675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Removing Datatool S4 alarm

Discussion in 'General' started by dyz, May 19, 2015.

1. dyz

dyz

Is it relatively simple to remove a Datatool S4 red alarm from a 2006 bike?

Bike's booked in for a service, so I'm tempted to ask the garage to remove it. But is it easy enough to do? I've read something about alarm blanking plugs somewhere... does it need one?

Bike came with the alarm and it has been going mental every time I've washed the bike and now it's getting worse.

Cheers,

2. Ahh. The datatool alarm. What a pile of shit invention!!
    I believe you do need blanking plugs of some sort and people on here with way more knowledge than me say it can be easy enough to DIY but as there is some cabling to do which means diving around in the depths aswell as these things being designed to not be removed easily then i would say if you don't already know how to do it then get the garage to do it. I had one that was always going off and draining my battery constantly and i took it in especially to get it removed. Cost me a fair few quid, possibly up near the £100 mark but i may have been ripped off as i was desperate (i.e. don't take it to Nene valley motorcycles in Wellingborough as they're not very good!) What ever happens you need to get rid and when you do you'll ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner...

3. I removed mine a couple of weeks ago, took me 5 minutes. Put the alarm in winter mode (ignition on (don't start bike), hold black and grey buttons for 10 seconds, should hear a beep, then turn ignition off). Remove both seats and seat fairing. Unplug alarm from harness, install blanking plug, remove alarm and rebuild. Ring your local Triumph dealer for a blanking plug, should have some lying around and cost you a few quid.

This is what you need:

Screenshot_2015-05-20-07-39-06.png

4. dyz

dyz

That's it?

Will do it myself instead of asking the garage if it's simple as that!

5. Yea that's literally all I did, bike fired up absolutely fine after that

EDIT: You'll have to remove the battery too to get the alarm unit out, forgot about that, sorry. Disconnect negative (black) cable first the positive (red), to reconnect positive first then negative

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dyz

dyz

7. dyz

dyz

Conntacted World of Triumph with the vin and got this in reply:

Any idea which one I need?

8. Not sure and I can't check mine until Saturday as I'm working away, did you email them? Might be worth ringing and asking to speak to one of the mechanics

9. I've had a look at the part numbers online, information about the T2500050 shows up to 2004 models, couldn't find any information on the T2500396 part except for that it was posted as alarm shorting link, I suspect it would be that one but not 100%

10. dyz

dyz

Nah, don't bother mate, I'll have a look myself.

Funny thing is, Total triumph wants proof of ownership (ok, understandable) , and £13. Local dealer said £20, for a plug!

Jeez!

Anyway, none of them said anything about 2 different plugs, so might be ok.

11. dyz

dyz

Sorted,
    Part number is T2500396.

Edit
    If this is a stupid thing to post, please delete.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Definitely not a stupid thing to post, it can be very helpful to anyone else wanting to remove the alarm

13. An old thread but just wanted to say thanks! This today to my Thruxton 1200 to get rid of the S4 and worked perfectly! I hate alarms!!!!

14. SW73

SW73

Hope you all get sorted. I have to say..11yrs and 40k miles with the d675 and I've had zero problems with my datatool S4. It's has been perfect. Carried the blanking plug all round Europe just in case...never missed a beat. I wonder how much it depends on just how shit the dealer was who fitted it?

15. I’ve not had any issues with the unit itself, and it was working okay, but it’s just a pain to use, and doesn’t save me anything on the insurance, so would rather not have it

16. scaramanga

scaramanga

ive also not had any issues at all with my alarm
    and im also a little grieved that a cat 1 alarm gets you nothing at all on insurance
    but I only pay around 100 quid fully comp anyway about the only advantage of living in cumbria

17. Yeah, I mean it’s tricky to know how hard the alarm is to remove by a thief but you would think being category 1 pretty hard...

I put the alarm in service mode and disconnected a single block connector, the most tricky part was the heat shrink rubber that’s used to stop it being disconnected. I guess the thief wouldn’t have the key fob, but it didn’t even beep or anything. Would have thought in modern standard it would have some sort of hidden pickup in the loom somewhere else that can detect for the main alarm module, certainly the bike trac is more hidden etc, but still saves about £5 on the insurance for a £350 install fee and £100 a year

18. scaramanga

scaramanga

I too wasn't impressed when I found out how simple it is to fit or disable
    should really be hardwired with all black wires that was the old standard for cat 1 alarms