675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

What a steaming load of tank.

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by emma-lou, May 17, 2016.

1. emma-lou

emma-lou

I don't think you should look for the sense in it...and, in their defence, I spose there's always the bucket of sand with the tab ends in!! Lol

2. D41

D41

That's fecking great!!

There was something similar in the US where some Muslim lass went to buy petrol...the attendant asked her over the speakers to remove her lid...so she did. She was wearing a hajib!!

TBH, I've had the same thing wearing my batman headwarmer-thing...it doesn't bother me one bit....riding out here is often a case of riding from one gas station to the next out in the mountains....a fuel stop is one of the few times to stop, take a break, smoke a ciggy & drink a fifth of vodka, etc.

I could complain about it all day long...but I'd only end up being pissed off and the attendant STILL wouldn't care.

Their fuel, their rule.

3. Lowest common denominator legislation. Which means absolutely fuck all at 3am pay at the pump stations.

Don't come running to me though if you set yourself on fire :rolleyes:

4. scaramanga

scaramanga

i fully understand this
    im involved with health and saftey at work and ive seen a few videos where fuel and othe products have been ignited buy some simple things like mobile phone ringing car alarm remotes and pure simple static electricity
    now if your sat on the bike open fuel cap and it ignites the first thing you will do is jump off
    the bike will fall to the ground and open fuel cap will allow petrol to flow all over the place simple aint it fire will spread dangerously in a filling station

5. I'm not so sure about mobile phone signals igniting fuel as I know the vast number of price signs at Shell petrol stations (and Mcdonalds) are phone transmitters.
    These have been in place over 15 years and none of them have caused fires.

6. You can also pay for your fuel at Shell stations now with your phone. Work that one out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JamWheel

JamWheel

As long as you're not filling they don't seem to mind now.

8. cpszx

cpszx

i normally use the left side of the pump to fill up. I put my side stand down, but stay on the bike, so that if anything did happen, i can get off and the bike will go to the stand without me having to think about it.
    if you use the right side of the pump, there is not always enough space to do that and still use the pump.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I like this, never entered my mind but makes a lot of sense.

I always fill sat on the bike with the stand down but never thought about which side of the pump I used.

I'm lazy so like to brim the tank as much as possible just so I don't have to go back quite as frequently haha

10. emma-lou

emma-lou

naff all evidence to show this is an actual problem now. Phones are very well insulated. A little while back there was some comedy research on TV about phones creating enough spark to ignite petrol- their conclusion showed there wasn't that much of a potential. (No pun intended)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Think mythbusters tackled it and weren't able to get an ignition

12. scaramanga

scaramanga

its not the signal as such
    ive watched a film where the phone was placed near some flamable liquid
    and theyt kept ringing it then it went up
    aparantly the battery was a poor conection and when the phone rang there was a light jump across the terminals (arch) and that was enough to ignite

13. scaramanga

scaramanga

theres enough room for a car so suerly dosnt matter which side you pull up on if on bike
    i can fill my car regardless of which side i pull up on drivers or passanger side

14. cpszx

cpszx

thats right, but in a car, you always have to get out to fill it up

but if you want to stay on the bike, you have to pull up close with the pump on the left to be able to put your card in etc, and this leave not a lot of room to put the stand down in some cases. I pull up this side if the other side is busy, but its more awkward if you do have to get off if you have pulled up close.

if you can jump off over the right hand side of the bike, no problem, but you cant get off on the left side easily with the pump next to you, if thats how you normally get off the bike.

if you get off the bike to fill, then it doesnt matter anyway.

15. Few years back I was sat on bike filing her up when a fire truck pulled up to next pump. The fireman driving the truck advised me that best to get off and fill up for the reason that if fuel does over flow or spit out, it can drop onto the hot engine and ignite with you sat on the bike. A least if you are off it you can get away. The fireman had evidently first hand experience of this happening

16. Rossgo

Rossgo

In my opinion I think health and safety is going mad as well as being PC. I understand there's a potential of anything happening and what with having so many people nowadays there's more likelihood of it happening but you can't wrap people up in cotton wool, it just feels like you can't go anywhere without being told what to do like kids. I swear we have more important things to worry about and think about than a 1 in a 1000 chance incident

• Like Like x 1
  17. D41

D41

Should've told him to feck off, and if it wasn't for fires he'd be out of a job.

Had this happen...can't remember whether it was mine or the ex's bike. And it wasn't me that fecked up, it was the r'tard BEFORE me that hadn't emptied all the petrol out of the nozzle. Something to watch out for.

Cost me a pair of gloves. And a blister.

18. SW73

SW73

In Spain I twice had an attendant smoking on the forecourt....seems they do lots differently there. This must be a southern thing...on the run from Plymouth I was twice told to get off the bike. How the f@%k it can be safer to fill the bike while holding it upright with one hand and manhandling the nozzle with the other, I have no idea...unless you southerners have an extra arm? It's simply not possible to fill a bike on its side stand. The knobber who wrote the guidance has clearly never tried to do it. This country boils my piss. We solve problems that don't exist. Perhaps filling stations could more usefully spend their time mopping up diesel spills than sticking poor interpretations of guidelines to their equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RICH675

RICH675

Looking through this old thread.. I didn't realise fuel is adapted/modified for seasonal use.

"or during times when the petrol has been adapted for winter temperatures and the fuel is more volatile."

It would make sense to buy winter fuel as our bikes would be more efficient/faster store it for summer use.
    I thought the air was also more dense in the winter allowing a better combustion process and improving performance as a result.
    Anyone clarify??
    Perhaps we should all go AV GAS.
    Hahaha

20. 675RX

675RX

Just ride all year Ladies