675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

The Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TripleJimmy, Jan 25, 2012.

1. TripleJimmy

TripleJimmy

Moderator Staff Member

Wow what great feedback and I am sure that this will come in handy for loads of people. With this in mind I have changed this to a "sticky" so that this great information is not lost.

This thread should be used for or by anyone looking to get some tips on training and diet ready for a race season or whatever it maybe.

Please continue to post up questions / suggestions and links to training and diet plans or anything that you might feel is usefull. Its been a great start, thanks everyone.

So i have been going to the gym for about the last 7months after quite a long period off due to various things like new job, new house the normal distractions. I am getting close to my target weight (16st when I started now 13st 10lbs target 13st) and while i have been combining cardio with resistance training up to this point i want to start slowing down on the cardio and biulding more of the resistance. Now i am not interested in being the next hulk hogan or anything like that, I know what i want, i just want to know i am getting the best out of what i am doing.

My gym instructor has said that i should now start to think about increasing the amount of protein i take in and he suggested shakes after each work out. This is where my question comes in....do they really work? I always thought that they were a gimmick for people to waste there money on and hard work would just achieve the same result.

To be honest i am not sure how i feel about drinking something with an ingredients list as long as my arm on it, i'd much rather do it with diet if possible.

So what do you think? Any tips?

2. Re: The Gym

I'll help you out dude got loads of advice and information for you long post coming right up....

3. Wyrm

Wyrm

Re: The Gym

I've never been to a gym and am now about 10.5 stone from 9 stone.
    Is this normal and what should my target weight be?

4. Re: The Gym

Ok so first off congratulations on all the effort you have put in so far dude you're doing really well.

It is true an awesome physique is 70% diet 30% training so for the diet side of things you can easily build a top notch physique by following the simple steps below -

1.) Have a banana or orange prior to your workout they are quick release energy helping you to have that little bit extra during your workout you could of course leverage this with something like No Explode which is a powdered drink designed to boost your energy and trust me it really does work. Also Lucosade sport is very good during workouts I find too.

2.) Post workout make sure you get a good quality protein shake in you something like Maximuscle or LA Muscle whey protein is good you want to make sure that it is low in carbs. Because some protein mixes are called mass builders and these are loaded with carbs you want to avoid these you want pure whey protein if you can as that has zero carbs. Also try having an energy recovery drink there are various brands that offer these effectively you want something loaded with glucose as it will stop the lactosis in your muscles and effectively stop you aching so much the next day. There is a tablet product called no ache that can also do this for you but I find the drinks are better.

3.) Outside of the gym just try to regulate your diet accordingly so try to eat at least 1g of protein per kilo of body weight per day so for you that would be around 90g if you want to bulk up then it would be 5g of protein per kilo of bodyweight per day. You need to remember that cutting out all fatty foods is not necessarily a good thing as the body does need essential fatty oils and get yourself plenty of milkthistle and joint care from Holland and Barrett trust me when you start lifting bigger weights you'll need the joint care to look after you. Try to eat little and often this will bring your motabolism under control completely and then you can control it rather than it controlling you which is what happens for most people. Stay away from heavy alcoholic drinks on a regular basis like guiness as whilst it is loaded with Iron it is also one of the biggest calorific intakes you can have in one sitting. The trick to watching what you eat is look at the saturated fat content of products that is how much fat is going to be stored by your body from that product and fat storage is always going to be essential for the body.

Your muscles need protein after every work out otherwise they will eat themselves in order to recover and that means all of your hardwork down the gym will have been for nothing. Always make sure that you give you body what it needs so foods like fish are great because you get the best of both worlds high in protein but also in essential fats and oils. Likewise certain types of nuts are also high in protein and essential fats and oils but watch the fat content on them I'm talking proper organic nuts not a packet of KP down the boozer.

