675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Lack of local road salting/treatment!!

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by stubest8, Jan 15, 2013.

1. stubest8

stubest8

Jesus H Christ, when will the think idiots within councils realise that it's no point having lovely clear snow/ice free main roads when you can't even get your bike/car from your house through your housing estate to these main roads!!
    I had to get the Mrs to take me into work this morning as the roads on my new estate are literally like sheets of ice but as soon as you get to the main road the surfaces are perfectly fine.

Does my nut in, all they need is some of the councils vans (that are probably sat around doing F all cos they're constantly on a tea break or striking for more pay) with mini gritter machines on the back to fly round all the housing estates in their area once or twice a day and it would be sorted.. Or is that just me being too logical?!

Rant over... Thanks i feel better now..

2. Residents of a street could always take it upon themselves to grit their own road.

3. stubest8

stubest8

Residents of the street would love to grit there own street if there were any grit bins or grit to use. Seeing as though we have to go through the estate and then down a pretty steep hill directly onto a T junction with a busy main road you would think that the afore-mentioned SH*T council would provide this!!

4. :D I didn't mean using the council's bins & grit. I meant that grown men should be capable of taking care of themselves.

5. Rossgo

Rossgo

I think the people in this country pay enough tax etc for councils to go around the estates as well as main roads tbh. Makes me pissed off when I see main roads fine and yet to get to that I have to go through 3/4 mile of little roads to get to it and when those roads are very badly maintained as well you never no what your about to drive/ride over probably a massive pot hole as my road is full of them!

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

6. To be fair I wish they would put less salt on the roads my lovely BMW is now covered in crap :lol: Just kidding you have a valid point more needs to be done about it but under this administration unless you earn 6 figures a year the government don't want to be your friend they just want to pull your pants down bend you over and throw away the lube...

7. May I ask what calculations you used to come to this conclusion?

8. You do not need grit to clear a road of snow and ice, it is just hard work, once upon a time people used to do it, and clear paths, now everyone thinks it is someone else's job, so if one does not do it no one does.

There is enough people out of work or who do not want to work, school kids prob not at school, it is good fun when a load of people are messing around doming something that all will benefit, just takes a couple to start it

9. stubest8

stubest8

Seriously what century is that scene from!!?? :?
    As one of the other guys said there are miles of roads that need to be treated and aren't its not just my own private 3/4 mile drive way that im on about here its the maze of roads on any generic housing estate. You really expect people to come out in the morning at 04:00 before the first people go to work and pick/shovel what would be tons of snow and ice of the local roads?? PLEASE!
    COUNCIL TAX comes to mind. They collect my bins from outside my house on these estate roads so whats different here?

10. If it's not a private driveway then surely it's council's responsibility? I live at the end of cul-de-sac which is never being gritted which is rather annoying :evil:

11. Surely it's "Iceman"'s responsibility.

Seriously though - if you wan't anything not on private property to be the council's responsibility, then you need to cough up alot more dosh. What is the council? It's not a superhero. It's not even a thing. It's just people. People only grit other people's cul-de-sacs, when they could be at home with their kids, if you make it worth their while. Saying "it's the council's job" presupposes that you've already provided the council with the resources and incentive to do the job.

12. Sorry just harsh reality

It is never going to be done, there is just not the infrastructure now to do it, or the cash, I find it just as frustrating but rather money spent on better road surfaces, proper white lines, and no big pot holes. so if you want something done do it yourself, I mean seriously what snow we get now days is nothing to compared to back in the 60s and 70, early 80s, and we all managed far better then that we do now.

For me I use the car and have winter tyres on it, so I can drive anywhere

13. I was up at 630 clearing the road with a neighbour so we could all get out.

Was fun, like going to the gym only free.

14. StMarks

StMarks PTG

I cleared the run past my place too, only Billy No-mates. (Although my neighbour did give me a appreciatively dismissive nod as he took advantage of his safer passage).
    :p I bet my blood pressure is better than his though. ;)

15. I can understand that resources are limited and obviously main roads have to be gritted/cleared first but to not even once grit smaller roads in few weeks like it was last year is a bit of a piss take in my opinion. Especially that it's not exactly world's end where I live.
    And I'm sorry but I don't get what sort of 'incentive' you have in mind... it's their job, they're getting paid to do it... that's the incentive.

16. Well that's kindof begging the question. Is it mandated that they grit your cul-de-sac? Have they been provided with sufficient resources to do it? If the answer to either of those questions is 'no', then who, and why is someone going to don a council worker's yellow bib and grit your cul-de-sac?

Someone already said that they pay enough taxes that it could be done (assuming that it should be done). If this is certain then surely they can explain how they calculated this?

17. D41

D41

What about simply from a safety standpoint....getting emergency vehicles to their destination for example??

18. Rossgo

Rossgo

A couple of years ago me and me dad went out to grit and shovel all the snow from the road....people saw us doing it....no thanks. No help. No f'ing point haha!! But they had a nice week or so with a clear road!!

What about community service criminals? Couldn't they get off their lazy arses and give something back and thats for free!!

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

19. Good point D.
    Triplex... I know that resources are limited and we're not living in a perfect world... but at the same time I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the council or some other authority is responsible for all public roads. If there's a pothole on a road leading to my house am I supposed to fix it myself because it's not a main road? Also, if 'my' road is not being gritted and someone else's is why we're both paying the same amount of council tax? Hell, I wouldn't mind paying a few quid more to have a clear road in the winter.
    And another thing - if you start clearing snow/ice on a public pavement/road and don't do it properly which will then lead to an accident, someone slipping etc then AFAIK you're responsible for it. At least that's what I was told when I worked in a restaurant - as we were only responsible for the building's footprint we're not supposed to clear the path to the front door as this would make us potentially liable for any accidents on this path.

20. ICEMAN 675 that is a myth, in fact you are more liable if you do not clear a path leading to your house etc. same as public paths outside shops, if you clear them you are no more liable than if you don't.

It is all about logistics, and numbers, there is not enough resources to clear every road/path etc, and then a possibility of them being snowed on again, (we all know how accurate the weather reports are) I certainly think certain small roads and hills on housing estates should be cleared over some, but seriously if you live in a cul de sac well in view it is selfish, when needs are greater else where.

As for Pot holes well they do not clear away by themselves like snow does, they only get worse so always need attention ASAP, and tbh never quick enough.