675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Slow Drivers

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by henrymc, Nov 29, 2009.

1. henrymc

henrymc

A big gripe with me is people who drive on a single carageway road at 40mph when the speed limit is 60mph. If they can not keep up to the speed limit they should not be on the road.
    If anyone drives like that during their test they fail it, so why should it not be illegal?
    They cause queue's of traffic, then you get somebody who gets impatient and takes a chance to pass the queue and has a accident.
    its the person who takes the chance who is called reckless and blamed for the accident not the a**wipe who was holding up the traffic.
    I have seen cop's following some idiot travelling at 40mph on a 60mph stretch of road and they have done nothing about them, but if you or I passed both the law and the raspberry ripple in this situation we would get a tug from the law.
    Also what rocket scientist came up with the idea that lorry's should be restricted to 50mph on a road while the car limit is 60mph, These guys should be made drive on the A17 Newark to Kings Lynne every morning and evening for a month, you can get a convoy of anything up to ten Lorry's on this road and you are trying to get past, can be crazy on a bike never mind a car,
    its mainly single carrageway with long straights but has chevrons in the middle of the road in lots of places plus its a very busy road, its one of the most dangerous roads in the country because of all this. Truly scary on a wet, dark night or morning.

2. andysjt

andysjt

um ....i know what you mean ,an old old bloke gave me a lift once to the garage to collect my car , i have never seen anyone drive so slow , when some cars overtook him he said " no need for it ,do you know i have been driving for 50 years and never had an accident " .... I thought i bet you seen plenty of them though ?
    he was 81 and had probably forgot about any accidents he may or may not have had
    god rest his soul it was nice of him to give me a lift anyway

3. D41

D41

...Very difficult for him too, I reckon!! :lol:

The speed limit is exactly that, the "limit". It's the max legal speed for all drivers day & night regardless of weather conditions, volume of traffic etc. - It's NOT the required "minimum", as many of us (myself included, to some extent) tend to believe. HGVs are further restricted as they are much heavier & more difficult to operate than a car, making emergency braking, accident avoidance, etc. that much trickier.
    Drivers who succumb to frustration & take risks when following a slower driver are TOTALLY responsible for the consequences of their own actions...I mean, what possible argument can they have - "He 'made' me do it!"???

4. very true D41, but then, none of us are angels are we...... we like bikes cos we like speed...simple as that. But yes we should not delude ourselves and we should accept responsibility for our own actions.

5. henrymc

henrymc

Yes I would agree that we should accept responsability for our actions, with the same token then the twat's who can not drive in relation to the speed limit and cause traffic tailbacks should be held responsible for their actions also don't you think? As I have said before when someone does their driving test they will be failed if they can not drive at a speed in relation to the speed limit. So why if they are not compatent at driving should they be aloud to dictate the flow of traffic?
    When I hear in the news about someone who has a accident and the reporter says that they lost control of their vehicle, that to me just mean's that they could not drive it properly.( As a young lad I had more than my share of car crashes, upside down and through the windscreen also more than once,)
    Last time I was in New Zealand I happened to mention to a local in a pub one night that there seemed to be a lack of Armco or other barriers on some of the roads we had travelled, his response was that why should money be spent keeping people from killing them selves if they were not able to drive on the roads, valid point I think, or is that not being responsible for your own actions? same can be said for some twat who pulls out in front of a Motorbike and says that he did not see the bike should they not be responsible for their actions also? we live in a culture where people have no awareness of the danger they put themselves and especially other people in because they thing everyone else should look out for them, bloody Lemmings. There are a lot of people who should be nominated for the Darwin Awards.

6. do you feel better for that henry :lol:
    totally agree though bud

7. D41

D41

OK - So we went from "slow drivers" to "some twat who pulls out in front of a motorbike" real quick!!...I'm not gonna debate this, Henry - 'cos you're right! - each & every driver out there should be driving at EXACTLY the speed you deem appropriate whenever you come across them, no excuses whatsoever!!LOL!

8. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I've decided to fit a fog horn, flashing blue lights and a huge spike to the front of my car. I recommend you all do the same!!! lol

...oh if only

9. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

I got to agree with Henry on this, I travel as part of my job, and quite often on single carriageway roads as well.
    The whole argument about minimum speed actually boils down to a lack of consideration on the part of both parties.
    Opinion 1, We as bikers are way more able to accelerate and maintain speed than selfish truckers who end up in a "convoy", or dozy old farts going to the garden centre, and they have no empathy with our need and wont to go faster than them. A**holes.
    Opinion 2, Bikers have no regard to any other road users except themselves, they just come screaming past you as close as they can, sometimes less than 100 yds before a corner. They have no understanding of us 4+ wheel drivers just going to the shops or delivering 20 tonnes of sugar beet. A**holes.

