675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Stator hot

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Bradderz, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Bradderz

Bradderz

Need some help please

The three wires from the stator to the r/r are getting to hot, I know they are meant to get some heat through them but not burn your fingers heat. I’ve changed the stator and the r/r mosfet I’ve also put new wire between them still the same. Cut the plugs off and soldered the wires together and still the same, I was also told to connect the wires coming from the r/r straight to the battery and guess what yep no change.. the last time I was out on the bike I was having a bit of an issue with the ignition as when I turned the bike on and pressed the start button there was nothing happening but when I turned the ignition on and off a couple of times it would turn and fire up... help please ( oh Daytona 675 09) or if anyone knows any good bike geniuses near Wigan

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Suggests to me that you may have a good basic understanding, as loose connectors are a frequent offender.
    Imho that would have me concerned about an excessive load on the circuit.: A short somewhere (perhaps the rectifier itself) or one of the main stator supply circuit cables leaking to earth.?

3. Bradderz

Bradderz

The stator and reg are both new. When the stator burned out I decided to change them both to be sure that I had cured the problem, but the problem with the starting is a new problem so I’m wondering if it’s all connected, I can’t seem to find any short at all,

4. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Whilst I'm not suggesting you will have done so, there have been instances where stators have been replaced but the cables poorly routed. This has resulted in the rotor cutting through the insulation of the new cables & shorting out the new stator & generating circuit.

I don't suppose it could be as simple as a knackered battery.? - Insufficient CCA for starting, constant demand from the charging circuit & therefore hot cables etc..?

5. Bradderz

Bradderz

Forgot to say the battery was new to... I’ll take the stator cover off again and check to see if there is any problem with the wiring on the stator

6. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Hope that turns out to be a waste of time.

The fact that this ^ intermittent fault occurred is concerning, isn't it.
    IMO intermittent faults are often the most difficult to identify, as by their very nature they may not be active when you are testing the affected component/circuitry.
    Do you have the Alarm system on your bike, or just the bypass plug.?