675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Philip Island March 2020

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Frequent Flyer, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

It’s been on the cards for a while - basically ever since I missed out on the NL Philip Island 2019 trip by a matter of minutes it’s been on the fridge as a reminder...

Agreed with Mrs FF to go on a family trip Feb-March 2020, doing Adelaide-Brisbane-Noosa-Byron-Sydney-Melbourne - booked the international flights back in June, after some consultation with Steve Brougie of Philip Island ride days on probable dates... well, those probable dates were excellent tips. The outline itinerary had us in Melbourne just in time to make the 11th March trackday

Better still, when “negotiating” the two weeks travel itinerary beforehand (visiting all the old places and old friends), my wife turned to me and said “why not do two days, I don’t like it, but I know it’s on your bucket list” - so am booked on for the 10th and 11th of March as of last night! Let’s just say I’m like a kid in a sweet shop right now!

IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG

Two days, 6 sessions on a 2019 BMWS1000rr and brand new alpinestars track gear - “bargain” at only £880 at the current exchange rate - but when you have 2.5 days at Mugello for the same on your own bike... let’s just say I hope I don’t crash it and get on with the Beemer!

I shall post some updates of the trip and the trackday in the new year

Got just over 4.5 months to play lots of PlayStation laps/watch lots
    YouTube/race footage!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Frogcake

Frogcake Moderator Staff Member

After having just watched the MotoGP, 2 days on track at Philip Island sounds epic!

3. Bigmac

Bigmac

I’m going to Melbourne next Xmas
    You reckon they do days over they Xmas period!

4. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Here’s the website @Bigmac https://www.phillipislandridedays.com.au/

They have rides on 18-19-20th Dec and then on the 2-3rd Jan. close enough? ** just realised you said next Xmas - use the above dates as a guide and they’ll be within a couple of day’s of those.

FWIW the January onwards dates were released on Thursday (so before the MotoGP) - think the Sept-Dec dates were released either in April or May. Sign up to their mailing list - they’re very good at answering reams of questions

Link to the bike and gear hire https://www.phillipislandridedays.com.au/pird-bike-gear-hire

And this Canuck gives a good overview of the day, hire bikes and gear you get. Debating wether or not to take my own lid or not. They provide back protectors too, no chest protectors if you want one though.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  5. Bigmac

Bigmac

We are going because my missus sister is getting married on the 19th
    Could be a good excuse for me to get out of the way the day before

6. Red675

Red675

That’s superb mate you must be like a kid at Christmas! Good luck, plenty of pics please and mind out for those cross winds at turn 1 ;))

7. Red675

Red675

You’re a brave man :lol:

8. Bigmac

Bigmac

I raced at Anglesey the day before a family holiday in Barbados if I said that the thought of crashing a missing it didn’t enter my mind in the last few laps I’d be lying

9. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Mrs FF let me have two days on track 10-11th, March only as we’re flying back home on the 13th. Theory being if I crash, it won’t ruin the rest of the trip...

10. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Well G’day all - I’m absolutely knackered and buzzing after day one at Phillip Island - what a circuit! - made friends with a young IT guy from Germany in my group - turned out he was a rider coach at the Sachsenring - explained why he was lapping at 1:55’s and I was lucky to be pushing 2:04’s... at least I wasn’t demoted to the novice group (not bad considering I’ve not been on a bike since end of Sept and never ridden a 1,000cc before), just need to be a bit braver and square off a few corners so I can drive out of them/let off the pressure on the bars once I’m set in the corners - see if I can do that tomorrow
    IMG_4396.JPG
    IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4414.JPG
    IMG_4418.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4443.JPG
    IMG_4446.JPG
    B74C99A0-B379-4B01-AAA5-9D64C27E8AA0.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Well, that’s day two done and dusted - and what a day it was! Armed with day 1’s knowledge of the hire bike and the track, plus a number of tips from the locals and instructors, I had a cracking day 2 - blue skies, low 30’s and no red flags in my session - although some plonker did overrun turn 2 and end up in the tyre wall... luckily that just cost me a new screen on the hire bike - and I’ve got room for it in my bag without the missus spotting it

Got some decent laps strung together in all sessions (bar the target fixation off) and ended the day with a best of 1:59.62 in session 4, plus another handful of sub 2min laps. Managed to get the hang of turn 12 onto the straight, staying wider in the fast 4th gear entry and not being scared of the bike shaking its head under acceleration at 200kmh whilst going right over to the right. Think I topped out at 275kmh at the end of the straight before barrelling into Doohans at 200kmh, then the double apex at the southern loop (don’t run wide/on here!).

