675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

More electrical woes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gremlin, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Gremlin

Gremlin

My new stator looks like it's gone pop after only 6000 miles and is only putting out 25v to the reg/rec and should be around 45 + I believe. I got it from Electrex World and am a bit disappointed. Can't remember how long a warranty it csame with.

Has anyone else used them in the past or can recommend a good place to buy a stator from?

Cheers.

2. cpszx

cpszx

they have 1 year warranty on road bike parts.

what rpm are you testing at, as it is 45+ over 4k rpm, and was about 25 on tickover if i recall when i last checked mine.

the last reg/rec i bought came from www.mandp.co.uk for my Sprint, but they do stators as well, and better priced than OEM

3. Gremlin

Gremlin

I think it's me being a tool! I didn't rev the bike to 4000rpm. However, I think one of the three phases is duff? Two are at 45 + and one is 14.

Can anyone confirm the correct way to test a triumph 3 pin stator plug. I put the negative lead of the multimeter in the outside socket (one that is perpendicular to the other two) and placed the positive lead alternately into the other two, both giving 45 +. Is that correct? Moving the negative to the other two pins gives a low reading of 14.

The resistance (ohms) is within spec.

Not sure what else to test. Should I do a continuity test of the leads from the stator to the reg rec? The battery and reg/rec are OK.

Cheers.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin

It was the stator. Found a really useful vid on Youtube that's easy to follow.

Only one of the three phases was correct. Taking out the stator confirmed it;

Just put in a warranty cliam with the supplier as it's only 9 months old.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin

DOH, posted twice!

• Like Like x 1
  6. StMarks

StMarks PTG

I believe I may have an old spare, untested though. Possibly a bit of a risk on reflection. :oopsoops:

7. Gremlin

Gremlin

Just spoke to the nice people at Electrex World and they're sending out a new stator in the post after seeing pics of the failed unit.

• Like Like x 1