675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Police!!

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Dazza92, Jul 27, 2013.

1. But the fact is that pretty much anything other than the style of riding you were taught to do on your DSA test can be construed to be "due care and attention". The standard is judged against how you are expected to drive/ride. No point arguing it. The road traffic act is one of the most tested pieces of legislation in England, wales and NI (Scotland have their own law).

If someone wanted to try and use the tyre warming defence i court, then your brave, very brave.
    Other than at big events or on specific biking routes, police do not target bikers. We all bring attention to ourselves as said above with small plates, loud exhausts or bizare riding styles.

2. dino

dino

The only defense for weaving from side to side that you might use is:

You had just ridden through mud/tar/gravel and were concerned that some had stuck to the tyre and you wanted to be sure that by gradually increasing the lean a little at a time, as you went along, the bike would not do anything unexpected as you leant the bike over to negotiate the next bend/roundabout.

3. Jay311275

Jay311275

[/quote]I suspect that most traffic cops who saw you doing and stopped you to ask you why you were doing it[/quote]

Funny that, because that's not why I said we got pulled.
    In fact the only ref made to the weaving was "one of you were bobbing around, either the black one or the white one"
    The reason they pulled us was because as we rode past them along a dual carriageway, which they were not actually on but at a T-junction waiting to join the dual carriage way... The officers words were "You were speeding weren't you(looking for some admission of guilt, but all rubbish as weren't, but I'm sure there are a few on here who would say ahhh well you were 3miles over so yes you where technically)you must have been speeding as it sure sounded like it"
    THAT was his/their reason to stop us because we sounded loud !
    And before you start with the oh well that's what happens when you have an illegal can yadda yadda rubbish. I DON'T !
    But maybe the officers aren't trained in thinking that 2 bikes riding along could possibly sound louder than normal, or a troop of bikes could be louder than normal !! ?

4. dino

dino

Neither did I.....

Given that you admitted you were doing over the speed limit in your first post, then you state that weaving warms your tyres and claim that it adds to your safety, I wonder if there is anything else you might have done to attract their attention.

The weaving was probably what attracted the attention in the first place and then something happened at the junction to make them change thier mind.

Sit at the junction blipping the throttle, did you look like you were taking the mickey or make any gesture to your mate because you thought they were turning off.

Once he stopped you it was easy to pick on the noise and claim speeding, just to see what you said.

Bikes nearly always sound as though they are speeding.

I can only think you must have a very loud can to stop a copper like that from thinking..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

It appears to me that throughout this thread we have two schools of thought, Firstly we have people that believe police have no business stopping them unless they have or are breaking the law and deeply resent their personal freedom being infringed in this way. Secondly, we have people that do not mind being stopped randomly and easily tolerate their personal freedom being infringed, they also go out of their way whilst riding to avoid drawing attention to themselves from either the general public or the police

I clearly fall into the former group and whilst I violently dislike being pulled over for random reasons, I also realise that if I ride like a dick the chances of my 10yr old son being able to have the choice of riding a bike for the rest of his life are reduced - I agree that all the charity work (which I take part in btw) bikers do is easily forgotten by one idiot screaming past their house at 100mph with open pipes, I also agree that however much I dislike it the general public still sees bikers as "Hells Angels" and troublemakers - an image not helped by popular media either. However none of that excuses bikers being stopped more than other groups on the road, this is still ostensibly a free country and despite any "human nature" reasons that may be found it is still not acceptable to do this, I hold my personal freedom and privacy as sacrosanct and unless I have broken our societies laws or rules I will never tolerate any intrusion of them.

6. Jay311275

Jay311275

[/quote]

Neither did I.....

Given that you admitted you were doing over the speed limit in your first post, then you state that weaving warms your tyres and claim that it adds to your safety, I wonder if there is anything else you might have done to attract their attention.
    A. Speeding I was referring to is that I was probably doing 50-55ish in a 50, and no matter how amazing an officer you are, your eyes and ears are not speed calibrated !
    All that was done at the lights was that Dazza pointed out that plod where in the right turning lane at the lights, I may have shrugged my shoulders not giving a hoot as I had not done anything wrong..... But I guess shrugging at lights could be considered reckless or sitting at lights without "due care and attention" ?

The weaving was probably what attracted the attention in the first place and then something happened at the junction to make them change thier mind.
    A. The sound attracted them as they openly admitted !

Sit at the junction blipping the throttle, did you look like you were taking the mickey or make any gesture to your mate because you thought they were turning off.
    A. I don't "blip" as you call it and what reason would I have to take the piss ? Unless they deemed shrugging of the deadly shoulders piss taking?

Once he stopped you it was easy to pick on the noise and claim speeding, just to see what you said.
    A. So trying to put words in my mouth or make a false accusation ? Thought these guys are supposed to "uphold" the law not abuse it ?

Bikes nearly always sound as though they are speeding.

I can only think you must have a very loud can to stop a copper like that from thinking..... :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

It's actually a standard shop fitted one !?

Attached Files:

7. dino

dino

Having never been stopped, for no reason at all, I generally think the police do not infringe our civil liberties.

Then again, my job demands a clean licence so I try not to attract too much attention. Although I always have aftermarket exhausts and a slightly smaller plate.

8. Wyrm

Wyrm

If you could only see what the French and Italian Police take no notice of, you'd swear the UK Police were infiltrated by jobsworths. ;)
    That said. If you break the law then don't go crying to me. Its just tough. Can't do the fine? Don't do the crime. Its generally the younger element too... you know, the ones in the highest accident rate group. ;)
    Weaving is against the law, you're lucky you didn't get a court appearance.

9. Jay311275

Jay311275

Are you sure ?

10. Wyrm

Wyrm

Yes. Its illegal for cars also.

11. Deegee

News to me, assuming you're in correct lane and not over the speed limit etc, what rule would that contravene?

12. D41

D41

It might fall under "display of speed"...I'm not certain...a wheelie can be done the same way.

13. Wyrm

Wyrm

Being in proper control. Same with wheelies.
    Yes I know you have to be in control to weave and wheelie... but that's the law. ;)

14. Deegee

Hmmm, a wheelie I can understand, as was stated above you don't have use of steering or front wheel braking whilst the wheel is in the air - similar for a stoppie, but weaving? Don't see how that could be construed as not under proper control as you have full use of all controls and could stop or swerve to avoid an accident, I think a successful prosecution for that would be very chancy at best.

15. Jay311275

Jay311275

I think they refer to it as a form of Filtering in the Highway Code. !!!

And surely if this type if weaving IS ILLEGAL, the officer should have arrested me or fined me etc as I openly admitted it was me !

16. cpszx

cpszx

i was trying to avoid all of the pot holes that litter the roads :lol:

seriously, you can ride along beside the uk version of the grand canyon between 2nd and 3rd lane of M11, from 1 mile marker for Harlow, all the way down to the Harlow junction sounthbound

17. Bigmac

Bigmac

My thoughts exactly lol

18. D41

D41

Jay, report the guy...if you're so right and he's so wrong then just report him...what do you have to lose??

Licence?

19. Jay311275

Jay311275

And I've nothing to gain either !
    What good is it going to do to report a bully ? When the general attitude of the force is that bikers are trouble etc ? Thus the majority(not all) of the police force tend to treat bikers differently to other road users.