Fast section next through stoners (4th, 190kmh) before on the brakes and dropping to 2nd at turn 4. Siberia has a couple of lines, slow and swooping or in deep, stand it up and power on - not sure which was faster!

Hayshed was another fast (190ish) section before dropping back from 4th into Lukey heights.

What a corner... uphill, leant right over (on your left) with a blind summit - it was eye opening to see how much extra speed some of the locals could take here! Brilliant fun!! Down the hill into a tight right at MG, but turn late to square it off and short shift into 3rd and then 4th at the apex of turn 11.

Gas it out, try to run straight/wide for turn 12, looking past the marshals hut for the late apex and once you can see the left hand leg of the gantry it’s full gas onto the straight for another hyperdrive-esque BMW catapulting towards the bass straight

Safe to say this is my new favourite circuit and I have another excuse/reason to move back to Oz now!

Anyone thinking of doing a day or two here - try and book two if you can, day one was worth it to learn and day two I could feel the seconds tumbling off my previous day - from running one solitary 2.04.78 lap on day 1 (most of the others were 2.06’s or higher) to a 1:59.62 - I could see solid improvement as I gelled with the bike and track. There were plenty of Brits (including another 675 rider, not on here yet), French, Spanish and local Aussies riding the hire bikes.

Now I want an autoblipper, semi active suspension, traction control and an extra 80hp for my 675r... and a local Phillip Island to ride each and every summer IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4471.JPG
    IMG_4584.JPG
    IMG_4561.JPG
    Need to find a fabric pen to tick the TT box...
    View attachment 51041

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Thanks for the write up :) glad you had fun and are safe. The S1000rr is a great bike isn’t it? I’ve done some rides on a mates gen 2 and really like it! Was a close contender for replacement to my 848 for sure

13. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Great write up(s) FF. Pleased that it sounds as though it's all lived up to your expectations (or even exceeded them).

14. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

It sure is very capable and very flattering to ride! I’ll be missing the extra top end at Portimao in September (and the “free” new tyres once it starts to slide)

15. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

For anyone tempted by one of these “special” overseas GP circuits, but miss out on any of the NL trips - it’s well worth trying the local bike hire outfits to see if it can be done independently. The Phillip Island one may as well have been owned by BMW - it was slickly run, very well maintained, they didn’t quibble once the tyres went off, kit was brand new almost, facilities top notch and the event well run (even free tea and coffee) - main difference to the uk is no noise testing, but they scrutinised each bike before it was allowed on track.

Well worth every penny/saving up for 18mths to do

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. I was very tempted last year but sadly was to late in their winter (mid June) was gutted!

17. I looked into doing this a few years ago for my mates 50th but he bailed out. Luckily I went with NL last year and made a holiday of it with the misses.
    Rumour is NL are going back 2021, if you can, do it. Only watch out for the geese in January.

18. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

What he said - allow some time for the go kart track too - good fun for £15. 2021 NL trip eh? Might just have to start saving up all over again...

The geese don’t seem to leave and still give you the eyes as they waddle across the track

19. Frogcake

Frogcake Moderator Staff Member

Sounds great. Pity I couldn’t join you this time but with family in Melbourne it’s definitely on the list!

20. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Definitely one to try to do - FYI there were a few there on short notice bookings, so check BOM a week or two before and should be ok to book on still (assuming coronavirus hasn’t caused complete lockdown beforehand).

Going through my GoPro at the moment and shall add some stills from my footage to give an idea of the circuit - not sure how to compress 3.5gb to a manageable file size...