675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Lucky to still be here

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Cameron, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Cameron

Cameron

Went out for an early morning ride this morning. Noticed when I got to a junction near my flat that the bike sounded funny, a bit like how it sounded when I let it run a bit dry. Took note, and thought that I better check it when I stop at the meeting point with my mates. Running late, so in a hurry, blasting down the motorway. Start seeing some smoke coming out the rear, but can't quite tell where it's coming from (if it's definately my bike). Came up to the lights, loads of smoke. Looked back at the rear. It's covered in oil, all over the rear tyre o_O

Someone had taken out the oil plug (found it on the ground when I got back to the flat, purposefully taken off and thrown into the corner). So lucky to still be here and not in pieces on the motorway.

11870784_10207074413609468_6393994108525337865_n.jpg

11059846_10207074413369462_8411360409600795215_n.jpg

11828637_10207074414089480_7294722648905163987_n.jpg

11828708_10207074413849474_6374552254561073351_n.jpg

2. NIGHTMARE! Glad your ok mate

3. Cameron

Cameron

Just had a new rear tyre put on it too :rolleyes:

4. Jesus, that is scary, glad you're ok. I take it you'll try to find out who took the filler cap off and 'have a word'. How low is the bike on oil after all that, any risk of engine damage?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Cameron

Cameron

No idea how I would find out. Tempted to ask the neighbours, see if it's one of them that has a problem with where I keep the bike (Under the stairs, out of the way and out of sight).

Hard to tell how low the oil was, I put about a litre in and started her up for a minute and it sounded okay, so I'm hoping it's fine. Not sure if I should do another oil change to double check for metal shavings. Just did an oil & filter change a month or two ago though!

6. I would definitely ask around, see if someone has a grudge against you/your bike. Can't see why anyone else would remove the filler cap and throw it away, especially if only they know it's where the bike is kept. If you know where the oil was on the dipstick before, and look at it now you've put a litre in you should be able to roughly work out how much was lost. You could always drop the oil out and look for metal particles in it, then put it back in if it's ok.

7. W_esty

W_esty

Glad you're okay! That's horrific it's been done too what a p**** to the culprick!

Hope there's no lasting damage, I'd do a oil and filter change just because it's been open on your ride

8. Rogerrabbit

Rogerrabbit

Wow that is truly shocking that some1 would even think about doing that let alone actually going through with it! Glad ur ok and hope ur bike hasn't been damaged.

9. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Very nasty, I hope karma catches up with the twunt who's responsible. Very pleased you weren't hurt, could have been very nasty.

Fwiw if I were you I'd ask the neighbours; "if they'd seen anyone messing round near your bike, as you'd nearly been killed due to oil on your rear tyre,,,etc..." rather than ask if they have a problem with you parking your bike where you do. As that approach may guilt the culprit into not repeating that conduct.?

:-?? I don't suppose they would have poured/stuffed anything into the filler hole whilst it was open.???

• Like Like x 1
  10. scary!

Glad you're ok and hope you find the person that was responsible.

11. T_daytona675

T_daytona675

Glad you are ok, I lock wire and clip which is zip tied on mine so no one can mess with it ImageUploadedBy675cc1439126933.331774.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. scaramanga

scaramanga

as allready sais id be tempted to give it a full oil/fillter change just to be on the safe side
    maybe buy a new filler plug with the holes in and lock wire it

13. Rossgo

Rossgo

What twit would do that sort of thing. I flipping hate people, can't keep their grubby mits off other peoples things. Definitely do a oil filter change. Sorry to hear that this has happened.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cameron

Cameron

Lock wire definately sounds like a plan, hadn't heard of people doing that before. Still can't get my head around why someone would do that.
    Will get an oil change done this week - need to check that nothing has been put in as much as anything!

All going well I'll be back up and running by next weekend. Think I'm going to have to start leaving it at a mates garage. Thought it was pretty safe where I was keeping it though!

15. Mate that's not far off attempted murder ffs, if u find out who it is cave there fucking head in. There's some real scum in this world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

Oh Lordy, glad your ok. Some very sick people out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I'd be tempted to contact the police. Not only is it vandalism to your bike but it was also clearly with malicious intent to make your bike unsafe on the road and cause you to potentially have a serious accident. It could also have led to serious injury to another motorist or pedestrian.

You never know, they may even do the knocking around at the neighbours for you to try and gather some information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cameron

Cameron

Yeah, been contemplating contacting the police today about it. Might do it tomorrow. Not sure how interested they would be, when I had my last bike stolen they couldn't do much about it. I guess that there is no harm in giving them a call.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

That's diabolical:mad::mad::mad: As above, I'd tell the police as whoever removed it must have realised that that could cause a serious off.

Feckin bastards:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

20. StephenP

StephenP

You've got someone watching over you, very very lucky to still be here.

Hopefully it's not caused any damage.

Doubt the police will help, but I'd be doing safety checks each time you take the bike out. Maybe get a security camera to watch the bike?

• Like Like x 1