675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Traffic officers want respect and then act like this!!!

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Bigmac, May 4, 2014.

1. StMarks

StMarks PTG

I have to admit my impression of them is largely based on the same sort of observations as you mate.

Let's just hope we're misguided. ;)

2. D41

D41

Yeah, but then you're getting into deeper and more intrinsic matters of law enforcement when you make a statement like that....would the roads be safer if they took their hands out of their pockets and stopped chatting??

In your example, what else would you like them to do?? A car has a flat tyre and they block traffic in order to prevent a possible 701 or 702 (RTA).
    It's not their fault the problem occurred??
    People always end up blaming law-enforcement for the actions of others.

3. It's when they make no effort to sort the situation other than block the road for hours that is my issue with them. They'll happily leave a car with nothing more than an engine failure in the middle 2 of 4 lanes rather than bother their arses to push it to the side of the road and restore normal traffic flow or, in your example, help change the tyre instead of having the car towed. After all, they might hurt their backs or get their shiny yellow jackets dirty doing the manual labour side of the job. Better to have traffic queuing for miles so that the tow truck they send for can't get anywhere near the incident, especially when all the old bangers stuck in the line overheat and the problem is compounded - or people get out and wander around the cars in an effort to lemming themselves and make a bad situation worse. The Highways Agency is just a dumping ground for people with traffic cone and warm lunchbox fetishes. And the second one isn't limited to their limp lettuce and ham sandwiches. And yes, that's below the belt but I've sat in the 10 mile tailback the HA have caused by employing at least 2 incompetent titmunches and called them worse than that, but nowhere near as bad as they deserved, so I don't feel bad. I'm sure someone will be along to tell me they're not all bad and some of them do a great underappreciated job - but that won't give me back the 8 hours I once wasted on a detour from the A1 that brought me back to the A1 exactly 10 miles from where I left it despite covering about 100 miles of countryside. I think I was in Wales at one point that trip. And as for the f***in lollipop ladies..... What was the question again?

4. cpszx

cpszx

when the car is on the hard shoulder, but they cone off 2 of the 3 lanes of a motorway "just in case", and apparently are not able to help the driver change the wheel?
    seen exactly this happen and specifically asked why they were not helping to change the wheel for an old lady.

not blaming anyone specifically, they are probably following guidelines, which are usually way OTT in respect of any H&S issues

these are the real life impressions i get when i see the majority of the "incidents" they are marshalling, with only a very few actually having had the appropriate level of response

i respect the job they do, but there is too much PC and H&S rubbish around now that gives people an excuse not to apply comon sense to a situation.
    although if they did, i am sure they would almost certainly face a disciplinary or risk being sued if someone took exception to them showing some unscheduled or unprescripted initiative

5. StMarks

StMarks PTG

F'ing "Elfin Safety".!! :evil:
    Don't get me started on that one...... The chosen route the meek seek to render us impotent.

6. D41

D41

I get what both of you are saying, and to a large extent I agree. But you have to realize that these people are restricted in their job duties and could face disciplinary action if they stray beyond those boundaries.
    No-one ever complains that an ambulance driver doesn't push a car to the side of the road, so why blame the police??
    Because it's easy, and they're a target...it's as simple as that. People blame the police because most interactions they have with them end up with a negative outcome for themselves, that alone tends to skew their perceptions of what is actually a very difficult job, performed by average men & women making an average wage in a high-risk position.

So you don't like the way they placed the traffic cones.....so what??

Are you going to jump into a bar-fight and break it up??
    Are you going to fight the crowds at a soccer game when the crowd goes berserk??
    Are you going to want to visit some lady and tell her that her husband has just died??

The UK has one of the very best polices force in the world...they may not be perfect, but nothing ever is....every time they put that uniform on, they know that they might not come home....try telling that to your kids when you're off to work a picket line.

I'm not slating anyone, just saying that the police need our support, not our derision.

