675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Direct bolt on front caliper options for 2009

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by subaruzi, Aug 10, 2019.

1. subaruzi

subaruzi

Hi-

New to Daytona ownership. Dedicated track bike.

Just bought an 09 and going through it to see what needs to be addressed. The Nissin calipers have some rust on the pistons. I'm fine just getting OEM calipers off eBay and calling it a day.... BUT if there's an effective upgrade I'm interested in learning about it. I prefer feel to power.

I am planning on a Magura HC1 master cylinder as I have them on other bikes.

I've done searches and it looks like the R6 and R1 calipers might work.

I looked at the part interchangablity (sic) sticky and couldn't tell what years/generations I was reading about.

2. The 09 callipers IMHO are pretty good when serviced, the bolt spacing on the Brembo R callipers is different, or should I say the 2006-2012 standard bikes use a slightly non standard bolt size. The only callipers I know that fit are yamaha R6 callipers but personally I don’t think they are an ‘upgrade’ maybe just easier to get hold of

3. subaruzi

subaruzi

Awesome. I was leaning more towards OEM just to keep it easy. I'm finding some listed on eBay for reasonable.

09 to which year should I be looking for? 2011?

4. 09-2012, tbh I’m 90 percent sure the 13-17 model nissins were the same but someone else will confirm

5. In the mix

In the mix

Yep they are the same callipers , get some z04 pads in and some brembo race discs and they are awesome

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. subaruzi

subaruzi

Z04 pads for the Nissin calipers?

7. You have to be a bit careful with standard discs on the Daytona, I’ve warped a set and so has a mate, and I’ve read stuff online about them warping easy from too aggressive pads.

8. subaruzi

subaruzi

I typically use EBC HH pads so that's good info to know.

I'm actually going to attempt to keep this thing as stock as possible. Once bike is holding me back I'll start looking at fancy bits or just getting a built bike.

9. Kirklet

Kirklet

I have some R6 callipers if you go down this route. From the 2nd generation of the new shape R6

10. subaruzi

subaruzi

I'm good thank you. Bought some Daytona calipers yesterday. eBay has a ton of parts for these bikes. Didn't realize it when I bought this thing.

11. subaruzi

subaruzi

Different question, same topic-

My I'm bolting calipers back up and all the bolts have spacers on them. I set torque wrench to 40 ftlbs and crank. Keep turning and turning. I was crushing the spacers.

1. Do OEM bolts have spacers? I've looked at diagram and I don't think so.

2. If they do, what's part number?

3. What's 13?
    [​IMG]

12. StMarks

StMarks PTG

That looks rather like the parts image from the earlier version.?
    Don't recognise the part No 13 though

13. subaruzi

subaruzi

Says it's from a 2009. I have Triumph place walking distance from my office so I'll probably drop in on them.
    I'm thinking I might know the issue here. I have a Haynes manual and send like there was break in VIN for torque settings on these calipers. I'm assuming waiting was too soft. Spacers might be so I didn't strip threads. I bought used, I might have older front end.

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. StMarks

StMarks PTG

On reflection the setup will look about the same in drawing format, & there are no k clips..
    My bad, sorry.

15. subaruzi

subaruzi

16. StMarks

StMarks PTG

17. subaruzi

subaruzi

Thank you. I'll have to read this

18. subaruzi

subaruzi

I think I figured it out. Part number T2021234

Wasn't showing in my diagram

19. Adamgav

Adamgav

I think its the other way around. The bolt spacing on the standard fork is 108mm inline with Jap bikes so any caliper with this spacing should fit. The Ohlins 'R' fork has a spacing of 100mm inline with most of the italian bikes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. It sounds to me like your trying to fit the 09-12 black nissin callipers to the 06-08 forks.
    In which case your fork bottom won’t have the aligning recess for the said spacer.
    So you’ll have to fit them without the spacer.

If it is your upgrading to the black callipers then you’ll need to use the Allen key bolts that come with these & not the 13mm head bolts that come with the gold nissins.

The drawing attached is certainly the 09-12 callipers set up.

Torque settings in my factory manual
    Callipers bolts to forks 35NM
    front spindle 65NM
    (don’t over tighten these as it result in mushroomed wheel spacer which can prevent you from withdrawing the spindle)
    front spindle pinch bolts 22NM