675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Police!!

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Dazza92, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Dazza92

Dazza92

Got pulled the other day for doing 36 in a 30! Buts what's worse the car upfront was pulling a distance from me but he done me for speeding! As soon as he got out if his car he said we're not singling out bikes, SURE! Total pricks!

Moan over

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Two wrongs don't make a right mate, and that's 20%.

Having said that, If that is what happened Dazza92, then I would contest it in Court.

When they present the video evidence of you speeding, that showed a faster driver being ignored that would suggest that you were being singled out.
    I would also say that you were more tuned to safety & observing the surroundings (as this is always necessary in an urban area, especially on a vulnerable motorbike) than looking down at your speedo. I would say I was simply maintaining the traffic flow governed by the other vehicles (in front & behind) as that is the safest way to ride.

3. Dazza92

Dazza92

They don't your right, but the fact he went of his speedo and he couldn't even right the ticket out on his own. Who said the speedo is calibrated and what speed training has he got. The other way to find out is if the street lights are more the 180 yards away from each other it doesn't make it 30mph road

4. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

You are within your rights to ask to see the speedo calibration log the copper has to fill in before every shift when he stops you. If he hasn't filled it in he can't prove his speedo is correctly calibrated, game over and you walk. One of my old customers had a depot at Boreham near Chelmsford, which is a major Essex Traffic Police base, they've got 2 big white squares painted on the road 1/4 mile apart to time themselves over for exactly this reason not a mile from their base.

5. You got caught so take it man !
    In this case if you asked if they had video evidence (assuming they have) you should have said you were going to contest it in court there and then. Ninety nine times out of a hundred they will let you go with a caution for such a petty crime to avoid the hassle.

6. Where did you pluck that random info from. There is no requirement for a daily calibration check let alone a log. The only time you get to see the calibration certificate is if you elect for a trial, which you will never win. There is no requirement to prove your actual speed, just that you were exceeding the posted limit.

7. D41

D41

Great band!

Just take it...you did it right in front of a copper...there's no shame in that, but anyone who's ever gone fishing knows that you can't catch them all.

8. Question. If they can't prove your speed how can they say your speeding. Wouldn't that be just taking the coppers word?

9. D41

D41

I guess because 35, 36, 37, etc. is irrelevant??...I dunno??

BTW, a "calibrated" speedo in the UK means that every individual MPH is marked out, much like the minute marks on a clock....pandas don't usually have them, traffic cars always do.

10. They need two forms of proof. A calibrated speed reading and an opinion will do - or two coppers on beat duty both forming the same opinion without access to a speeding device will do.

As said, they only have to prove you were speeding, not your exact speed. The police officers word is taken as sacrosanct.

Fair ? No
    Will it stick in court ? Ofookinellyes.

11. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

My bad, I'm quoting much older practice - I've just checked and the speedo has to be checked after an offence using that speedo reading as evidence is going to summary prosecution or weekly at a minimum and signed off, or at service or when wheels/tyres are changed. The rub is that the copper (in England, N.I or Wales) can say whatever speed he likes at the roadside and its his word against yours in court. Guess which way the courts will go? I'm not saying its getting routinely abused but it is open to abuse the way it's set up.

Check the net if you wish Caspian, but please start with the link below from Kent Police website.

http://www.kent.police.uk/about_us/policies/p/p04.html

12. Stu675

Stu675

Last time I was stopped for speeding the bike cop showed he caught me at 59 on his radar gun. After a few words he let me off, he was quite impressed that I knew was that despite it being a 6 lane dual carriageway, it was a still a 30.
    It's amazing what a lot of contrition will do. Or maybe he was just a decent guy.

13. StMarks

StMarks PTG

:p Perhaps most of us would rather accept the fine? -rather than take your approach of : flashing your eyes at him and saying "I've never been in the back of a police car..."

;)

14. Jay311275

Jay311275

We (myself & Dazza92) not so long ago got pulled over by 2 Police Officers, now I appreciate they do a hard job BUT they DO single bikers out !!!

We're riding up in a 50 and pls bare in mind my bike is all black and Dazza's is all white SE.... Well I'm dropping it left to right a little to generate/spread a little heat into the tyres as I always do. We're not hooning it but maybe just a tad over the 50. We get to the set of traffic lights and stop, now Mr Police officers were in the right hand slip lane that ONLY goes right, me n Dazza were in the MIDDLE lane that only goes straight on, UNTIL Dazza pointed into his chest in order for me to look behind me for the Police car about a cars length behind in the tight lane... I had already noticed them but thought nothing of it as they were turning right and we weren't being reckless. As soon as Dazza pointed it out and we started to ride off what do we see ??? Flashy lights indicating us to pull over :/
    " right guys were not singling you out because your bikers, but you were WELL over the speed limit! When you came past us (they were coming out of a side street)", " was we I asked a bit bemused" "yes we heard your bikes and me and my colleague could not hear ourselves think inside our vehicle (land river)"
    So now I'm thinking you guys are fully trained in bring able to judge a speed by sound Wow the training they receive is many light years ahead than the world realises!
    So IF you have a slightly louder than conventional pipe you to could be speeding!!! These guys can tell.
    Oh and the best bit.... "One of you, either the BLACK or WHITE one was weaving left and right"
    it's not illegal to tip back and forth as long as I remain in my lane and don't disrupt other cars which we weren't !!!

15. W_esty

W_esty

Made me lol!

Dazza youve been singled out and it's a shame

Clarkson even said on his twitter (can't find it now)
    Something like...
    'Everyone single person with a driving license speeds at some point'

16. I have sympathy for anyone who gets caught as no one wants to speed and generally motorcyclists take more than car drivers, but I don't see how you can be pratling about one minute then moan because you get picked up on it.
    There is no specific offence of lane weaving but if you asked Mr average if it was below the standard of driving he expected of a careful and competent road user -- he would say it was. And there driving without due care and attention.
    We all do daft things from time to time but don't moan just because you got caught.

17. D41

D41

Most bike and rider combos just look black from behind - doesn't usually matter what the actual colour of the bike is.....you've got a big black rear tyre, a big yellow registration plate/airbrake which masks the undertail colour, a big black exhaust, a red taillight and then a black leather suit.

18. Ntecuk

Ntecuk

Well. Speed is a funny old thing.

Posted limmits are not allways appropreate.Some times tooo high and most too low.
    Police pursuite often exceed the posted limmit. So if they deam it safe to maintain thoes speeds is mr joe public any different.
    60 down the tiptree road in an austin 7 in ideal weather would be recless.
    Drive a GTR in the rain allong the same road you have a far better chance to stay on the road or stop in an emergency.
    There is no allowance for this by the police

19. Ludoctro79

Ludoctro79

I got stopped other week doing 118 and got let off with warning, my hubby was in front of me heading to ferry , dual carriageway and not a thing in sight, they stopped us and gave him a ticket for 83 mph taking him to 9 points

I just got told my plate is illegal and I should change it.

I think it depends if you get a couple of jobs worths or not.

A mate of ours got done for 34 in a 30 - come on really..??? Seemed pretty harsh.