7. Just to put my cards on the table Daz - i was a police officer for a while. So the answer to all your questions is yes, just like your dad did. In fact, it was in the same force (not at the same time). And I'm not slating the police in the above, or suggesting that Ambulance drivers should be subverted from their life-saving and/or emergency duties to perform menial tasks. I'm saying that the people charged with clearing our highways and ensuring traffic flow as a complementary service to the police should, i'm criticising specific actions taken by the HA that got my goat because I've been in similar situations and it's really not that much effort to apply common sense to resolve a situation like that - and many of their colleagues would do just that, but the well managed incidents can only be judged by how many people aren;t inconvenienced and don't even realise something happened. I'm definitely not getting into a debate on whether the police are good, bad, ugly or whatever with anyone, I have my own views based on experiences on both sides of the uniform but not the inclination to share them but agree that you're right in that the police do need our support, particularly because, as someone said, it's (largely) consensual policing in this country, but I'm sure you'd agree that such support wouldn't extend to tolerance or blind acceptance of incompetence, inappropriateness or corruption (in the instances it's genuine fault - not the sensationalised press-magnified flim flam and spin).

8. Frogcake

Frogcake Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure why people would assume highways officers are trying to perform their duties at anything less than the best of their abilities. When you are working do you try to do the best job you can? I assume you do. I know I do. Why would you think there is something specific about their job that makes them lazy and incompetent? I'm sure they have training in how best to manage traffic situations on our highways. Why would I think I should know better than them? Perhaps they seem to be blocking off more lanes than I think is strictly necessary; without any hard evidence to the contrary I'm going to assume that they know what they are doing.

I just don't understand the attitude where certain people/jobs are branded as clueless idiots who like nothing better than to do a shit job at work and inconvenience as many people as they can. :erm:

9. cpszx

cpszx

its our national pastime :lol:

10. StMarks

StMarks PTG

:lol: I take it you've not met Frogcake yet cpszx.?

11. cpszx

cpszx

haha, yes i have met a couple of times now, hence the comment, as he may not have actually realised this about us yet :)

12. Red675

Red675

13. Red675

Red675

no pattern emerging whatsoever, no sireee..

14. D41

D41

Good post!!

Yeah....Charlie-Golf and most of the other divisions have been whittled down to a shadow of what they used to be....I still have many-a-happy-memory of Aykley Heads though....I practically lived in police stations as a kid...in fact at one point I did (Hartlepool)....different methodology to policing back then...much more of a military-style structure than what exists today.

15. They have at least stopped him from resigning so he will have to face the disciplinary hearing and the facts of the matter will be openly disclosed.

It's a shame they accepted his resignation in the first place because they have now had to back track in the face of the outcry. This just fuels the conspiracy theories.

I think there is more to this case than is currently in the public domain.
    The BBC stated the victim was arrested when he was attacking people but he was suffering 'a psychotic episode' when he was arrested. Does this make him a psychopath? (That's a genuine question, I don't know).

What else could the police do other than arrest him if was attacking people? The question is what is a reasonable level of restraint in this situation?
    Do we expect the police to know when to ask for a medical opinion regarding the mental state of someone they have just arrested for attacking people (I hope so but that's just my opinion)?
    Will people just pick up on the spelling mistakes in my posting rather than consider the questions it is asking?

16. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Looks correct enough to me mate, but I guess I'm no spelling Ace myself. ;)

Different things, just sound similar
    Psychotic episodes are most certainly not exclusive to Emotional Psychopaths.
    In fact some high functioning Psychopaths are apparently so in control that they are probably less likely to exhibit psychotic behaviour than the average man in the street.

You make a good point; That it appears to have been a very poor decision to initially allow this guy to resign, & the backtracking effectively undermines their integrity.
    It must be exceptionally difficult to maintain composure when dealing with someone like Mr Rigg, but as was pointed out earlier; the police are well remunerated. So IMHO if they do not perform that difficult role in an exemplary manner they should be fired & replaced with someone who will.

17. Thank you St. Marks. I hoped someone would know the difference. The trouble with some media types (including the BBC) is that they like to use scientific and pseudo-scientific terms that can lead to confusion. Joe and Joanna public would probably hear psychotic and think psychopath, and surely psychopaths should be locked up! In this case that confusion just clouds the issue.