675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Traction control and new tyres

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by Red675, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Red675

Red675

Quick question, without going daft, should traction control help you with any possible slides/high sides if you get new boots fitted to your bike (road use)?

2. kwacky

kwacky

Yes.

Most modern tyres are pretty good from the off. They air blast them out of the moulds so the old days or worrying about release agent are gone.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Red675

Red675

Has that happened in the last 12 months kwacky? I only ask as that was the cause of my high side last October!

4. W_esty

W_esty

Yeah it should do, although it's only a safety net not a proof you looney!

However as Kwacky says tyres now are pretty good... As I forgot on the S1000 and took a lovey left hander on about 3 miles

Saying that I know a guy who dropped a Daytona at a junction on cold brand new supercorsa's in the dry!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Red675

Red675

i got new rubber fitted on my 675 last october, had a massive brain fart and forgot about 5 miles down the road, went to nip in front of someone on a roundabout down the road and ended up with a broken wrist and a written off motorbike :lol:

first time ive had new boots fitted in the warm weather on the 899 this morning and it felt completely different riding in today though, assumed it was the TC, thanks for the confirmation :thumbup:

6. kwacky

kwacky

Depends on the manufacturer and the date the tyres were made. I was told about 3 years ago Metzeler certainly use air. I've never scrubbed in a set of M7rr tyres.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. New tyres still feel really 'light' for the first 50+ miles, my sportsmarts did on my 899, the TC isn't even a consideration as it's not doing anything unless the light flickers, however if u have it set on 1-2 you will be on your arse if you aren't careful.

For the normal positions of around 5-7 out of 8 (8 being highest) it will catch most stuff at the rear.

• Like Like x 1
  8. -G-

-G-

Not had any new tyre that needs more than a mile to have confidence in - haven't bought new tyres for a while, doubt they've got worse!

However, I have always gone for progressively more lean - not suddenly going from nothing to full lean.

Had new tyres at Lydden hill on a race weekend and done one single 1 mile lap followed by full race pace - fine. (Oh and mid way through the race I worked out I never let the pressures down from the tyre bloke - 50psi or so and still managed a 4th place in clubman minitwins :). )

A friend had new tyres on his 400 and was worried about crashing. He rode it a couple of miles, mostly upright to a business park where I met him.
    I went round a roundabout progressively faster and faster until I was at the edge of the tyre on the right.
    Then did some lefts going off the same roundabout. Fine again.

• Like Like x 1