675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Police!!

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Dazza92, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Jay311275

Jay311275

[/quote]

Spreading heat!!?? Of course you had someone around you, you just said the police stopped you.[/quote]

I guess you were around as well ?
    Well like I said no other traffic was around us. Yes they stopped us, but I also mentioned we rode past them as they were in a side road not on the road we were travelling on. They pulled up to the lights where we had stopped in a different lane altogether and when we pulled away they had then decided to change lane and stop us. IF they had an issue with our riding why not pull us when we were at the lines adjacent to them and other cars in front of us stopping any means of stopping us ?

All in trying to say is, we weren't driving like crazed fools, we weren't hopping lanes.... Just travelling down a dual carriage with no other cars around us... Ok yes maybe there was some stationary about 2/3rds if a mile up ahead at the lights but not in anyway in any vicinity for me to be a risk to the public. We weren't breaking any laws, we weren't at risk to anyone else, we were just riding along.... They "ASSUMED" we were up to no good or likely to be getting into no good just because we were 2 nice powerful bikes together.... They attmitted stopping us because they said it sounded like you were pinning it, hmmmmm pinning it, if I was I'd not be stopping at any lights for no cop. The bikes were slightly loud and they ASSUMED we were tanking it that's all they had !

2. Ntecuk

Ntecuk

The number of car drivers on a mobile far outstrip the number of bikers with pipes and plates !

3. Jay311275

Jay311275

True dat, not to mention the non insured, MOT failures drunks etc etc.

4. Still not going to stop police pulling bikers.

If I was cop I'd pull bikers just because I like arguing

5. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

"Mr Average thinks"? Excuse me - but isn't that why we have specific offences, the moment we let the "Mr Average" argument in we have left the rule of law and we are entering a grey area where Mr Average thinks someone is acting suspiciously and the poor guy walking down the road ends up in jail etc because he just "looked as if he might up to no good". This is exactly what the infamous "Sus" laws were about in this country and more recently the Zimmerman/Martin incident in Florida.

If someone has been witnessed committing a crime or a traffic infraction that's fine - stop them and either warn them or report them for prosecution, but applying random probable cause like "Mr Average would think" is not the rule of law, it is the abuse of power, after all Mr Average would bring back hanging, but nearly 50yrs of Government has steadfastly refused to ask Mr Average in a referendum - so if the Government that makes policy for the Police doesn't trust in Mr Average why do the Police.

Sus laws - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sus_law

Zimmerman/Martin - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin

6. Ok so it doesn't say Mr average directly but "falls below the standard expected of a careful and competent road user" is pretty much what it says.
    There is no specific offence of pulling wheelies either but your average road user would say it was below the standard they expect so the offence is complete.

7. Deegee

Who is an average road user? Is he old or young, a car driver or a motorcyclist, is he a reactionary or is he an extremely tolerant type? This is not objective use of the law, it is entirely subjective and your "careful and competent road user" is then the guy in the uniform and whatever judgement he makes at that moment, if he's just had his ass chewed by his Sergeant that is going to affect his opinion/judgement, possibly with unfortunate ramifications for someone on the road.

I agree that law enforcement is req'd, however I would like it to include being stopped for actual offences, and getting back to the o.p. I for one as a motorcyclist of nearly 40 yrs do not consider weaving to warm tyres up as below the standard, in fact I would say if its done properly and within your own lane it can be a responsible attitude and may prevent an accident. Why a police officer that may never have ridden a bike to gain an understanding of what and why that practice is used is allowed to pass judgement on it I really don't know.

8. dino

dino

FWIW Pulling a wheelie is failing to be in control of your vehicle. No front brake or steering when your on the back wheel and your warning lights are not properly positioned.

Your rearward a d forward vision is also compromised.

As for "warming" your tyres by weaving.

Oh come on .....anyone with even the tiniest appreciation of road tyre technology will know that is just rubbish.

We only do it because it feels good to do it.

9. When I was doing my 1 to 1 bike safe ride, a Kwak going the other way was weaving, trying to "warm his tyres". When we got back copper asked if I had seen the idiot weaving thinking he was on track getting his tyres up to temp. He was not impressed and basically said that this does nothing for riding on the road, with road tyres and all he was doing was looking an idiot and bringing attention to himself. Copper's attitude was other road users won't have a clue why he is doing what he is doing and will just think another idiot motorcyclist.

We may think, rightly or wrongly, that this does generate enough heat to make a difference, but majority of road users are not interested in Motorsport and how tyres work better when warm and therefore will just look at what is being done as someone being stupid

10. Deegee

Sorry guys I disagree, it does help get tyres warmer, flexing of the carcass can do nothing but warm the tyre, yes tyre warmers are far more efficient as is heavy acceleration or braking (which is likely to get you busted for reckless driving btw), but any heat is good on a cold tyre especially the std fitment tyres to 675's which have a poor rep as a cold/wet tyre. Anyway what business is it of a copper if someone does draw attention to themselves? If they aren't breaking a law where's the harm? This reinforces my point about being stopped or prosecuted for actual offences not " because he was drawing attention to himself".

