675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Street Triple Starting Issues Clocks go blank

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Ryan Rawlings, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Ryan Rawlings

Ryan Rawlings

Hi all

Not my Daytona but my Dad's 2009 Street Trip.

A few times now he has mentioned that the bike has a starting issue. Put the key in turn on and the sweep happens but won't start. Turn off, back on and normally starts fine. He has noticed as well that the clock and trip etc have all gone to zero. Before I start looking at clutch switch and clock plug etc has anyone had the same happen and can give me a clue where the fault was?

I'm going to have a look at it mid week for him.

Thanks in advance.

2. StephenP

StephenP

Check the battery terminals. Hopefully it'll be something simple.

3. Paul Foster 365

Paul Foster 365

I have similar issue with the starting bit not the clock, I/m looking at Reg Rec problem, but really only guessing. let me know if you find out the problem.

Cheers

4. Ryan Rawlings

Ryan Rawlings

My dads bike had the reg rec recall done by triumph so didn't think that would be the issue. The issue hopefully is fixed the terminals on the starter relay where very green so cleaned them all and the battery terminals. So far so good.

5. I'm going to say dead cell on the battery, i would test it, and then when u start the bike with the voltage tester on, see if the voltage just drops straight off and then comes back after.

In terms of then starting the second time, well it could be that because the fuel rail is then primed it just about gets lucky.

Personally I would be checking with a different battery, then check earth points on the frame and then go from there