675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

What a stupid law

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by cpszx, Aug 31, 2016.

1. cpszx

cpszx

My STR is currently not insured, as the policy ran out, and it is ready for my wife to pass her test and insure it herself.
    However, it is MOT'd and I had kept the tax on it, not declared SORN, to save the hassle of doing it again when she passes.

But apparently it is an offence to have a vehicle taxed but not insured, even if you are not using it on the road. If it is not insured, you MUST declare SORN.
    What a stupid back to front idea of a law that is.

2. Legacey

Legacey Moderator Staff Member

Really? Someone must have got bored and decided to make up a ridiculous law! More money for the insurance companies

3. D41

D41

If it's taxed, then I guess they assume it's to be used on the roads, so ins. is necessary.

This sort of thing has come up before. I think you're just going to have to SORN it and then do it again.

Or find a new wife...preferably one who already has a licence...?

But anyway...tax & ins.....the two go hand-in-hand.

4. cpszx

cpszx

@D41
    but its a stupid assumption, forcing you to SORN it if its not insured, obviously there is no reason to keep it taxed, but to force it through legislation?

i have sorn'd it now, which might only be for 8 days.

dont tempt me, i dont need much of a push... ;-)

if i wanted to use it.. yes

5. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

Craig :) I hear your pain, but it took you about 3 mins to SORN, didn't it hehe.

Come round for a cuppa soon, sit in the garden, let uncle steffy help :)

6. cpszx

cpszx

• Like Like x 1
  7. The kick in the balls is they keep the money for that month even if you sorn it at the beginning and unless you get into the next month before you tax it again then you have to pay the month in full again. Tax man can kiss my..... I'd just stuff it the garage and leave it taxed. It's off the road and on private land it'd be fine.

8. cpszx

cpszx

@concretesnail but its not fine like that. you will get fined. thats the warning letter i got.
    if your bike is not listed on insurance database then it must be sorned by law.

9. scaramanga

scaramanga

its all bassed around cars
    its a offense to have a vehicle parked or driven on a public highway if its not fully legal that inclueds mot road tax as we still know it and insurance
    they dont seam to take into account that people have off road parking and garages to park there vehicles up over winter and such like

10. Stu675

Stu675

It is stupid.
    We shouldn't have to put up with stupid laws in our life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. emma-lou

emma-lou

I wonder if we can extend that to people too? me excluded of course.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rossgo

Rossgo

Totally agree it is silly. Someone is just trying to justify their job that's all

13. 0S2

0S2

Could always start an online petition that’s favoured by people who naively believe that they actually achieve something.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Stu675

Stu675

How long did it take for you to get the warning letter after your ins expired?

15. I'd understand if it was keep the on the public highway but private land there's nought they can do. It's not part of the highway so the law doesn't cover it. Otherwise any track day will see loads of folk breaking the law.
    Using vehicles which have been altered (track fairing, removal of plates, mirrors etc) without informing insurance company invalidates insurance so your driving a taxed vehicle without insurance.
    I would get it off the road and ignore it. If you can't get it off the highway then you're a bit stuck really. I chap I know puts it under the breakfast bar in his kitchen but then that probably invalidates his contents insurance. ;)

16. cpszx

cpszx

i will check when i get home mate.
    i think it might be about 10 weeks.

i left it taxed as her original test would have been july, so it was only a few weeks, not worth sorn.
    but as that changed to september, i guess i went over some advisory period.

@concretesnail it is in a garage. the notice letter makes no reference to it being on road etc.
    it is an offence to NOT sorn your vehicle if it is not insured.
    simple as that.

just making up laws to try and criminalise people for any reason

17. This needs a 'facebook campaign' ;)

Just another dvla/insurance cash generator.

18. That's shit. It's a money making scam bullshit type of affair. You loose any days out of the month as they only refund complete months and you can only buy complete month.

19. Rossgo

Rossgo

That is my view on petitions also OS2

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Simpsoni28

Simpsoni28

I nearly fell fowl of this when I bought my car just after the new system came in to play (the tax doesn't transfer rule).

Bought tax the day I picked up the car (from the local post office using the V5/C) but the dealer didn't date the log book until the day after. Turns out the system sees that the transfer occured on day 0 and any tax bought before that is automatically refunded to the previous owner.

Fast forward about 8 months and I receive a nasty letter from the DVLA threatening the fine (£80 IIRC) for not being taxed but insured...

Silly rule, but the system doesn't seem to pick these things up quickly enough at all.

Hopefully you didn't get fined and can just SORN it now...

• Informative Informative x 1