675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Rear axel stuck - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Benjimon, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Benjimon

Benjimon

D675 (now blue) rear axel is stuck and won’t come out, no matter how many times I ask it with the mallet.

Spinning freely, right until I torque it up to 110nm. In fact, anything about 80nm seems to seize it up.

Done everything same as usual, checked it twice, and the bugger just won’t shift.

Anybody had this, or any tips?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

:-?? Fwiw I've had to swap my wheels round many dozens of times, & never once had a problem with removing my axel.
    Do you think it could have got wet when it was last out, and perhaps the damp has caused it to adhere to the inside of the bearings?

3. Benjimon

Benjimon

It’s been in the garage under a cover so I don’t think so - but maybe the inside of the bearings was damp. I’ll get the wd40 going on and see if that helps

4. Did you miss the spacer out in the back of the sprocket carrier? If you do that when you try to torque it and can seize up.

Try lifting the wheel up (wedge something under it) when you are hitting the spindle to take the weight off and it might get it moving.

5. Benjimon

Benjimon

Cheers Peggy - I think it out all the spacers in tights, though there is a couple mm gap between swingarm and spacers with no nut on, so maybe I’ve done a mess of it.

Tried taking weight off and that didn’t do the trick so I’m gonna try and WD40 it into submission, get a bigger hammer, and if that fails go crying to the garage...

6. Bigmac

Bigmac

I never use a hammer on my rear or front axle and it makes me cringe when people do!
    I realise you probably need to here but make sure you work out the issue and don’t use a hammer to put it back in.

The only issue I’ve had on track and I’ve seen others have are the captive spacers sometimes are a little tight when new and that causes the axle to get stuck, I clean them up with some emery cloth before I fit new sets.

7. Benjimon

Benjimon

I know what you’re thinking bigmac, but nothing else seems to be working.

Suspect I’ve got one of the spacers backwards and it’s jammed up in the bearings, and not for shifting... so I’ve been to b&q and got me a big lump hammer and a block of wood.

Wish me luck!

8. Benjimon

Benjimon

Still no joy. Piece of wood and a big lump hammer managed to move it about 20mm but still not free and can’t get it any further - or back in properly. The spacers at each side can move freely and no amount of lube is making a difference. I think the bearings inside the hub must have become compressed onto the axle and so it’s gonna take a lot more hammer that I can do.
    Next call - garage

9. Benjimon

Benjimon

10. Benjimon

Benjimon

11. Bigmac

Bigmac

If I was at work I’d say get some heat on it but that would do a lot of damage
    There is something definitely wrong for it to get stuck there
    You might have to get a solid drift like a socket extension and just beat it
    You will cause damage but it’s got to happen now
    I have an axle that I can sell you

12. StMarks

StMarks PTG

The distortion you've created by hammering the threaded end lopsided, may well cause it to bind at that point too when you eventually get it moving. :((
    Fwiw I would lean the bike on it's left side, then splash some PlusGas (or similar release agent) onto the shaft that you've managed to get that 15mm or so out.
    Let it run down the axle shaft, plenty of it.
    Leave it a while to work in.
    Then take your new lump hammer, and tap that stub you've moved out back home. -Hopefully that will put some of the release agent inside the point that is binding.
    Next flip the bike back over, more PlusGas onto the threaded end, allow it to work down the shaft, and then try tapping it out again.
    If it locks up again, flip it back over & repeat.

Lastly, looking at that thread, I strongly suspect you're going to need to take up Bigmac's offer.

Good luck

13. In the mix

In the mix

I would angle grind the head off and knock it through from the non threaded side