675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Used car deal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Captain Steffydog, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Ok, bit random this one, and I'm sure it's a bit of a no no.

Looking to buy a used car, from a main dealer, paying cash, so no finance kicker for the dealer, or warranty to sell, as it's included.

I'm trying to get a deal on the screen price. Not that it's not an ok price, it's just a challenge to me, and that floats my boat, I've emailed twice, asking and the guy, and he's just avoiding the question, with do you want a test drive, and other waffle.

Any red hot tips? Or do people just pay the price these days? is it a take it, or leave it attitude these days?

We're talking under £10k if it makes at odds.

Cheers

2. Go in and take a test drive but don't do a deal, negotiate the best price you can then go lower and walk away! When they have you there they want to shake hands there and then. Go back in 2 days and they will accept your lower offer... as long as its within reason. Don't deal on the first visit

3. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

I had doing the walk in mind, but it's not exactly close, 3-4 hours return.

Mmm, might have to go, and walk. Ok, ta.

4. Easier to do a deal towards the end of a month as the sales person will be trying to hit their end of month sales target.

Main dealer will be expecting to drop the screen price so the vehicle will be priced accordingly.

5. I'm finding on most things, if you ask for a discount then companies are prepared to do a deal. I know completely different, but just bought a Givi Tank Bag which was priced just under £50. Had seen it online for £39. When I asked dealer if he could do anything he dropped price to £40 so deal done. Bought some luggage and other items from BMW and got 10% on one lot and 20% on the other.

My Mrs is excellent at haggling. When we bought car last year she was really tough on negotiations and whilst we knew we wouldn't get what we were asking for we ended up with better deal that we had set our sights on

6. volant

volant

Sadly they're less interested in a cash buyer. That used to be leverage for a deal, but not any more.

They make a lot on the finance deals.

7. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

^^ I know, no finance kicker, and no px. Oh well.

8. martin675

martin675

I always waive there warranty and get some money off. Its hardly worth the paper its written on.

9. martin675

martin675

And just dont be too keen, i know its different but my last bicycle i got £350 off what was an original asking price off £1100

10. martin675

martin675

Or offer to take it away that day if its ready to go.

11. D41

D41

As long as you're prepared to walk you'll be OK.......remember, you're doing them a favour by buying from them, and not the other way around....they do this every day, you do it once every couple of years, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Well, the mid life crisis continues hehehe

Collected this yesterday:

VW Scirocco 2.0 Tdi GT Blue Motion.

179 miles home, returned over 61mpg, with the climate on, as ill never switch it off. £30 RFL

Salsa Red, looks just like our own Diablo Red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Was is it Swiss Tony that sold it to you :)
    [​IMG]

14. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Actually, it was a fit little northern bird, she insisted on giving me a hug, bless her, if she only knew hehehhe

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Ta :)

16. Legacey

Legacey Moderator Staff Member

You're easily tempted xx

17. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Actually, my daughter pointed out that the young lady was rather ample in the chest area, and I honestly hadn't noticed.

She asked for a hug, hey I couldn't say no!

That's the truth

I am so weak! Hehehehhe

18. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

Swiss tony would have made some reference to twin airbags there... Good job it's not a turbo convertible car for "full throttle Germanic top down" action..."

And nice car by the way!

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  19. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Another lovely looking car you've treated yourself to there Steffy, and amazingly frugal (or is that just the VW readout version of the economy ;)) )