Two extremes I know, personally I sympathise with opinion 1 more. But,I have driven heavy vehicles in the past - so don't flame me on that, I do know what it's like. If anyone needs flaming it's our Government for not sorting out the road system despite decades of lost opportunities.

Anyway it's my road, so get the Feck off it!!

10. D41

D41

Well now, - that's about the stupidest thing I have ever read, anywhere - many congrats to you, Deegee, on your totally myopic & pedantic viewpoints - you are truly 'visionary' in you're beliefs!!!!

11. Deegee

Thanks for that D41..

What I was trying to point out were 2 extremely distorted & polarised views. However you appear to have taken my "sympathising" with that particular view, as totally agreeing with it.

We can accelerate faster, and because of our vulnerability normally have greater focus on the road & conditions. We do not necessarily ride badly - I certainly try very hard not to. Our UK public image is poor enough without any more 2 wheeled "streetracer" d*ckheads helping to bury us in Whitehall. I am a 3rd generation biker, and I hope my 6yr old can have the chance on 2 wheels if he so wishes.

However, the fact remains that we have 1 road system between us all, and some people wish to travel at 30mph on 60mph roads and hold everyone else up - this was Henry's original point. A Lack of Social Responsibility and Consideration.

Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. That goes both ways D41- 2 wheels and 4.

12. henrymc

henrymc

Now why could I not put it as well as you Deegee, :wave: :wave: :wave:

13. D41

D41

Dude!! - Are you serious???

We, as bikers, love to ride fast, ignore speed limits when we can, push ourselves & our machines to the limits, etc. - I don't truly believe that that gives us a 'God-given-right' to dictate how others drive and/or ride..as you so rightly stated "we have 1 road system between us all" - learn to share it, dude!

14. Rowly

Rowly

Here we go again ding ding!!! not getting involved in this one? D41's got his boxing gloves on again :lol:

15. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

The french have got it right in my opinion. I've ridden in France a few times now and they're attitude towards bikes on the roads is remarkable. The drivers there appreciate that they are not as fast or agile as a bike and I very rarely came up behind a car/bus/truck/lorry that did not pull as far over as possible to allow me and other bikes to pass.

But its not just the French attitude towards bikes, it's their whole attitude towards the road system in general. The way that motorists will pull back into the slow lane on the motorways after passing a vehicle to leave the outside lane free I admire. Whereas the ammount of muppets you see in this country trundling along in the middle or outside lane for no reason at 60mph. Just get over and out of the way!! There is no mutual consciousness on our roads and hence if you are considerate, you will be taken advantage of.

It seems in England, you join in the chaos and play the game like everyone else or if you are considerate you get pushed to the side and trodden over!

Solution: Lets move to another country!!! :D

16. Spot on observations Justin. Its just picking the right country to go to.

17. D41

D41

Not at all...reading my posts again I think I may have been a little heavy-handed - no offense intended towards anyone...just stating my stand on the subject is all.

18. Rowly

Rowly

Never any offense taken D41 I like a man who sticks to his principles, I always try to see the humorous side to life cause its to dam short to worry, everyone has a different opinion about most topics and that is what make for interesting debate and for everyone to agree would surely be most boring so feel free to express yourself, whenever it pleases you, I for one find it very entertaining, so I shall say it again, that is why this forum is the best by far, its the characters on here that makes the site worth been apart of. :cheers:

19. Deegee

Just seen the last two posts so please take this in that context guys. ;)

Am I the new guy that walked into something here?? ;) O.K I'll play then, as long as no-one gets real personal.

Yeah D41 I am serious, I love speed, especially the corner variety (hence the 675's), but not inappropriate speed. Buzzing cars at heavily illegal speeds for example - that kind of thing I don't do now.
    I have watched increasing legislation in the UK every time biking gets a surge of popularity over the last 35 yrs, and I try hard to not be part of the problem. I take it to the track, and I leave it there. If biking has a future here that's how it's got to be, slow gradual lobbying behind the scenes and don't p*ss off the voters constantly so the politicians have an easy target. Hard to swallow but true in my opinion.

All I ask is the consideration I give others is returned to me, hence if you want to do 30 in a 60, just pull over a bit and let me through and I'll acknowledge that with a thank you. I do it for other 2 & 4 wheeled road users as a matter of course, and I've travelled in excess of 45k miles per annum for 20 yrs.
    I'm happy to share, as long as people try to make the effort. If not... well as Justin put it, prepare to get trodden on - or abused.

FWIW Justin, I think the attitude in France is great as well, :D but I wonder if the fact that a moped is part of adolescence is part of the cause of that? A large proportion of 14-15 yr olds have a moped, and so develop a greater empathy toward 2 wheels and road sense generally? Just a thought.

P.S Thanks Henry ! ;) and sorry for the threadjack.

20. D41

D41

Fair point, & I can't disagree with the principle....in practice however, I tend to take the opposite view - always expected the unexpected, and view every other driver out there as an idiot...all too often I'm proven right!