675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Triumph engines in Moto2?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Wyrm, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Wyrm

Wyrm

There seems to be a lot of strong speculation that Triumph will be signing a contract to supply Moto2 engines for 2018 - race-prepared versions of the new Street Triple engine - in other words, engines based on the 675.
    News Article
    Bike Sports News Article

2. Yip this is what they were testing at Donington when they closed off access and moved a track day.

3. In the mix

In the mix

Are you sure ? As I believe it was a preview of a new model for dealers

4. Red675

Red675

Surely it was the 750 striple thingy with the new moto 2 engine in it?
    Cant see this as anything other than great news, well done triumph i thought you were going all shit on us :thumbup:

5. i hope that the itll fit in the daytona frame, if it does ill be as happy as a pig in shit!

6. rtt

rtt

Wow, this is awesome news and hopefully it means the Daytona might not be dead yet. Can't wait to see and hear these things.

I happened to be talking to Stuart Wood (head of engineering at triumph) about a month ago and asked what was happening with the Daytona. He said he could tell me, but then he'd have to kill me. Maybe this is what he meant ;):D:cool:

7. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

Be mega listening to a grid full of triples going for it

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. George29

George29

They're going to sound awesome but I'm not a huge fan of changing the cc of the intermediate class

9. MattPoss

MattPoss

10. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday... (Does this still apply?).

Here's hoping a new Daytona range is released alongside the start of Triumph providing the engines in Moto2... Otherwise we'll all be forced to call Suter, Tech3, T3/Spirit etc!

11. The smart money would be on a new Daytona or other monikered sportbike appearing in 2020/2021.

Let the Moto2 teams do the brunt of dev work see what works best with the engine etc.

I'm really gobsmacked by the news as it's restored my faith in Triumph somewhat. I'm hoping they have plans for us non-adventure, beard oil and tattoos types yet!

12. kwacky

kwacky

Nope. Honda sold a handful of CBR600rr's last year. HondaUK told me that there are quite a few in storage.

13. volant

volant

It does look like a dogs dinner now...

14. kwacky

kwacky

and it's not really been updated under the plastics since 2005.

15. Well they did the same to the blade. The 2008 only had minor updates until new one for this year. It's the Honda way, if it works, leave it alone.
    Like bdtd says it'll be a while before the moto2 development comes to road based fruit. Let's just hope that it does.

16. D41

D41

It'd be great, but I don't see it happening. I reckon every other major manufacturer out there is speculating the very same thing about their own motors....this just makes MCN because it's a British rag discussing a British bike.

17. Wyrm

Wyrm

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member