675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Engine cut out mid-ride, oil light on

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by GreekYoghurtMan, Oct 4, 2019.

1. GreekYoghurtMan

GreekYoghurtMan

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, apologies for the long read. I was riding to work today, everything all fine but I did stall at a traffic light, seemed weird because I didn't do anything different at the time, anyway it started straight back up again.

About 5 minutes later there was a sudden loss in power for a split second, then it carried on. Same thing happened again, the engine management light came on, and then the bike just cut out. I pulled the clutch it and coasted to the side of the road. Tried to start it again, but it didn't even crank.

Now I look down, and the red oil light is on, but the clocks look weird. There is no gear indicator displaying, the oil light is on but the petrol and temperature meters are not displaying anything, almost as if the bike is in some sort of shutdown mode. I checked the oil at the side of the road, all was fine the right amount is in there.

After about 15 minutes of resting, the bike makes it usual starting up noises, and the clocks come back to life, petrol and temperature meters back on, oil light is off. I tried starting again, and all good (although took a lot of cranking and a bit of accelerator to turn over the first time.) Managed to get to work with no problems, but I'm concerned now. No EML being displayed at the moment.

Any ideas anyone? I've got a 5 hour ride tomorrow and I'm worried about it cutting out again. I've never used TuneECU before (new bike to me) but will it read previous codes, even though EML is not on at the moment?

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Sounds rather like your regulator rectifier has failed.?

3. StMarks

StMarks PTG

4. GreekYoghurtMan

GreekYoghurtMan

Forgot to mention this is a 2013 bike, were they also a problem on those? MOst of those reported issues in that thread seem to be pre-2013

5. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Didn't realise that mate. You're quite right, the upgraded mosfet version that they changed to seems to have proved very reliable.
    The symptoms seem to tally in many respects, so perhaps pointing at a charging circuit issue.?
    At the point when the bike failed, did the battery appear drained.?

6. GreekYoghurtMan

GreekYoghurtMan

I'll take a look this weekend at all the connections. I'm ok with a spanner but not really done much electrics work! Am I just looking for obvious loose connections etc?

When the bike failed, the clocks were still on, so don't think it was complete loss of battery or anything, but wondering if a dodgy connection or something might have caused this. Thanks for your help by the way!

7. StMarks

StMarks PTG

From memory the following have been previously been arrived at as causes.:
    Loose plug into the back of the clocks
    Failure of the earth terminations
    Loose connections on the charging circuit, indicated by heat damaged connectors
    There will have been many other causes that I don't recall, but it would be worth looking into those possibilities imho.

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on (always useful for the next person).

8. GreekYoghurtMan

GreekYoghurtMan

Ended up taking it to a garage, who put it down to a faulty alarm system. They said the alarm is cutting out the engine, and not letting it start. They've quoted £450 to replace an alarm, or £250 to bypass it and have no alarm. Seems expensive, am I being taken for a ride or is this realistic price wise?

9. StephenP

StephenP

That's what I like to call being dry fucked mister.

If you have the triumph alarm just buy the plug and take it off. Simples.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. New bypass plug is £4.50 new. You decide pal lol

11. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Fwiw I totally agree with the above. Sounds like you are being royally done over. Furthermore, that blatant con' would, imho, very seriously call into question the credibility of their diagnosis.

12. kend

kend

Or you can just install jumper wire into the pins (1,2) (3,??) for free of cost. Forgetting the last number there but you can lookup the pictures online, easy to do. My bike came with it.

On a side note can a faulty alarm cause all these symptoms. I thought the alarm was just known for being whacky (turning on at random times). I have read of it not letting the bike start but you should still have power, correcr?

13. StMarks

StMarks PTG

I don't recall having heard of those symptoms being associated with an alarm, but then we don't know what basis they had for that diagnosis.
    As regards reliability, they're not necessarily problematic.: My bike is a 2006, and the OEM supplied alarm still works perfectly.!
    Hth.

14. GreekYoghurtMan

GreekYoghurtMan

Thanks, I've decided to take it back. Apprently I already owe 140 for investigation work, which was 2 and a bit hours. Really not happy with this place, was my first time taking it there. They then wanted 250 + VAT for removal of the alarm, so over £100 more just to remove it.

I've decided to take it back, I just hope the ridiculous 140 I paid for the diagnosis was actually a correct diagnosis. Will try and source the plug, and do it myself. I'll do a search for DIYs etc, not really done much wiring before

Thanks all, will keep you posted

15. kend

kend

Well when I remove the jumper plug from my alarm, the instrument cluster doesnt even turn on let alone start the bike.

16. Bigmac

Bigmac

Have you got the bypass plug to replace the alarm?

17. GreekYoghurtMan

GreekYoghurtMan

Just to keep this thread updated, I took the bike back from the garage last week and purchased the bypass plug for £3. The whole thing took less than 20 minutes, 19 minutes of which was spent on taking off and putting back on the fairings. Alarm was put in winter mode then removed (although it keeps beeping in the house annoyingly), bypass plug attached and bike runs with no problems.

The serial number of my alarm was in the same production weeks as the faulty ones that had a recall, although apparently mine wasn't one of the faulty ones. I'll probably contact datatool anyway to see if I can get some sort of replacement sent out, as I would like to have an alarm what with leaving the bike outside.

I cannot believe I nearly considered paying another £150 the garage would have charged me! Thanks all for your help and letting me know it was an easy job to replace the alarm etc. Now I'm off to leave a 1 star review for a certain garage!

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Bigmac

Bigmac

No problem mate
    Glad you got it sorted