675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Cylinder Head versions between Daytona and Street Triples?

Discussion in 'General' started by PhilT, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Just a few, honestly ;)
    I'm about a lazy 6 hour drive from Stockholm but its much quicker with the train / plane of course, I will be visiting mates up there next month with luck.
    As I'm down in the southern part the weather isn't that bad and the riding is superb as the roads are empty, well looked after and very few cameras.(They don't bother with bikes as you must have a full photo of the driver/rider)

it's still riding weather in Sweden as a lot of mates are still out and about.

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

When reading the above, you may want to bear in mind that this is a photo of 0S2 on a trackday.!!
    [​IMG]
    Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you; Those are indeed waves in the background.!!

Some of our finest members don't even have a 675 mate, we simply share a love for them along with many other passions.

Fwiw I also happen to have an Rs250, as well as a Honda Pocket-rocket, in the stable along with my little 675.

3. I have got a daytona head for your bike. It had a valve dropped. The guy bought a new head as he could only buy a full set of valves from triumph so it was cheaper to get second hand head. I have replaced the valve and follower bucket. You would need to use your inlet cam and maybe get reshimmed.

4. PhilT

PhilT

Thanks bignose. I'll let you know regarding your head. (I'm still weighing up the options)

So StMarks, I assume you were also riding at the same trackday? OS2 obviously knows what he's doing - assuming that wasn't the 1st and only corner he made it round that day ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. StMarks

StMarks PTG

* I wasn't at that trackday PhilT, but it looked pretty epic. If I remember his post correctly, @0S2 kept it shiny side up that day. Must be all that Swedish riding experience coming in useful.? .... Oh, & to save him the trouble of clarifying matters again .:
    :lol:

* I did manage to just about keep up with the young fella at a different trackday we were on. ;))

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. I came over to UK in the summer and rode at Mallory, Castle Combe, Anglesey and Aberdare and it rained at every location.
    Castle Combe was heavy rain while Anglesey came with an amber warning until around 10 am when the top photo was taken in the afternoon when it cleared up!
    Bottom one from castle combe where it pissed down all day.

Rising in the rain is all in the mind and having faith in the tyres, I did over 9 hours of riding while in the UK and most of it was in wet conditions... ( I did have a few offs last year but all in the dry pushing it, a few close calls this year but no cigar :) )

_AJP9652.JPG C Combe (1).jpg

7. PhilT

PhilT

I'm sorry to hear OS2 about your wet days.....I hope you didn't come back especially.... I took my RVF out on track for the 1st time this year and loved it - I took it to Mallory (I live less than 10 miles away) and found it suited Mallory perfectly (except the main straight.....). The only other trip to Mallory this year was to support my brother-in-law who was taking part in a C90 8 hr endurance race - sounds boring but it was a really great day. Watching 100 x C90s on Mallory's short track was mad! There were some BSB boys in one team and it was amazing to see what they could do with a C90!

I took a lot of photos, which are here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/154665659@N03/albums/72157680338853454 - but below are a couple of my favourite shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. StMarks

StMarks PTG

9. Did you say you changed the oring seal between the cam carrier and the head[​IMG][​IMG]

10. PhilT

PhilT

The C90 euduro was a different race: https://www.facebook.com/PlopEnduro...FmjfzVlpPeV9-h6HAFrJLC9fMPdSumbJGXOs7l-cg8EKI

Hi Bignose, yes, I replaced the 0-rings between the head and the camshaft carier (aka "ladder").... I've changed them and when it still leaked, I had a main dealer do it, and the same result..... still leaks.....The dealer spoke to the Triumph Factory Technical team, and they said the next step was a new head...... the factory are saying its not likely to be a casting porosity issue as they would expect a casting issue to come to light much sooner than 8 x years..... however they have no other theories.... I can't think it can be anything other than a porous casting as its never overheated (which is the only thing I can think would cause damage to the head which could cause a leak - although overhearting would usually cause issues with the head gasket first....)

11. Weird unless there is a crack somewhere. The drain hole is very low down in the hole. Its almost covered by the plug. So should leak straightaway.

12. There is only one oilway at the back of the head so cant think it would be head gasket.

13. StMarks

StMarks PTG

I don't suppose it could be a flaw in the rocker cover, rather than the cylinder head.?

14. PhilT

PhilT

Interesting idea. The bike is still at the dealers so I can't check it ...... Do you know if other poeple have had issues with cam shaft covers cracking/deforming? I'm not sure it can be the cover - there was no sign of oil on the inside of the cover gasket (the inside of the "0" where the sparkplug lead cap goes through) and there was no oil towards the top of the sparkplug ht lead connector)

15. PhilT

PhilT

Just FIO, over Christmas I finally managed to get the engine out of my 09 Daytona (09-12 model) and replaced the head with a 13+ Street head and everything worked out very well - bike is running perfectly. From looking at the World of Triumph website, you can see the part numbers for the valves, valve springs, etc and they all match between the 09 series 2 daytona heads and the 13+ street heads - the only difference is the head casting which has one minor difference (as far as I can see) - the street heads have an extra part on the casting used to attach the street side fairings. (not visible when on the Daytona unless you look behind the daytona fairing).(just above the camshaft chain tensioner and the same on the other side)

The only part which slightly worries me is the Exhaust valve clearances - I've gone with the later 0.325-0.375 range and not the smaller range (from memory 0.275-0.325) which was originally specified for the 09 daytona. Anyway, the bike is running very well and no unusual noises, so I am hopeful all will be good.

(Also FIO, I've reused my original camshaft cover and the oil leak has not returned, so my conclusion is that my original head did have a porosity issue.....)