675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Crank Position Sensor

Discussion in 'Wanted & Swaps' started by SW73, May 17, 2019.

1. SW73

SW73

Folks, having seen a few folks recent troubles I was counting my lucky stars until....my bike now cranks and won't fire.

Following the great instructions on here (thanks @Stu675 @StMarks) I've managed to work out that my CPS has virtually infinite resistance, which means I need a new one!

I'm hoping to avoid buying the full stator assembly and have heard mixed reports about the aftermarket ones.

Does anyone have a triumph CPS they'd be willing to sell and post. I'm quite tight for time as I'm leading the fest this year!

I'll also need a stator gasket when I open it up as triumph want £15! If someone has one to sell... I'm in the market.

Thanks in advance.

Simon IMG_20190517_191109.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. SW73

SW73

Thanks, yes I'd seen those but I know of at least one person who had bother with the aftermarket ones. It may be if no one has one I'll need to go down that route but hopefully not.

3. these have been recommended to me by a lad who has used them in his race bike and if need be we will use them

• Like Like x 1
  4. SW73

SW73

@Team coxie that's good to know. I'll order one up then if no one has a second hand one. The advice is much appreciated. Thanks

5. Hi.
    I have a 2013 675R Daytona state and cps if that's any use to you? I bought it used on Ebay as a spare in case mine failed on a foreign track day. I never had to use it. The stator windings are all good.
    I'm in Ashbourne Derbyshire, or I can post it on Tuesday.
    Hows £50 plus p&p?

6. StMarks

StMarks PTG

7. ive got stator and cps off 2012 daytona r - 150GBP posted fully working, none problems ;) but want to sell it as set :(

8. SW73

SW73

Gawd....these things have a way of making you feel thick as mince!. Anyone know how this plug comes apart? It's the three phases from the stator.... thanks in advance for your help. The rest...so far so good... 1211073310.jpeg

9. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Yes.
    The raised section to the side is a locking mechanism, to prevent it from being able to un-plug accidentally.
    To un-plug it you must release the lock first.
    Push the plug fully together, then depress the raised section (which moves the catch out of it's stay) then pull the plug apart.

To assist, there are some pictures of the released plug in this post.: https://www.675.cc/675/threads/puls...-cps-crank-position-sensor.20693/#post-401713
    Hth

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. SW73

SW73

Perfect description! That's @StMarks much appreciated. IMG_20190606_222610.jpeg

11. SW73

SW73

Easy enough following the instructions but a couple of points.
    I'd always get a new gasket doing this... mine is in three bits now!
    Stator looks a little singed but outputs correctly so I guess it'll be fine for now.
    Don't tell Jen I drained the oil into her mixing bowl at the fest!
    One query...do I need to clean the mating faces before putting it back together? And if so... with what?
    Really appreciate the help guys. This really isn't my forte... IMG_20190606_223008.jpeg IMG_20190606_223014.jpeg IMG_20190606_223047.jpeg

12. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Fwiw I think your stator looks far less cooked than mine.
    Both faces of the casing need to be totally clean & flat, with none of the old gasket left (or else the little bits left will lift the new gasket from the mating surface allowing a leak to occur).
    I often use the blade from a stanley knife. Obviously take great care not to slice across the alloy face, & keep the blade edge flat with the surface so that it only removes old gasket material & not any alloy.
    :idea: Also take care not to slice your fingers, as the blood may damage the gasket ;))

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. For what it’s worth I have been having similar issues with mine.
    I checked the wires and seemed fine.
    I went to a Triumph mechanic for some advice before I pulled the trigger on a RR.
    He gave me further advice to run the bike at no more than 3000rpm and check I’m not down on the phases.
    This seemed like a massive hassle so I just booked it in and it was my wiring harness burnt out, not the stator.
    Hopefully pick it up tomorrow.
    Just food for thought that even if your 3 phase seem ok not running there still could be an issue.
    To be fair mine was a charging issue I wanted solved, I’m just kinda hoping it’s solved the cut out at idle issue too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. StephenP

StephenP

Little tip, use some gasket sealant on both sides when you put the new gasket on. Not only gives a good seal but helps so much if you need to remove it again.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Well pick my bike up today.
    The tech said my wires were crispy and showed me a piccy of the connector.
    He said the wires Triumph use are only just rated high enough and with a little age they break down and so he updated the wires and direct wires it. Also it fried my RR.
    I asked if this would cause my idling cut off issue and said most likely.
    Here’s to hoping.
    Just thought I’d let you know what’s going on with mine as we have similar issues.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

I’d go with Jens spatula mate, plastic on metal, so you can scratch it gouge anything.

Sure she won’t mind :)

Good work, as you were

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. SW73

SW73

Folks.... especially @StMarks @Stu675 @SteffyDog all done.....and...she lives! If I can do this... anyone can. Fired up first time...
    Now I just need to get the mixing bowl, measuring jug and spatula into the bin and buy new ones.. Really appreciate all the help. Great place this.

IMG_20190608_131825.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Well done mate, pleased it was a success..

• Thanks Thanks x 1