675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Daytona 675R vs 959 Panigale

Discussion in 'General' started by RainDanceKid, Jul 1, 2019.

1. RainDanceKid

RainDanceKid

After 8 delightful years with the Daytona, I’m just beginning to fancy something new and have always loved the look and aura of the Ducati’s.

I’m a rural road rider rather than track, and I have always found the Triumph very forgiving (it needs to be as I’m no expert ) and easy to ride, and my main concern is whether the Ducati is too focused and requires a level of skill to be comfortable which I may not have.

I know there are some hugely knowledgable people on here many of whom have made the switch and would really appreciate your advice.

Cheers
    RDK

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  2. Hogster

Hogster

I love the look of the panigale etc but as many of the pro's of ownership I am sure there are just as many cons. Parts will cost more, servicing cost more as I doubt you could do it yourself as easy as the daytona, performance parts and upgrades cost more, and they seem to have reliability issues which can be the same as any manufacturer.

What is it you dont like about the daytona any longer, how it looks, the power, comfort etc? Have you any mods done, maybe spend a few quid tricking her up and you will fall in love again?

3. I’ve spent a lot of time going between 675r, 899 and 959 and now 848. The 959 is the most useable of the lot, super light clutch and the handling on the panigale is much more like a ‘normal’ bike. The older Ducati’s were a little more quirky and slow steering.

Tbf you will adjust pretty quickly, but I would strongly recommend setting the throttle sensitivity to ‘high’ in the sport mode because it’s actually much harder to ride in town on the standard setting.

Otherwise, the only other slight grumble is that Ducati’s get hot, and always ride SO much better on race pipes with the race map. And the rear tyre is a 60 profile which slightly limits choice, some have fitted 55’s but Ducati don’t recommend it because at lean the size is quite different and it can confuse the traction control.

I’m actually also looking to get a 959 at some point over Christmas once I’ve seen what the new one is going to be

4. Red675

Red675

Ive had 3 675s and an 899 and the 899 was the best bike ive ever owned (sorry fellow 675 ers). To ride, to look at, pretty much everything except £££ was a pleasure.
    Yeh it costs a fortune to service and buy parts and aftermarket parts for (think minimum x2 to everything triumph) but im already looking at getting another, i think they will only increases in value and desirability as the years tick by now and lets be honest they're absolute works of art to look at (again not saying the 675 is a munter but this is a fkn Ducati were talking about here)
    @farmer1 has a 959 after a 675 and a brief flirtation with MV, sure he will say very similar.

5. farmer1

farmer1

Yes pretty much agree with all the above.
    It took me a long time to gel with the 959 but I absolutely love it now.
    Reliability wise mine has been faultless for the 4000miles I've owned it.
    Riding position is similar to the daytona and comfort is not bad for a sports bike, I covered 730 miles over the fest weekend no probs.
    Its definitely harder work than a daytona but I got bored of the Daytona as it just did everything so easily and was so predictable, the ducati takes a bit more effort but when the stars line up and your in the groove it is phenomenal!
    Just a heads up there is a new 959 on the way which is likely to have a few more bells and whistles (tft dash, 9 axis imu etc etc) hopefully a restyled exhaust system, the shot guns on the original 959 are the only let down imo.

6. Red675

Red675

7. farmer1

farmer1

• Like Like x 1
  8. towser

towser

I bought a 959 Corse and got the underbelly Akra thrown in!

I’m loving the change so far and definitely doesn’t require any more effort than the 675R. It is however quite different so may take a while to get used to.

9. Be warned with the belly pipes though that it does limit track selection for trackdays, if that’s your thing, personally now I would just try and get one with the shotgun akrapovics even though they don’t sound as good they are more practical I think

10. RainDanceKid

RainDanceKid

Thanks guys, all very helpful.

Seems to be a mix of opinions on how easy the transition from Daytona to Duc would be. Being at the “less experienced” end of the spectrum (I can only run up about 2k miles a year at weekends) hopefully the switch would be manageable.

Does anyone know how the new 2020 859 differs? Is it definitely worth holding out for?

11. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

Have to say that I saw Farmers at the fest and I did think she looked stunning, beautiful, exotic even, please let me know how you get on, I could be swayed next summer!

12. Hogster

Hogster

13. The 2020 959 looks to have the single sided swing arm, I would also expect an auto blipper and tft dash like the new v4 and also like the hypermotard 950 got last year, otherwise maybe the engine will go nearer to 1000cc to account for even more Euro 5 future proofing (so it may get heavier and less power per cc).

The 899 is always going to be the lightest and purest option but with the most flaws, the 959 much better and then the new one will have new bike flaws. Maybe see whether it shakes your corn when it comes out and if not take advantage of decent prices on used 959

14. Red675

Red675

The biggest thing to look out for imo are the dealers. Make sure you’ve got one you trust near to you and if the worst comes to the worst don’t mind handing a few quid over to if something goes wrong. I had a dogshit one and it often took away the pleasure of owning a ducati which was something I’d always wanted since I got into bikes.

15. Captain Steffydog

^^ this is my reservation over buying, I have the same dealer as Red :(

16. gary1966

gary1966

Don't do it steffy we all know there will be a moto 2 Daytona out VERY soon ha ha

17. Red675

Red675

Laguna are Ducati too are t they. I will definitely be buying/servicing my next one away from RM7 that’s for sure.

18. I think honestly, if you are serious about a Ducati, then a big part of that is owning a Ducati, you put up with a little more because it’s such a special thing to own. That said they are very modern in terms of refinement now but they will always have that stiff focussed DNA.

Yes there will be a new Daytona it seems and it may be worth a look but while it might be better to ride it will certainly not quite have the same buzz around owning it. So you need to decide if you want that.

I agree find a good dealer, I had a water pump fail a week out of warranty and MotoRapido sorted it and argued the case with Ducati, £500 fix all paid for and they were superb with servicing

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cupracing

Cupracing

i have heard from a triumph dealer the new Daytona will only be available as tfc version but will be dressed up to look like a moto2 bike. It will be around £18k. Future collectors bike maybe

20. Captain Steffydog

I’m clearly way out of touch on bike prices. £18k mental, I’d rather have a car. £5-10 that’s my kinda numbers :)