675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Seat cowel

Discussion in 'General' started by peter hawkins, Aug 1, 2019.

1. peter hawkins

peter hawkins

I purchased one of these a couple of months ago then three weeks out of the blue out riding it flew off went back but could not find it,but had an idea where it might be,went out last night and luckily found it a few scratches, but not having removed it or touched it since it was fitted I do not understand how it could have come off is there fault with this product its just where the locking pin sits the recess is only about 8mm deep not much to grip the pin with the bike vibration, has anybody had any issues like this.:(

2. SW73

SW73

Peter, what year is your bike? I think the 2013 on had a problem which can be fixed with a modification. Someone will be along shortly no doubt. I seem to recall triumph replaced a few?

3. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

Most people simply assume it’s on, but it’s not.

Pop in the front and with a palm on the middle of the cowl, push gently down with your two hands until you hear the clock, there is a pin on the inside of the cowl around the middle, this needs to lock into the bike part.

Most people don’t push it far enough to click.

That’s how mine is anyway.

4. It's a really easy fix - the rubber mounts on the cowl are thicker than on the original pilly seat, so either swap em over or remove them entirely. I never had an issue with mine after I - eventually - realised this and after quite a bit of swearing trying to get it located initially.

5. D675hogg

D675hogg

The locking pins for them aren’t the best. You need to extend the length of the recess towards the tip. Best way is with a grinder but a hacksaw will do the job just a bit slower. You will feel the catch engage fully once you have the recess long enough. Did that to mine and has been spot on ever since. Don’t know why Triumph can’t get it right!!!!

6. Noooooooooo! That's way too much faff and hard work. By using shorter / no rubber mounts it will allow the locking mechanism to be pushed down further and fully engage.

7. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

Hehe, I just push mine till it clicks, that’s it.

8. D41

D41

Mine came off years ago riding through the canyon & my friend, riding behind me, caught it!!! Epic save or what??

• Like Like x 1
  9. If he caught it in his teeth I'd be really impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. StephenP

StephenP

Pictures or it never happened

11. D41

D41

No pics, unfortunately. We were flying through the canyon & I noticed he wasn't behind me anymore. So I'm waiting at the side of the road just looking in the mirror for him...couldn't see my cowl was gone. Then finally he pulls in behind me & I get off...where the fcuk is my cowl??
    My mate then pulls it out of his jacket....it hit him in the chest & he grabbed it..!! A true "WTF moment".

12. Hogster

Hogster

Anyone else notice on the 06-12 shape that the seat cowl doesnt sit flush leaves a big gap between fairing and cowl??

13. peter hawkins

peter hawkins

It was located correctly it clicked when I fitted it but but when I looked at it more closely I found that the recess had a crack near it so I suspect it just came apart,crap design and the recess just is not deep enough. spoke to the dealer I brought it from he said I could buy another one the bloody thing is only 3 months old its not like it costs a tenner it was £145 surely there must be warranty or something on a new product when you buy it.Anyway he gave me triumphs direct number 4 calls three messages and still no reply from so called customer service ,pissed off a bit I want to get this sorted.AND RELAX