Remember no heavy carbs after 7pm so bread, pasta, rice etc goes out the window after that time as your body simply won't burn it off and you'll be left with excess fat as a result. It's the exact opposite to your finances in a way you always wanted the same if not more calories going out than what you have coming in. If you want to structure your diet even more you can just decrease your calorific intake on a weekly basis so for example RDA for men is 2500 calories per day so week one stick at 2500 per day, then week two drop it to 2000 calories per day, week three 1750 calories per day and week four 1500 calories per day then slowly ramp it back up again week 5 1750 calories per day, week 6 2000 calories per day and week 7 2500 calories per day. Never drop below 1500 calories per day this is extremely dangerous and leads to malnutrition and if your Mrs is training too then it's no less than 1000 calories per day for her. I've heard of the fad diets that drop people down to 500 calories per day and the weight does fall off because the body starts eating it's own fat to survive but as soon as that person finishes the diet the weight piles straight back on again because you've shocked the body that much it goes into storage mode because it doesn't know when it's going to get fed again so immediately starts storing fat in order to sustain itself should somebody go on another fad diet. That's why it is important to regulate it with gentle steps slowly down and then slowly back up again this brings the metabolism into control and actually speeds it up without shocking the body into fat storage.

Hope that helps in a way dude and if you need stuff in further detail let me know and I'll drop you a more detailed PM.

5. StMarks

StMarks PTG

:p You're 5'6" right Wyrm ?? ;)

6. Re: The Gym

GMF - I'd say the amount of protein you suggest should be doubled tbh mate.
    I'd say roughly 2g of protein per KG of body weight. But I can't fault any of your other suggestions man ;)

As for the protein, I think Maxi Muscle is hugely over priced for what it is. I've been using MyProtein for the past 3 years & can't really fault it. The best product that is close to what you recommend is True Whey linky . They also do a Omega 3-6-9 tab which I personally take over the normal just Omega 3. But I dare say H&B will sell something similar.

Sleep is something that's massively over looked when people train. You need at least 8 hours decent kip for your body to repair itself.

Depending on whether you're looking for strength gains, hypertrophy (prodominately looks) or endurance then you have to alter your training accordingly. I'd suggest getting on the weights now. I'm not saying go massively heavy or anything, but you'll burn more cals doing weights & also your body shape will change for the better. You'll be leaner as prolonged CV can cause muscles to be broken down for energy as it's easier for you body to break that down than body fat.

HTHs

7. Re: The Gym

Yeah forgot the sleep part damn! :lol:

You definitely need some sort of essential oils as they do also combat fat.

I did point out that if you're bulking muscle then you need to increase your protein intake like when I am bulking I'm taking in around 5k-6k worth of calories per day but protein in itself is important that you don't overdose on it as your body will simply sh*t it back out again and you'll get real bad farts too.

Also look at an amino acid supplement as well.

NOTE - Steer well clear of any of the proteins in H&B they are crap at best I've always used either LA Muscle or Maximuscle to be honest I find LA Muscle better I had better gains from their platinum powder.

Remember though you need natural proteins too so white meat, red meat, fish etc will all add to the mix. Should all be fine you just need to make sure that you know in your mind what you're doing there is plenty of information on here and I've used lots of their workout plans myself to help boost my training -

http://www.bodybuilding.com/

Also take a look at Arnie's encyclopaedia of Body Building it gives you everything tells you all about peoples natural skeletal structure as there are three different types of skeletons and determining which type you are will help you figure out where you are likely to gain muscle.

If you want toning then I would recommend light weight and minimum of 12-15 reps per set sometimes 15-20 reps works better and look at pyramid training too also reverse pyramid training is also a lot of fun.

One final thing remember to stretch! It is essential for pre and post work out plus if you take a yoga class once a week it will really help bring on your toning. All of the top body builders do it even Arnie himself did back in the day!

8. Re: The Gym

Don't rely on the shakes too much though. Protein from proper food will be better, but the shakes are good for when you want some in you right away (after your session). I used to down a small pot of low fat cottage cheese at bed time which I think helped (as i am/was an evening gym person).

a few years ago I did some research because I wasn't getting stronger, and after I started eating well (bit of force feeding to start with :? ) I got, i'd guess, about 40% stronger in the space of 3 weeks, and made some moderate gains in terms of muscle mass in the longer term.

ABout a year ago I got unwell for a short time and lost lots of weight (about a stone + half), which included some fat, and because I looked good for it I wen't on a bit if an extreme diet, instead of burning it off, and got skinny but lost all of the muscle I'd gained previously (not that it was much) at the same time.

I'm trying to motivate myself to get back into it but I barely get 6 hours sleep a night as it is, and like GMF said that makes a massive difference.

9. TripleJimmy

TripleJimmy

Moderator Staff Member

Thanks dudes thats helpfull. So you would say a protein shake is worth it then. Have you got recommendations on the exact one to buy and where from?

I have cut out all snacking really... the by product of working from home is that the fridge is all to close, thats been the biggest change as we both eat quite well anyway. I can't change my diet to dramatically as the misuss isn't interested and TBH she doesn't need too and i don't want to start cooking 2 meals as thats just going to be a pain in the arse.

I will pick up some nuts, and use those as a snack if i feel hungry between meals. If i get a chance i will post up my work out so you can have a look.

There will be your "ideal" weight which your doctor or someone would tell you but, all i can say is it's what ever your happy at mate and thats all that matters. I got to 16st and i could feel the weight on me, i am not a small person anyway but i knew it was time to do something. 13st was just a weight i had in my head that i wanted to be, someone might say that i "should" be 12st but, that wouldn't be right for my build.

10. Re: The Gym

If you're working from home then you've got it made! Just work out your meal plans, 6 a day. It works better and you'll feel like you do nothing but eat. The fridge is mostly tempting when there are 6 or so hour gaps between meals.

I could only manage it for about 6 months, because I get distracted too easily, which is why i'll always be weedy :D

11. Wyrm

Wyrm

No, 5'11". :?

12. Re: The Gym

So Gank, and SpaceMonkey, can you bulk up without putting on fat at the same time? I'm not particularly interested in getting ripped as such, but when i get too skinny (or fat) it feels uncomfortable like ill fitting clothes.

13. Re: The Gym

It's difficult... it depends on your genetics and your diet but with muscle gain there will always be some fat gain as well.

14. Re: The Gym

TJ check out SiS Build for before and after resistance training and SiS Rego for recovery. A lot of riders, cyclists, rugby players use the SiS stuff and its pretty epic. Much better than a lot of other stuff i used in the past.

I am doing the RPT program which Camier, Crutchlow, Davies, Ellsion etc all use. It's 60 days but you'll see a massive difference. I just replace all the cycling with running.

Like the Gank i used to be ripped, then i got lazy after pretty much 3 solid years at the gym and running 5-10 miles nearly every day. I'm back on it now but not to such an extent. When i was fighting fit i was about 11.5 stone went to 13.5 after literally 18months of no training. Been going properly for about a month and down to 12.5.

Triplex i bulked up quick with weights a few years back but never really started getting lean until i started properly running. I shed loads of fat in about 3 weeks running every week night anywhere between 5 and 12 miles.

PM if you want to see this program.

15. Re: The Gym

Jimmy - I popped a link in my original post for protein mate. I've tried nearly all the flavours, some are better than others, but all are nice. I tend to stick to milk choc as you can always add fruit or other flavours to it.

You can, but it's difficult.
    I find the best way is to keep rest periods to 60 seconds between sets & as go between exercises as quickly as possible. It'll work you body a bit like a HIIT session, but you're still working the muscles enough to make them grow.

Another thing I'd say is ignore the scales. Go by the mirror & how your clothes fit. I went to the doctor & he told me I was obese. When I told him I was training 4 times a week & offered to take my top off to show him, I got...."Well our BMI charts are just a guide". Yeah go away!

16. Re: The Gym

Oh yeah and what Gank says about Pyramid training if its what i think its really really good.

I super set two exercises back to back with no rests start at 8 reps, then 7, then 6 all the way to 0

90 seconds break superset another two back to back

continue til failure

best nutrition stuff i've ever used by a mile

http://www.scienceinsport.com/

17. StMarks

StMarks PTG

:lol: :lol: Sorry mate, just messing. :oops:
    Unlike GMF and the guys I can't actually help, as I have absolutely no knowledge in this area whatsoever.
    However I'm 5'11" as well. When I was at my fittest I usually weighed in at around 13 stone. After that, like Triplex, I lost a fair bit (to below 9 stone).
    I’m now healthier, but not fit, and tip the scales at about 11ish. Those stupid airport speak your weight machines tell me I'm currently at my optimum. Go figure :?

18. Re: The Gym

I'd be interested to have a nose if you don't mind too much mate? ;)

19. Wyrm

Wyrm

:duh:
    I want to be light enough to get the best accelleration but heavy enough to keep it on the ground... :?

20. ddgal

ddgal

Completely off-topic, this thread could come in handy for the line up, GMF!!! ;) :D :p