675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Dead!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Triple_Dan, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Triple_Dan

Triple_Dan

Hey all, hope everyone is well.

I've got a problem- last night I went out for a ride, bike started fine at home no worries, did about 30 miles and decided to stop by the river. On deciding to head off I turned the bike on hit the starter and nothing!! Ended up having to be recovered and got back in the dark so not looked at it just yet today.

So when you turn the bike on the lights work albeit when you press the starter button they dim.
    When turning the bike on, the pumps prime but seem to take a lot longer then usual.
    When you hit the starter you either get nothing at all or an electrical tick but no turn over.

Anyone goe any ideas? I think its a dead battery but not too sure.

2. StephenP

StephenP

Sounds like the battery for sure.

If you've got a bigger battery tray which was introduced on later models, think the 08 and earlier ones had the smaller tray

It may be best to switch to a slightly bigger battery, I switched to a YTX9-BS one.

I did it after having issues and the slightly bigger one has improved the cracking side and doesn't drain as fast etc.

3. StMarks

StMarks PTG

+1 Dead battery or poor main connections (imho it's more probably the battery itself, from what you've told us).

However the fact that it failed after a 30 min run may be rather more concerning.

I don't suppose you could have accidentally left the ignition/lights on whilst parked up.?

:-?? If it was definitely switched off, then I suspect the actual issue may well originate from the charging circuit.

4. Dead battery is the symptom, not the cause in my opinion. Bad stator, bad reg/rec, bad connections or a combination of any of those.

5. scaramanga

scaramanga

without investigation no one can say
    batteries are strange things
    especially modern ones
    the thing to do is charge and get the bike running test charging voltage and decide on replacing battery or trying something else
    if the bike appears to be charging ok id replace battery first as its fairly small cost if you buy right
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerlin...671715?hash=item546a1f0923:g:bdAAAOSwbVNfZJh-
    start by putting a multimeter on the terminals see what its reading
    if you dont have 1 well worth spending a few quid on 1
    even halfords do them less than a tenner

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...l-tools/rolson-digital-multimeter-710273.html
    see what it reads before charging then try get it charged or jump started then test voltage running
    that should tell you if charging system or battery
    if it reads ok cold get it hot and test again

6. Triple_Dan

Triple_Dan

Hi all, thanks for the input. I took the battery out of the circuit and it started first time from another battery. As soon as I put the battery back in- I get nothing again.

So by the sounds and looks of it I think I need a new battery.

7. Triple_Dan

Triple_Dan

When the bikes off the multi meter reads 8, when running it reads 13/14 so I think its the battery.

8. Then it's the battery. Not common for a bike to start, be ridden for 30 min, then not start and the cause be the battery.

9. Triple_Dan

Triple_Dan

Yeah its mad- the first time I've used it for about a month. I do wonder if I left the side lights on or something...... but I have no idea.

I just hope a new battery will solve the issue.

10. scaramanga

scaramanga

charge it first see if it holds a charge but 8 volts sounds like 2 cells are down

11. bladebiker

bladebiker

Would agree with that. Sounds like the charging system is ok. With regards to batteries I have tended to find that you get what you pay for. Had cheaper ones before but they didn’t seem to last. Always go for yuassa now. My opinion anyway !