675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

How to - 1050 Throttle Mod

Discussion in 'How To's' started by JayQ, May 16, 2011.

1. StMarks

StMarks PTG

:pp Just kidding with you 6s3v3n5. : - All the UK feedback on the conversion was favourable, however it was not good enough for the Stateside member. Hence,,,, ;))
    Furthermore your beloved leader & representative American figure (whom we refer to as "The Trump") has famously tiny hands ?

Just trying to interject a bit of humour into a slightly awkward situation matey, :oopsoops:

2. R4CKS675

R4CKS675

Old thread I know but got a quick question.

Is it normal to have literally no play in the throttle once complete? Just done this on mine and adjuster locking nut is as far towards slack as I can get it and there's still zero play. I understand the reduction in the amount your have to twist to full throttle has to come from losing it somehwere but I was expecting a tiny bit of play.

Sure it'll be fine on a ride and something I can get used to but wanted to make sure I'd done it right.

Sent from my SM-G991B using 675.cc mobile app

3. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Fwiw I seem to recall that almost all remaining slack was removed on my bike, back when I did this modification.

4. 6s3v3n5

6s3v3n5

no, it should not be "slack-free". you set the play as per the manual. have mine set to about 2mm

5. R4CKS675

R4CKS675

Yeah figured something wasn't quite right. I literally have no adjustment left in the cable though. You reckon I've installed the throttle and housing too far round? Would that effect the play as the cables are routing slightly further? Not sure if it's that simple but with no more adjustment on the cable adjuster I'm not sure where I'm going to introduce the play from?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

6. 6s3v3n5

6s3v3n5

since you ran out of adjustment at the throttle, you will have to adjust the cable down by the throttle bodies

7. R4CKS675

R4CKS675

Excellent, another job added to the list

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

8. R4CKS675

R4CKS675

Scrap that, having looked into what's involved with even getting to the other adjuster at the throttle body end I simply can't be arsed . I'm on a limited time to get the bike back together before it goes in for a service and I have very limited time periods in which I can work on it.

This is typical me, everyone else says this is a 30 minute job and pays dividends. I have a go at it and need to strip half the bike apart to get it to work

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I've done it on both my gen 1 and gen 3 675R, definitely end up with less slack on the newer bikes, I think they have a different elliptical "cam" on the throttle bodies, this makes the total effect greater as well. I had to screw my adjustment all the way in just to get the throttle back together, luckily I prefer it with zero play anyway so it didn't bother me.
    If you don't want to adjust the cable at the throttle bodies, which can be a pita, you could file or dremel a small groove just at the start of the opening cam on the 1050 tube.
    I actually did this with my first 1050 tube as I'd fitted it before even riding my new to me 675R, and I found the initial throttle a bit too sharp, but after riding it for a while I wanted a bit extra and actually added more plastic around the cam to reduce the throttle travel even more.

10. R4CKS675

R4CKS675

Thanks for the info. Do you mean at the end of the groove above section one on the image of the throttle housing below? Presumably this essentially extends the groove and reduces the circumference of the throttle thus adding a little extra play?

Screenshot_20220222-213105_Office.jpeg

This may well highlight my density when it comes to these things, but guessing if the throttle is operating as normal (albeit with no play) that wouldn't suggest I've accidentally installed the cables the wrong way around? Presumably it wouldn't then operate properly?

Apologies, I do like to try these things myself if only to learn more about the bike (and cars) and how it operates rather than just piloting it.

11. Not the housing, on the throttle tube itself.
    In the picture above, where it shows the opening (top) cable, file a groove in the first approx 10mm of the plastic where the inner cable rests against, This should give you a little more free play but it will soften the first say 10% of throttle opening, will still be noticeably more aggressive than the standard tube though.
    Its quite hard plastic though and it took ages with a needle file so a Dremel would be better if you have one.

12. R4CKS675

R4CKS675

Yep sorry, the bottom pic is the picture I was referring to and what you've said makes sense and what I figured you were talking about. I can get my hands on a dremel. Thanks for your help, hopefully it all works out.

13. R4CKS675

R4CKS675

Cheers for the info mate. Tried this at lunch today and think i managed to get just enough play. Ended up having to take quite a bit out and made the groove quite deep in the end but I got there.

Haven't test ridden yet as also in the process of fitting heated grips so fingers crossed it works OK. If not going to have a pig of a job getting them off again