675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Getting back on the bike after breaking few bones.

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by Farhan, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Farhan

Farhan

Hi Guys im new on here, so let me introduce myself first.
    I am 32 years old living in London. I passed my test in September last year, and bought my self a 2013 STR the very next day. I only rode for over month before putting the bike away for winter. Started riding again around end of February. So still very inexperienced.

I came off my bike first time ever in April, Went into corner bit too fast and went off road. Broke few ribs, collarbone and punctured lung. Ribs have all heeled, collarbone still not there yet. I have missed most of the summer don't want to miss the rest of it. So wanna get back on the bike but feeling little bit nervous, don't wanna go through all the pain again.

I am looking into doing IAM course, hoping to learn few things and help me with the confidence. Are there any other courses or Tips you guys can advise? so i can become a better and safer rider.

Cheers.
    Farhan

2. Hi. Welcome to 675.cc

Unfortunate you came off but your injuries will heal in time. It's natural that you'll feel nervous before getting back on the bike.

You're thinking in the right direction regarding some more training. It'll only help. I'd recommend a Bikesafe course first. It's more of an assessment ride than a course but will help you and give you a few pointers and things to work on. I'd do this before going directly into the IAM route. You'll probably find that if you do a Bikesafe course, that a good few (if not all) of the instructors are also IAM and they'll be able to help you with that aspect of training should you choose to go down that route.

Also consider just getting out on the bike somewhere really quiet and working on the basics. You'll find the nerves will disappear when you start concentrating on actually riding the bike.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Electric kid

Electric kid

Hi Farhan,

Sorry to here that chap, sounds pretty rough. I crashed 12 times in my first year when I was 17 and was pretty lucky to get away with it.

I did a summer advance riding with Mammoth (it was a long time back so I think that's what they are called). Constituted mostly of advance police riders doing it for a cup of coffee in return. It helped with reading the road and riding defensively.

But a good few one liners that are always worth remembering; ride within your limits, if you feel too fast you probably are. Speed comes with time. And slow in fast out.

4. Frogcake

Frogcake Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your off but sounds like you're approaching it with the right attitude. Bikesafe is a good day. You should learn a few things and get a nice rideout too. :)
    I like the California Superbike School and even if you don't want to do track days it's well worth doing level 1 or even just getting Keith Code's book or cheesy video.

5. Farhan

Farhan

Thnx for your reply guys, Much appreciated. I forgot to mention i have already done bike safe, I did it couple of weeks before i came off. It was really good. It did help me a lot. I think i was getting over confident i could tell i was leaning more into corners and cornering speed had improved alot in last few days before coming off.

In last couple of days i have taken bike out for small rides. On the straight i feel fine its just at corners where im lacking the confidence. Do you think its a good idea to do some sort of track days to get to know the limit of mine or bike more?

6. Electric kid

Electric kid

I found riding on track did make me a better road rider. I started to really understand what a bike is capable of. Although they are two very different disciplines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

Hiya, welcome on board, go back to where you learnt and ask for 1-1 lessons? Bike safe, Fire Bike, all goon n cheap.

Best advise, take it slow, and practise, we are not a Moto GP rider, even if we have all the gear.

All the gear no idea normally.

I joined ELAM, it's over in Ilford, IAM guys.

8. Farhan

Farhan

Hey, I remember you from ST forum. :) Whats the difference between Elam and IAM? Thnx

9. Farhan

Farhan

Ignore my last post mate, Just did the Google and found out the difference. *Hiding my face*
    I am in East London so think i will be joining ELAM as well. Would you recommend it though? And how does it work?

10. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

(That's me) When you join IAM there a national thing, your assigned to a local IAM club, there my nearest, I'm over in Redbridge.

There are a few about, they do have some nice ride outs, depending where you are, they normally start at McDoanalds Harlow, just off of the M11

Pop me a PM if you'd like me to let you know when the next ride is.

It's helped me a lot, there a nice group, not too old! The rides are calm and not full of idiots, give one a whirl.

Hope you keep at it, sounds like you had a big off, take your time.

11. Farhan

Farhan

You aren't far from me, I am from Forest Gate, near Stratford. I will sign up for IAM tomorrow will take it from there. Might c u around sometime.

Yea it was a big off thats why didn't get on the bike for nearly 2 months. But now i think time and my condition is right to start where it all over again. Looking forward to it. :)

12. Rossgo

Rossgo

Guess I've already welcomed you in on the other thread!! As for advice on how to get your confidence back. First you have to get out and ride again you will always feel off after an off. Big or small, although yours does sound pretty big. IAM is a great way of tuning your riding, the observer won't ever push you into anything you don't want to do. They will show you the safest positions while out on the road to make your ride more enjoyable. Definitely worth doing plus it's only £150 quid for the year and for that there are ride outs pretty much couple times a month plus your monthly observed ride, lots going on

13. bex

bex

Rapid training is brilliant for road riding. CSS is really good and the theory applicable on the road too of course, but more track focused in my view.

14. Farhan

Farhan

Thnx for ur support guys. I will b signing up for IAM tomorrow. Will keep u updated with the progress. :)

15. Farhan

Farhan

IMG-20150607-WA0006.jpeg

Was just wondering, If this cover can b painted? If so does any one know where from around east London? Thnx

16. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Yes, those engine casings can be painted no problem whatsoever. They do not generally achieve particularly high temperatures, so conventional spray paint is perfectly fine. Buy a can of Satin Black from somewhere like Halfrauds & you can probably tidy it up easily enough yourself mate.

17. Farhan

Farhan

Thnx StMarks, will give it a try.

Just signed up for IAM. Now i have to wait 7 days before i get all the material in the post. Do they mean books n stuff ? And how do i let the local group know that i have joined?

18. I think that in the information pack you get they should have information on the local chapter or IAM and then you should be able to contact the local organiser to let him know your a full paid up member.

I think most of us have had some kind of spill, its nothing to be ashamed of about being damn scared about getting back onto the bike, its just a matter of belief in yourself and the bike. Just get out there on Dry days, if anyone is local go for a ride out and generally spend time on your lovelly bike, it all comes from learning to ride and enjoying it.

19. In terms of confidence, how much do you know/understand about the crash itself? Do you know what happened and is there anything you could have done (or indeed not done) to prevent the accident? Most accidents happen because the rider didn't react in the right way rather than because the bike couldn't make the corner. Unless there was something else involved it's unlikely your speed would have been too high to take the corner if you'd reacted in the right way when you're brain went 'Oops...this is a bit quick!'. If you can work this out, you'll be able to train yourself to react the correct way next time.

20. I found that the first time i went into a corner too hot i hit the front brake and went straight on into the curb dumping my Bike, now when i go in a little too hot i just try lean over and hang onto the bike, knowing that if i pull that front brake i am off into the hedge so i have to agree with MrAliT that you train your mind.