675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Dilemma : 765 Daytona

Discussion in 'General' started by Cupracing, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Cupracing

Cupracing

I have the opportunity to buy a new 765 Daytona. The dilemma I have is that I have a deposit on a Panigale V2 but I’m very tempted by the 765 as it will be rare and ‘special’ and perhaps hold its value better but will it feel the same as what I already have?
    The Panigale looks beautiful but I have never ridden a Ducati and some say it is quite difficult to live with. It’s is a bit rough at low rpm, it’s gets very hot, servicing is expensive, no fuel gauge, potentially unreliable

I need help!

2. If you haven’t ridden the 765, it’s a level up
    Sure as heck won’t have anyone staring at your babygale either lol

Saying that very few people have experienced it properly on track but I did with mine in early summer

As a guy going from 06 675 - 2011 675R - 2015 675R and the 765, it really is a peach

3. I’ve spent a lot of time on 675’s and 899 panigale and 959 (same engine) and now have a 675r and a Ducati 848. The v2 will feel 10 times as special to ride, it’s that simple. However, it will be trickier to ride and will get hot (manageable but noticeable also). The low speed fuelling generally in these superquadro engines is a little rough, partly due to emissions as they are a LOT better with cans and upmap (that’s what Ducati calls it’s race map). It’s all relative, I wouldn’t hesitate to have my 899 back, it smelt of fuel, was very direct and loved to rev but had so much energy about it. The 675’s are a Swiss watch tool compared.

I don’t think the 765 will be full of character I really don’t, it will be incredible no doubt but it’s not going to be a scary thrilling bike. Sorry, just my opinion.

If you want a triple that’s easier to ride and has all the character, maybe at least try the newest mode f3 800? All I’ve read says they are getting better and better and have that character combined with use-ability.

How have you got the chance to buy the Daytona? Cancelled order or something?

4. Cupracing

Cupracing

Yes cancelled order, Well I went back and put deposit down on it so now I have a deposit down on both bikes! The 765 does feel very special and the quality is top notch. I still think my 675R Daytona is one of the best bike I’ve ridden to date, I never thought I would part with it but can only imagine the 765 would be better still .I also like the idea that I would be one of the handful of people that ever get to own and ride one which would only add to it’s specialness

5. Badapple

Badapple

Nice position to be in wish I could afford either. I've always wanted a Ducati but took the poor mans route into Italian twins and owned aprilia rsv's for years prior to my Daytona and if I was to buy one in the future it will be an older 1098/1198 as I feel the modern duc's are a bit " common " so it would be the 765 all day for me.

6. GazP

GazP

I’m just really underwhelmed with the new tona. Yeah it might handle great but at the end of the day it’s a design that’s 7 years old albeit a new engine. With that in mind I couldn’t justify its price. Saying that I am biased as I love the under seat gen Daytona. Might be different if the design resembled that shape.

If it’s attention you want I think you would get much more from the duke, it’s a way more prettier machine and if it rides like the hype says then it’s no contest in my opinion.

I’m hoping to get a test ride on a V2 soon! Hope I can make room in the garage for another bike.

7. I placed my order on 765 in July and was pleased with my choice. I have a 2015 D675r that I love. It was not until I went to the NEC bike show and saw the V2 Panigale... A great looking bike but quite heavy. I contacted Ducati to get test ride and they haven't even bothered to get back to me!!!

I therefore have decided to stick with the new 765 Moto 2 as they will be rare, and then wait until there are a plethora of V2 used. I also am waiting for a road review of the Panigale, be interesting to see how it fairs low revs and town riding etc...[​IMG][​IMG]

8. 09-13 still one of the best looking bikes ever made
    The 13+ had a much better engine & handling though, so would be the better track bike

The 765 is pretty much a 13-16 675R with a modified 765 engine in it
    And the fact it’s dripping in carbon

But yeah be realistic, they’re not going to totally redesign the looks and create production moulds etc for a bike they’re only doing a limited run of
    Especially when they’ve got their hands full making sure the moto2 engines are all good
    Could you imagine the PR disaster if they f that up!

9. gary1966

gary1966

I had the same dilemma back in the summer put a deposit down a few weeks later cancelled not that I didn’t want the bike money issue. Thinks changed and I went back and luckily for there was a cancelled ordered so today I pick the 765 up can’t wait.

Will it be special I think so, will the smaller Ducati be special no v4 yes cause it will. I don’t give Ducati’s a second glance but a Daytona I do, having had a few over the years.

If this Daytona is better than the 765 RS it’s going to be a hell of a bike, I have ridden mine on the road Uk and European road trip and about 1500 miles on track what a weapon with my lap times dropped by a few seconds mega bike.

7C2C9DAA-4974-4A6A-80C0-821E1CF819B9.jpeg 2D65314C-6FBD-4D8E-8640-95AD6B33899F.jpeg 78B463E2-BE82-4456-8E42-8E4D0D57E028.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. I would say take the one that catches your eye/heart the most.
    I've never owned a Ducati but I will happily admit that since it became part of Audi the reliability has come on leaps and bounds, especially in the electronics department.
    While the 765 is nice, is it worth the money - only you can answer that.
    Whichever way you go, get some photos up :)

11. I would say the looks and especially the paint jobs on some of the Aprilia's are some of the best out there.
    Not the poor mans route in my opinion.

12. I would agree with this, the only thing I would say is that Ducati have definitely lost some of the ‘hand built race bike’ feel that they once had, they are becoming very polished and that’s great but there’s something about the older ones, like my 848 that just make you feel special. If the 765 does this for people then great stuff.

Also... I was thinking for those stuck between the two, if you get the Daytona and don’t get on, it will hold value I would think, the v2 will drop quite quickly in part because every dealer will have a demo that then gets sold on. So the market will be flooded with them. Look how many 959’s are currently for sale.

I’m actually going to ask the q of my local dealer to see if there are any cancelled slots, just on the off chance

13. Cupracing

Cupracing

Well I’ve decided not to buy any of them so if anyone wants a Daytona 765 there is one for sale at Bulldog triumph in Winnersh, Reading (Providing it hasn’t been resold already)

14. Bigmac

Bigmac

Will it be there? I work just round the corner
    Might drop in to see it

15. Cupracing

Cupracing

16. Bigmac

Bigmac

I will go have a look when I’m back Tuesday

17. Bigmac

Bigmac

My problem with them is I don’t ride the roads much if at all, I don’t like to have a bike that I don’t abuse from time to time and I would be scared to track it with that carbon fairing
    I think I will just end up building a street triple at some point

18. Cupracing

Cupracing

The reasons I didn’t go for it in the end is that I couldn’t part with my current Daytona 675R once I started getting it prepared for part ex. I was then worried the 765 would end up being a garage queen due to not wanting put loads of miles on it as it’s a limited edition and also fear dropping it. Also the fact it cost as much an s1000rr to insure it just didn’t make sense financially

19. I don't think I could Bear to part with my 675R either or my Thruxton now, especially not for a bike I was worried about putting miles on.

Would love to try the Daytona 765 though, after owning a new R1 for a short period I think an 800 CC sportsbike would be the ideal bike for me.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020