675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Electrical gremlin

Discussion in 'General' started by dang, Aug 2, 2020 at 8:51 PM.

1. dang

dang

Wondered if anyone might point out something simple I've overlooked here.

Electrics started playing up this morning on my 08 D675. Switched key to ignition position, dashboard lit up as normal accompanied by all the usual noises but starter switch produced nothing (in neutral, clutch in, kill switch in correct position!)

Switched it off and tried again and this time with the key switched to ignition, nothing happened at all. No dash, no nothing.

Checked battery (Yuasa, only 2 years old) which showed 12.7V. Pulled & replaced all the fuses, all fine, checked under tank for any obvious wiring or connection issues but all looked fine. Put everything back together and switched it on and it fired up as normal!

Checked battery again which showed 14V at idle.

Went for a ride and after 10 minutes it died on me.

Tried to restart it several times today but no signs of life at all.

Thought I'd post this before I have to get the AA to recover it to a garage.

2. Bigmac

Bigmac

One of the cut outs you have mentioned may be a little dodgy
    It’s hard to find a intermittent fault however
    I would open the kill switch up and do a bit of testing

3. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Intermittent problems are always the most difficult to identify. So many things it could be, just a question of working through everything.
    First check, battery to earth continuity....

4. dang

dang

Yeah, will start working through tomorrow.

5. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Good luck Dang, & please let us know what caused it when you identify what's behind the issue .