675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Crank Position Sensor

Discussion in 'Wanted & Swaps' started by SW73, May 17, 2019.

1. SW73

SW73

All back together and working perfectly.... though I'm hoping I haven't jinxed myself.. Just in case any other mechanical newbies are wondering whether to have a go at this I'll give you my experience. Working very slowly, in cramped conditions, this took me about 6 hours.
    I've a fairly decent toolkit but actually, only a couple of sockets and allan keys needed.
    I drained the oil and put the bike on an Abba stand which made it easier. If you had a motorcycle lift or table it would help a lot more.
    Definitely order a new gasket. My dealer took a few days to get one and it probably is wise to use a new one.
    Take lots of pictures and refer to them!
    Thanks again to all those who chipped in with advice and PM's when my knowledge ran out!
    This is a great forum where people are immensely patient and generous with their time.

2. Frogcake

Frogcake Moderator Staff Member

Nice one! Pretty sure you don’t need to drain the oil. At least I don’t think I did when I did mine .

3. StephenP

StephenP

Certainly don't need to drain oil, stick a tub under it as you'll get a few drops but nothing major.

4. Could you tell us what u did to check the CPS?

5. SW73

SW73

I followed the instructions from Stu675 which were really helpful and in a how to on here. Essentially, I disconnected the CPS plug which runs from the stator up under the petrol tank and measured the resistance between the two pins. It's supposed to be about 200-230 ohms (ish). Mine showed infinite resistance. Ideally read his explanation though as it's much more technical and thorough than mine. It's the white plug in the below picture.

IMG_20190608_131825.jpeg

6. thanks pal. Think I found the instructions.