11. Think point copper was trying to make was motorcycling in uk is seen as generally anti social and majority of public still associate motorcycling with Hells angel type. Therefore anything a motorcyclist does that gets them noticed just enforces the negative view of it.

Not enough is done in this country to highlight the good things bikers do, Easter egg runs to hospitals, blood runners etc.etc. Therefore if we want more general acceptance then we have to go that extra mile to convince Mr and Mrs Average that we are not murdering loonies, raping and pillaging the local villages :D

Just on the issue of generating heat into tyres, surely the stop start nature of road riding negates any extra heat generated by weaving. On track you are on attack mode for the whole lap but 1 minute behind Miss daisy on the A605 and you are back to general operating temp

12. StMarks

StMarks PTG

I suspect that (rightly or wrongly) "average copper" may naturally tend to interfere with motorcycle riders to a far greater proportion for various reasons.:
    Due to the nature of their role (to enforce our laws) they may be inclined to assume the role of pubic protector, subconsciously observing us as more vulnerable & therefore more deserving of their attentions.?
    Also we are easier targets. In an increasingly results driven environment we are more likely to reward their attentions.
    Furthermore plod will notice motorcyclists more because they are less common & therefore inherently more noticeable.

Incidentally, in the incident that I had referred to earlier; I was "told off & let off" when my enthusiasm allowed my front wheel to drift skywards.

13. D41

D41

The number of cars far outstrips the number of bikes...period. And everyone has a mobile these days, so not sure what your point is??

14. dino

dino

Degee

Road tyres are designed to operate safely over a wide range of temperatures, unlike track tyres.

if you weaved continuously at 70 mph for a couple of miles, instead of riding normally, there is a slight possibility that you would warm the tyre slightly.

Of course you would need to be a good enough rider to be a top racer to make any use of the minuscule difference and you would be unable to keep that minuscule difference unless you were continuously really pushing the bike as you would on a grippy track surface.

I only ever did it to clean the tyre edges after driving through gravel and/or mud.

15. Jay311275

Jay311275

Well said Deegee !

16. D41

D41

Why is it "well said" other than Deegee agrees with you?

You got stopped, that's all....you sound like a girl the first she gives birth to a baby.

17. dino

dino

Its a matter of opinion, and that is one opinion that is not unreasonable, except the bit about warming your tyres adding anything to safety.

The change in grip from a tyre "warmed" in this way is less than the difference from passing from a brightly lit to a shaded part of the road on a dry sunny day. Does anyone adjust their speed for the lack of grip caused by a cooler road surface in that scenario?

Ideas like this belong in the same outdated idea bin as ones like warming your bike up before riding off. Might have made a difference 20 years ago but not with modern bikes and tyre technology

18. Jay311275

Jay311275

[[/quote]Alright, enough!....the moment people start making comparisons to Hitler/Nazi Germany I just switch off, because that's just a plainly ridiculous analogy that for some reason certain people think seems to prove a point.[/quote]

???

My point D41, is we're not all criminals, regardless of what I do on the road... Unless I break the law that the police are there to enforce! Treat me like an innocent... Pls exain WHY do the police treat majority of bikers as guilty before shown to be innocent.
    Are all bikers law breakers, are all Muslims terrorist, are all junkies beyond help, are all soldiers killers... My point is until I break the law don't go accusing me of possibly being a criminal/law breaker just because I chose to ride on 2 wheels. Regardless of if I create attention to myself I STILL have not done anything illegal, I've not endangered anyone's life and not caused any distress to anyone. Mr Average may think what a bellend ! So what ?
    As far as scrubbing a bit of heat into the edges of the tyres, well Mr Hawkins himself could tell me it don't do F all really... But for my piece of mind any friction between rubber and Tarmac creates a little heat, no maybe not enough to go winning championships etc BUT for me whilst riding on the road that if I have managed to make my ride a fraction bit safer because I managed to raise the tyre temp by 0.01 C, well hoooya
    And in doing so I still haven't part taken in any reckless or criminal activity... So please Mr Police officer don't treat me like I have or "possibly" could do because that's called discrimination.

19. dino

dino

The point you have demonstrated, by taking that course of action, is that you are not that very knowledgeable and you have done absolutely nothing to make your ride safer. You might even have made yourself more dangerous and a liability to other by your mistaken belief.

Hence my posts about tyre temperature ranges, road surface temp the immediate loss of any miniscule temp gain and different road surface grip within even a few yards of road surface.

I suspect that most traffic cops who saw you doing and stopped you to ask you why you were doing it and, from the answer you have given, conclude that you have no idea what you are talking about and possibly a danger to others.

But that doesn't excuse them targeting bikers.

However, in this case, by weaving around you almost g'teed to attract the attention ......so you cant complain.

20. Bigmac

Bigmac

Wow you lot go on lol, I think the fact is weaving isnt breaking the law but it is gonna get you stopped end of