675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Starter switch doesn't work?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Matt A, May 4, 2019.

1. Matt A

Matt A

Hi all, Have a problem in that everything primes as it should do, but I get absolutely nothing when pulling in the clutch and hitting the starter button.

I have had the side fairings off over the last few days to give the bike a clean, and before that the starter button sometimes needed and wiggle to work, but since putting the fairings back on I get nothing from the starter no matter how much I twist and shake it, and I've also wriggled the clutch switch at the lever.

Any ideas??

Many thanks

2. StephenP

StephenP

Side stand switch? That or its a loose wire somewhere.

3. Matt A

Matt A

I'll check the side stand, but have wiggled everything connected to the switch and clutch...gonna have to take the housing apart I think and have a look in there maybe..

4. StMarks

StMarks PTG

If the battery is not flat, the most frequent culprit is that safety circuit.
    It's not unknown for the bike to simply not be in neutral, without the owner realising, to have that effect. ( Just DON'T ask how I would know that.! :oopsoops: )

5. Matt A

Matt A

I literally this second just fixed it. I've had the fairings off, following cables here and there trying to wiggle and move things. Check fried wires, you know what fixed it....couple of turns on the clutch cable adjuster to tighten it up.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. ste m

ste m

ive a similar issue, ive found that if i move my clutch n and out slightly then it will start, wonder if it just needs tightening up like you've done?

7. Do you have adjustable clutch lever? Sometimes it thinks that the clutch hasn't been pulled, and that's why it won't start. If so, just adjust it to it's highest setting and try

8. ste m

ste m

I think i may but last time I tried to adjust it it played hell with my clutch

9. I don't mean adjust the clutch, I mean do you have levers that you can change the settings on by way of a small switch normally1-6

10. ste m

ste m

no i don't sorry, ive got asv levers on mine

11. PyroUK

PyroUK

Aren’t ASV levers adjustable?

[​IMG]

12. ste m

ste m

yes sorry haha i was thinking of something totally different, you're right, adjusted them and its sorted ,thanks

13. Glad you got it sorted, happened to me too