675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Exhausts and Noise Levels

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Gankmasterflex, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Nick I can see you've added my Scorpion -cat & -baffle, which is correct, peeps need to realise if the engine and exhaust are not up at proper working temp it'll read anything up to 2db over the tabled levels. You can't wheel it off the trailer and get those readings from a cold start up. Btw big up to you for sorting this out, cheers, Dave. :D

Topic now stickied. ;)

2. Gankmasterflex

Gankmasterflex

Dave you legend! Thank you so much for making that a sticky good advice too I will pop a note next to it about your valid point on the engine temps very good point that and hopefully we can stop 675'ers from getting turned away from any tracks this summer. :)

3. Snetterton on a cold day but with a hot bike.

Tor exhaust no baffle standard headers = 106 db, with baffle inserted = 106 (baffle made no difference), baffle wrapped in nylon strapping cut from one of my tie down ratchets = 102 (got me through noise testing before it caught fire)

4. Gankmasterflex

Gankmasterflex

Thank you dude I will update the list accordingly.

5. Peterg

Peterg

Gangmasterflex

Hi did you manage to sort your noise issue out.

I have just picked up a 675 with a full Arrow system, i think it's a stage 1.. Downpipes are not oval, and only one Lamba sensor at the bottom of the link pipe were the 3 pipes go into one.
    My concern is the bike is too noisy for track day use... It's got no baffle yet, but I still think once a baffle is fitted, it's going to be too loud.
    Any ideas how loud it is? I may have to get rid for a standard system......

6. full titainium arrow system (stage 1) no baffle; was 106db when i tested at darley moor. all warmed up first.

ive now made a baffle and will post here once i get it tested.

7. Gankmasterflex

Gankmasterflex

Hey dude I didn't try it in the end but if its any help I saw daytonas testing at brands today with arrow stage3 systems with the baffle out if you're really worried stick wadding around the baffle before testing to take off a couple more db

8. Billy

Billy

done snetterton 3 march with stage 3 arrow system on no baffle came out 100 db (tested after first session)

9. Legacey

Legacey Moderator Staff Member

Nick you're fabulous! Just did a quick search to see what the TOR db is without baffle and found your thread! Just one quickie question though...where can I take the bike to be tested? Can any local garage or dealer do it? I'm looking at booking Mallory next month and the noise limit is 105 and your list says mine is 106 ;)

10. Gankmasterflex

Gankmasterflex

Take it up your local circuit Sarah they can noise test you there and at least you will get an idea. Make sure your bike is hot when they test it as the levels I have put up are only what others have told me and they can vary from tester to tester depending on how they test but pack some wire wool to stuff in there during testing don't matter if it blows out after you've passed hehe :wink:

11. I got tested at Castle Coombe on Friday. Bit of an odd exhaust setup though :)

Titanium Stage 2 header with no exup or cat. Mated to a stainless link pipe to a side exit titanium Scorpion Serket Taper (with baffle).

Inlet air flapper has also been removed.

This was 106db at 10.25Krpm

12. Standard can, decatted and de exuped headers.

Tested at brands with a fairly cold engine with an air temp of around 14degrees.

95 db at 6500

13. Deegee

Did it affect the power badly?

14. Didn't notice any difference in performance over the tor can at 106db. Lets be honest will 3/4 bhp make enough of a difference for us mere mortals to notice. Having the standard can on means I dont need to even think about noise testing worries

15. Deegee

I read a report years ago in a trade rag that said most car drivers wouldn't notice a power change of less than 5%, I'd hope we were better than that, buts lets be honest I'm not Cal Crutchlow and I probably wouldn't notice a few bhp less. Nice to know the std can won't kill the power by 10-12 bhp.

16. Mitch636

Mitch636

Arrow can with cat - 102 @ 6.5k

17. Full arrow stage 2 system - warm exhaust, no baffle, 101db at 6-6.5k at Brands under about 15 degree air temperature

18. Gankmasterflex

Gankmasterflex

Added for you dude much appreciated.

19. Does anyone know how much difference air filters make??

20. T_daytona675

T_daytona675

I think with little changes like if you put on a air filter you don't notice the little bhp but its the pick up and go that I noticed when did mine....felt like it wanted to go. Same when you put on a end can and remap its not the power you notice again its how quick the bike reacts when you twist the throttle