675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

If Carlsberg looked after the highways it would not be like!

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by fkkr1s, Dec 23, 2009.

1. fkkr1s

fkkr1s

Moderator Staff Member

I have to get this off my chest and as there is a space for this kind of rant, I intend to use it!
    Know doubt many of you have seen the news that we have had some snow, and in particular Basingstoke in Hampshire was hit really bad. Guess who was driving from Andover to Basingstoke then home - ME! Now my Rant:
    Listening to the idiots on the news is winding me up..They can take this propaganda and shove it were the snow can’t go.
    I left Andover yesterday afternoon at 4 to get home, on route I was dropping a couple of work mates off in Basingstoke, the snow came down, and a trip of 30mins took 2 and a half hours. We then got stuck in Basingstoke (gridlock) going nowhere - why?? Because there was NO gritting, NO information on the radio NO information on signs - Oh except ones that said to keep your speed down, No shit Sherlock, we are not going anywhere!!.. Then after sitting in Basingstoke for 4 hours, with emotions ranging from-we will be ok, to complete anger, to laughing as it is a bloody nightmare, back to I WANT TO BE AT HOME. Well after spending ages in Basingstoke going nowhere - DUE TO > people leaving the cars, people blocking the roads and roundabouts and people who were just plain ignorant I finally made it back towards the M3, it is now around 12pm.
    So heading up the M3 and finally arriving home at 1 in the morning (Maidenhead)
    And as for the reports this morning saying the emergency services where out! Crap, as for the snow ploughs out and highways people sorting the roads - Crap! And as for the ignorant, selfish driver last night - I can’t put this in writing. I hope in 2010 you learn to respect fellow man.
    Special shelters set up last night were mentioned on the news this morning, Ok yet again if you are stuck in your car and listening to local radio (a nightmare in its self) which does not tell you or gives you any news of them it’s no good hearing this the next morning when you are thankfully home.
    So to the local authority of Basingstoke and the highways agency who were nowhere to be seen, Thanks for nothing – And I would also suggest that someone should check the credibility of the so called salt that they chuck on the road as it would not even kill a slug!

Now that I have got that of my chest I can let go…
    On a plus note – we helped pushed many cars on route, and got the same support back.
    Rant over – Have a Merry Christmas..
    PS > See Pictures of fun trip posted.

2. sounds like a horrendous trip mate, glad youre home safe though

3. andysjt

andysjt

sounds like a good adventure .....not
    i don’t know if you find the same but some people just can't drive in the snow & ice anymore ,they have lost the skill /confidence to do so .

last year i saw a range rover that just couldn’t get up the hill , i overtook him and got to the top of the hill no problem in a ford courier van ( which are crap in the snow ) ... why ?

also spotted a bmw with the driver out trying to push & drive it at the same time whist half on the road and half on the pavement again i just slowly rolled past ,
    trouble is these doughnuts just block the road for the rest of us and ultimately no one is going anywhere we haven’t had any snow to speak of yet but i think its on its way

4. Now sure about the range rover, crap tyres maybe.

bmw - well that says it all - rear wheel drive and poo in the snow/icy conditions.

5. fkkr1s

fkkr1s

Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Nige - It was and yes home safe, not been out since LOL... :lol:

6. Rowly

Rowly

We've had the global warming fist rammed down our throats by the green zealots for that long, it makes us all believe that we can't have these sort of conditions on our roads anymore, the local authorities have cut back year on year in stock piling grit and paying man power to save money and now they have been caught with their pants down, the same stories are echoed across Britain, they are saying in Scotland that its been the worst winter weather for 20 years, better warn of the next ice age then cause we are all going to freeze to death.

7. Sounds like a bad trip back home mate, had the same problem getting into Maidenhead as well, took me 7 hours to get from Egham to Maidenhead. Left Egham at 4.30 walk in my front door at 11.30 and not very happy. Saw my first gritting lorry on the roads the next morning at 4.30, at jct 8/9 M4. The councils in the Berksire area got it so wrong.

8. D41

D41

Er...what does Carlsberg have to do with this, or am I just a thickie?

9. fkkr1s

fkkr1s

Moderator Staff Member

10. fkkr1s

fkkr1s

Moderator Staff Member

11. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGl9skcIpnw[/youtube] :lol: