675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Thermostat removal\leave in

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Zx128k, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Zx128k

Zx128k

Hey all.so I ended up replacing my engine after head gasket failure.dodgy looking rings and it seems the liner on cyl 3 was put in the wrong way round.

I've read a little on getting rid of the thermostat to see if it will run a little cooler and wonder if anyone has first hand experience with this?

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Fwiw I can't see how the thermostat removal would improve any cooling issue, as it only really effects flow whilst the coolant temp' is lower than optimum. It does not actually effect the overall cooling effect of the system whatsoever.
    What issue (with the cooling) are you experiencing.?

3. Zx128k

Zx128k

There's not really a issue.probably more paranoia more than anything.the new..well new to me engine with 14000 miles on is running nice.ive not test ridden it yet but stationary with engine running the temperature climbs nicely but it goes up to 5 or 6 bars then I shut it off..all seems well..I'm probably being paranoid..

What temp bars does yours display when stationary with engine running?

The old engine used to climb high and straight to can running and the exhaust silencers were scalding hot..new engine is nothing like the old one..just worried I think.

4. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Fwiw during hot weather, & when static in traffic or waiting in the pit lane, my temp gauge can reach the top bar. It soon drops again when I get going.
    :idea: If you want to alleviate any concerns about your cooling system, how about considering investing in waterless coolant.?

5. In the mix

In the mix

As StMarks said above or a large capacity radiator, and one of your liners was in the wrong way around?? They are not directional, and can be fitted with the gilardoni writing at the front or the back it makes no difference.

6. Zx128k

Zx128k

Yes think I might look into that if the thing behaves.so far it's been the most unreliable bike I bought so far but I like it.

The liners in mine had on the sides of liners where they sit side by side a flat one side and a tab on the other.to space them I assume.i had one liners tab facing the other which caused incorrect spacing between that two..also wasn't sitting correctly.

Tested bike again and runs up to 5 bars when stationary.hovers there for a wee while till 6 so happy with that for now.

Again I think I'm being paranoid after the last engine shit itself

7. Zx128k

Zx128k

Oh and forgot to say.with the last engine I had the last run I did I got 64 miles to a tank.

8. If you’ve got a replacement engine I wouldn’t worry about the head gasket, probably just paranoia
    Flush the radiator properly as it will be full of oil, or replace it and it will be fine

Removing the thermostat will circulate water around the whole cooling system meaning it will take longer to warm up, and have no effect to running hotter or cooler unless it’s seized shut

9. Forgot to ask if it was water in the oil or oil in the water lol
    But yeah flush the rad anyway, and have you got any pics of the engine

10. Zx128k

Zx128k

Hi.the sump was completely full of coolant.just running the engine for 5 mins and it had emptied the expansion tank.

I put the thermostat into hot water and it opened around 80degrees.so that seems ok.

Yes I flushed the cooling system out and even poked out all the crap from the matrix..she definitely seems to be running and behaving different to the old engine..in a good way..once at 5 bars it's not shooting up to 6 or 7 straight away..

Hopelly it's paranoia.

I can get a pic of it.this one has triumph stamped on the clutch and generator casings but my old did not.my bike is a 59 plate so is that a newer engine?

11. Yes that’s a 2011-13 675R engine
    Take a pic as it may even be a the 2013-16 engine which would be even better news for you

12. Zx128k

Zx128k

Ok I'll get onto that tomorrow.thats good news then..I'll get a pic tomorrow when I get off these crappy late shifts

13. Zx128k

Zx128k

14. Zx128k

Zx128k

So the lights not great for a pic but test ridden today 10 miles..never above 5 bars apart from the end of run sitting idling on driveway.happy with that.just a ton of salt to wash off now

15. Zx128k

Zx128k