675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Daytona wrist pain

Discussion in 'General' started by Gremlin, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Gremlin

Gremlin

Hi All,

An old mountain bike injury has left me with a weakened and painful left wrist and riding the Daytona these days is getting uncomfortable. Before I get rid, I'd like to have a go at changing the height/angle of the clipons.

So without spending silly money on adjustable clipons or rare as rocking horse poo Hellibars (it's a 2014 model) I came up with an idea.

I noticed that currently on my bike there's enough space left on the forks above the yoke that dropping the yoke sightly on the forks would (in theory) enable me to put the clipons above the top yoke? This would effectively raise the height slightly of the clipons (after taking into account the slight drop of the yokes).

One issue I can see in this is that each clipon is "tethered" to the top yoke by a screw that would not be possible if they were above the top yoke and so only the single bolt on each clipon would be holding it in place?

Also, this would change the geometry slightly which I could mitigate slightly by taking off some of the preload on the rear shock as there's too much on there at the moment.

As ever, any advice is appreciated :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. Hey, depending on how far you want to go with modifications the street triple handlebar setup will fit
    Will need street triple;
    Top yoke, handlebars
    Longer clutch cable

And modify the top fairing if it catches on lock but not essential if you crank back the bars abit

• Like Like x 1
  3. It might be easier / cheaper in the long to switch over to a Street Triple, great bike and not a millions miles away from the Daytona.

4. Yeah must agree, street triple RS is every bit as fun on the track and a much better road bike

5. scaramanga

scaramanga

I was the same when I bought mine
    with a stroke off luck a set of helibars became available
    sorted me out and allowed me to keep the bike

• Like Like x 1
  6. I personally wouldn't worry too much about the small securing bolt underneath, it's obviously a bit of extra security but I'm sure the main clamp would hold it, if it's good enough to hold the folks in the yokes.
    If you find that it works you can always make it permanent by maybe drilling a corresponding hole in the top of the yoke.
    Looks like you have to drop the front down by at least 15 mm, so probably dropping the rear by a corresponding amount wouldn't be a bad idea.
    I think you'll have clearance issues with the front brake reservoir and the fairing but you may just be able to flip the mounting bracket upside down.
    It's alright saying just get another bike but if you love the Daytona you'll do what you can to keep riding it, i plan on riding mine for as long as I can and I'd never swap it for a street triple, no offense to owners:D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Hogster

Hogster

As in your first post Helibars are the best answer and I can fully stand by that, discontinued now so if you can find a set buy them, one of beat things I have done to my bike and no regrets buying them. Triumph should have had it like them from new and Ive not seen any downsides to them.

Other method is to swap the left clip on with the right and flip them upside down, works on the gen 1 06-08 and two of us have tried it. Bit of cable tying to get the brake reservoir on but worked well and cheap mod which can be reversible, few posts online about it too.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. I was going to suggest that but didn't know whether it would sound stupid, I thought that would make the bars angled up instead of angled down, like a street fighter:confused:

9. Just did abit of research on what helibars are and I’m suprised this is a conversation
    Plenty of places make 1” risers for all sportsbikes?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  10. If you don’t mind waiting for stuff from China they’re £25 or you can get them pre imported for double that
    [​IMG]

11. Hogster

Hogster

No they are almost level and not angled up like you would think. Its not perfect and I have ridden with them and were fine, although take a bit to get used to and a cheap way of seeing what risers would be like. I used cable ties to hold the brake reservoir down which isnt perfect as I didnt want to drill holes when I was 90% sure I was going to get helibars anyway.

@Gremlin this was good read for me back in the day but from a quick google I think you will struggle to get Helibars now: https://www.theridesofar.com/2019/08/is-it-worth-it-to-put-helibars-on-a-triumph-daytona-675/

as @WRLondon has said there are plenth of other options for risers and I have spent many hours reading up on them, LSL was another set I was going for but were more expensive and didnt look good in my opinion. Helibars are tried and tested and look OEM so it was an easy decision for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Look OEM or sell the bike, I know which I’d prefer!
    Everything will slot on like standard bar the brake reservoir, but you can get brackets

13. scaramanga

scaramanga

heli bars are not much higher
    the angle is not as steep and not as tucked in they make a big difference
    when I first got my Daytona a local bike shop owner who is a tt winner asked if I liked it
    he said he loved them but they were very narrow/tight to ride and hes not a big lad
    after fitting the heli bars next time I saw him asked him what he thought
    much better was his verdict
    suppose its a bit like rearsets 1 size does not suit all

14. Gremlin

Gremlin

Thanks all for the comments on this :)

Just taking a step back I noticed that the amount of fork stanchion protruding above the top yoke was quite high on my bike. From what I can gather the default is 4mm (one marker line from the top of the Ohlins fork). I had about 25mm (about 6 of the lines on the fork).

So, I've adjusted the forks to 4mm above and also removed the clip-on securing pins, moved the clip-ons up a few mill so they're snug against the bottom of the top yoke and also swung them out slightly for effectively more leverage.

The riding position seems more relaxed now. I'll post up a picture soon.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  15. Gremlin

Gremlin

16. You can raise those forks up to the top of the gold too which should help you not being so tilted forward
    I’m guessing you hold on with your legs and stomach muscles and not put all your weight on your wrists?
    May sound silly but not a lot of people get taught that about sports bikes but there should be no weight on your hands at all

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Do you use tank grips as they will help with reducing wrist pressure / weight?

18. Gremlin

Gremlin

Yes,I use tank grips and grip the tank with my thighs and keep weight off my wrists with my core; it's just my left wrist is arthritic!

19. I gather it’s possible to swap (left to right) and flip (invert) the clip ons to obtain a helibar like geometry that fits within the cockpit without clash. It’s well covered on the yank site. Need to drill some holes or remove switchgear locating pins and drill/ tap for the brake reservoir or make a mount. It’s said to work well.

Bear it in mind if you need more relief later...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Gremlin

Gremlin

Yeah, will do. I enjoy tinkering and I'm always looking for things to fettle...