675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Fuel Prices

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Anonymous, Jan 10, 2010.

1. so which one is Nige?

2. It was his day off, that day!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. gimme the address!! :D

4. SOz i meant the other Nige hehe

5. Oh so many Nige's, so little time :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

6. mattg

mattg

glad i'm not in the uk, i pay about 40p a litre here, but that is tax free with BFG :D

7. Anonymous

Anonymous

Just over 12 Sek here in Sweden or £1 in old money but you can shop around for better prices

8. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Back on track now??? :lol: and I just ate too....

£1.15 at my local Fiveways (Co-op) :( But I paid £1.09 yesterday in Havant in Hampshire. :)

9. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I havent seen any less that £1.10. The average is arounf £1.129 around SE London

10. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

What do you mean, 'the average is around...' :lol: Either it is or it isn't :lol:

Fleeced tonight, £1.16/l for diesel. Ouch. No I didnt' put it in my bike :lol:

11. Anonymous

Anonymous

Was happy today it only cost me £1.11 / litre for red stuff

12. D41

D41

red stuff???

13. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-red-diesel.htm

Red diesel fuel is only slightly different chemically from regular automotive diesel fuel, but there can be a significant difference in cost. The cheaper red diesel fuel could conceivably work in place of the more expensive automotive diesel fuel, but that would defeat the purpose of a fuel tax. In order to ensure that home heating oil, which is minimally taxed, is not used as diesel fuel, which can be heavily taxed, revenue agents require home heating oil to receive a special red dye. This liquid red dye can be detected in even the smallest samples taken for examination.

Using red diesel for reasons other than home heating is generally considered a criminal act, since the buyer did not pay the proper tax for regular diesel fuel. If there is reasonable cause to inspect a vehicle's fuel tank or storage tank, inspectors can quickly and conclusively identify the presence of red diesel and take appropriate action against the offender. Without the creation of red diesel, it would take a trained chemist to differentiate between home heating oil and automotive diesel fuel.

Different countries use different solvent dyes to create their red diesel, but the purpose is generally the same. The dye has no negative effects on the fuel itself, but it does allow revenue agents to determine at a glance if a violation has occurred.

14. D41

D41

:eek:

"Diesel" would have done! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. henrymc

henrymc

Godzilla, It is legal for all agricultural machinery and construction plant to use red Diesel,
    Did anyone know if you get a lorry and bolt a industrial size compressor to the chassis it then becomes exempt from having to use ordinary diesel :lol: :lol: :lol: :smileup:
    There is a big black market industry in the UK at the moment in the removal of the dye from what's called Agricultural diesel and then the diesel being flogged as road diesel.:salute:

16. Anonymous

Anonymous

If I remember right from my days on the farm. Cheery B or red diesel is meant for any vehicle not destined to do more than five miles on public highways, hence tractors etc. When I was in the motor trade I'd never have a diesel car because every auction we went to the ministry was there dipping all the rattlers to make sure they wern't running on red stuff. My local garage has it for about 70 odd pence a litre. You see no end of cars pulling up and filling jerry cans up with the stuff!

17. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

Henry you're right! :smileup:

Any construction plant, agricultural or marine use is fine. But use it in anything that carries a vehicle taxation bracket not in the first 2 above and the Excise boys will take you to the cleaners! Even if it is diluted significantly, they will calculate the approximate monies owed and hit you with that, and the fine if they're feeling like it. :shock:

The black market referred to, is known as "washed" diesel, the washing process can involve some very nasty chemicals that can seriously harm most modern - and older fuel injection systems. Used to be BIG business in N.Ireland for fund raising para-military organisations.....

Wouldn't think their complaints dept had many calls though. :lol:

18. henrymc

henrymc

Yea I bet the didn't.
    Have read somewhere it is big business over here now also and that a few petrol stations have been done for selling it, but not sure how true that is :erm: