in advance, sometimes even when i am booking it in, they will tell me what other jobs are on , and if any of them might take longer than expected, they will ask if i will definitely need the bike back the same day, then we change the booking.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Yep - none of the "dealers" stock what I'd call "standard" parts for minor or major services.

I now always go to the small independent REPS - a) they know what they are doing, b) they are bikers through and through and c) their business relies on a good reputation, not being mucked around like the above - if you book in for a major service I know they'll have a selection of shims and all the gaskets, fair do'a if a clutch or gearbox was worn out and needed replacing, but standard stuff...

I don't even bother calling Bevans anymore - although they're not as bad as my favourite curry-based retailer

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Red675

Red675

lol i must be a fucking sucker for punishment mate cos i filled in one of those online p/x quotes on jack lilleys website this morning for a new or low mileage 675 against my 899 (just out of interest atm)

im still waiting funnily enough and i certainly wont be chasing THEM

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Red675

Red675

Oh and just to add, I asked for a courtesy bike which they arranged.

I looked at my bill when I got home and there was the £15 that wobblebiker referred to.

NOT ONE mention of a charge when they gave me the keys though.

Another thing that makes you think what a piss taking gang of dickheads.

I have no problem paying for it if I have to, but can you let me know first please?

(sorry thats me done now)

• Like Like x 2